Kino:Picture // a review

I've been on such a metal bent lately that I decided I should get me some prog...I should keep looking. This ain't prog. It is made up of a who's who of the prog world, including former PT member Chris Maitland on drums, and journeyman Pete Trewavas of Marillion. The other two I haven't heard of before. However, it is good.

Its top-notch adult hard rock; the kind you'd think was in demand among people in my demographic, but you'll never hear it on any mainstream radio...I know, I know...how many times has someone posted that on this board. But its true. There is some killer stuff on this album. There is a couple of duffers as well ('Swimming In Women' for one doesn't grab me at all). The song 'Holding on' is killer AOR stuff. Hell, this is an album that someone like JDaniels would like, or even PwrPopGuy (where the hell is he?).

This reminds me a little of post-Hackett Genesis; the song structure is basic, but the writting is strong, and of course the musicianship is superb, though this isn't a virtuoso's album; think Toto sans the saccarine radio hits.(Does anyone remember the Toto album Isolation?) I'd even target this album for the John Mellencamp crowd; no, it doesn't sound like JM, but its the same kind of smart, tightly crafted piece of work that deserves to be heard in and outside of prog circles. Think of it as a cross-over album. Recommended.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    It is made up of a who's who of the prog world, including former PT member Chris Maitland on drums, and journeyman Pete Trewavas of Marillion. The other two I haven't heard of before.
    One of them is keyboardist extraordinaire John Beck (Unicorn Jones, It Bites, and one time member of Alan Parsons' touring band. Met him several times, somewhat aloof but quite talented. I've read of this album being recommended in several dfferent places now. I think its time to pick it up.

One of my favorites of the year. File under Pop-Prog along with your old Ambrosia album and mid-70s Kansas. I think it's much better than either tho.

"Swimming in Women" is hilarious. Never heard a song written from the perspective of a sperm before. Really creative, daring and funny.

Forum Regular
    I need to listen to this some more, it hasn't quite hit me yet, but gets of positive comments.

Bought it used off of ebay for like 8 clams.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas
    I need to listen to this some more, it hasn't quite hit me yet, but gets of positive comments.

Bought it used off of ebay for like 8 clams.

Dave
    Dave G?

The Merriest...

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Dave G?
    to you and the invisible Julie! The best of the holidays to both of you. Lots of opera singing to enjoy, I'm sure.

Forum Regular

yes it's me

I can't log in as Dave_G so I gotta go with Kansas as my name, for now.

I hope ya'll are well.

Dave

Thread Information