Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just got new Editors, Built to Spill, Interpol & Spoon!

So far, Built to Spill and Spoon are sounding really, really good. Editors is a bit more upbeat than their debut, but pretty good so far, and Interpol is getting better with each spin.

Anyway else get a listen to any of this besides Spoon? That was already covered on another thread.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

New BTS?!? Hell, its taken me this long to warm-up to the last year's, You In Reverse.

What's it called?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I still need to pick up that Spoon disk. And I've read some good stuff about the new Interpol. But I just bought new golf clubs so I'm trying to exercise some restraint on the CD spending for a few weeks...but...it's...so...hard!

Why does it have to be so hard?!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    ...but...it's...so...hard!

Why does it have to be so hard?!
    Tisk... That's just the way it is.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Not really new (unless you consider You In Reverse new ) but NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

My bad dude.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    New BTS?!? Hell, its taken me this long to warm-up to the last year's, You In Reverse.

What's it called?
    I should have said 'the latest Built to Spill'. I never got it for some unknown reason and a friend hooked me up. They don't even have a release date for a new one.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

42 Regular
    You know, I started putting BTS - YIR back into heavy rotation again about 2 months ago and it just won't come out! I might just be ready to name it my fave from them...and that's saying a lot. I flat-out love that disc, and it doesn't seem to fade for me.

And as I reported in an earlier thread, I am definitely digging that new Spoon. Solid songwriting, and great production values to boot. I'll check out Interpol's set at the 'palooza to see if their new stuff grooves me.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Yeah, it's quite good. I was a bit disappointed with...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    You know, I started putting BTS - YIR back into heavy rotation again about 2 months ago and it just won't come out! I might just be ready to name it my fave from them...and that's saying a lot. I flat-out love that disc, and it doesn't seem to fade for me.

And as I reported in an earlier thread, I am definitely digging that new Spoon. Solid songwriting, and great production values to boot. I'll check out Interpol's set at the 'palooza to see if their new stuff grooves me.
    ...Ancient Melodies of the Future (Down Slosh! Down!), but this one has me hooked. And the new Editors is right up my 1980s alley.

G Swish

You just can't seem to keep your mind out of the...

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Tisk... That's just the way it is.
    ...gutter, can you? Wish I had typed it first.

G Swish

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    They don't even have a release date for a new one.

Swish
    Considering it was 5 years betwwen You in Reverse and Ancient Melodies, I would advise against holding one's breath in anticipation.

Like Mr. MidFi I put YIR back into the rotation recently too, along with most of their albums, in honour of the anticipation of finally getting to see them in concert, and I agree with his assessment that it is among their finest albums, but all their albums are so closely packed together; that is they are all so good that my favorite could easily change from week to week with You In Reverse, Keep it Like A Secret, Perfect From Now On, and even There's Nothing Wrong with Love and Ancient Melodies too, taking their turn at the top of my personal list.

...probably my favorite band of the last 10 years.

I haven't heard the other albums yet, except of course Ga Ga Ga Ga, but I'm sure the Interpol will make its way into my library soon enough. I'll report when it does.

On an unrelated note, I did pick up Nick Cave's Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus, and it is a really great album; my most satisfying purchase of the last six months I'd say.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

...Ancient Melodies of the Future
    is their masterpiece, one of the best albums of the decade (so far).

You really think it's one of the best in the last decade?

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    is their masterpiece, one of the best albums of the decade (so far).
    Could I please have some of whatever you're smoking? Seriously though, I sometimes don't give a new cd a chance. If it doesn't grab me early, it doesn't make it into my rotation. This one never stuck with me, but it did garner some fairly lofty reviews, so maybe I need to dust it off and give it another go. But one of the best of the last decade? Nah.

Swish

Forum Regular
    So far, Built to Spill and Spoon are sounding really, really good. Editors is a bit more upbeat than their debut, but pretty good so far, and Interpol is getting better with each spin.

Anyway else get a listen to any of this besides Spoon? That was already covered on another thread.

Swish
    Ditto ditto on the Spoon, nuff said. I've been playing the Editors for a few weeks now and it's finally getting under my skin, it is more upbeat/commercial not as dark as their debut, but they still pull it off, vocalist Tom Smith makes a great sound.

The Interpol I haven't gone for yet, read mixed reviews so far, one asking where's the bass in the mix gone! As for Built to Spill I'm with everybody else it seems and treating You In Reverse as their latest!

And was it you who offered that download comp which featured Super Furry Animals, where did that come from?

Cheers
    Mike

Cheers
    Mike

sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    The Interpol I haven't gone for yet, read mixed reviews so far, one asking where's the bass in the mix gone!
    The bass and everything else is so totally brickwalled on the new Interpol that I don't know how anyone could pick out anything to say it's missing. Just a wall of noise that never lets up. The joys of modern CD mastering, as defined by the major labels. Even if one of these bands did, by some twisted alignment of the asteroids, manage to create a record that stood the test of time long into the future, who would listen to such crappy sound once the music world comes back to its collective senses (or actually starts using its senses)? Does that qualify as a rant. Sorry

But the new Interpol is kind of good. Unlistenable for the most part, unless you're really working on a good buzz, but probably better than Antics, which was already mastered pretty loud.

And on a completely different note, I'm listening right now to the very nice new Electrelane CD, No Shouts No Calls, recorded in Michigan at Key Club with the husband and wife team of Jessica Ruffins and Bill Skibbe, who also put together Steve Albini's Electrical Audio studio. And mastered very nicely by Steve Rooke at Abbey Road. Still a bit louder than the previous albums they did with Albini at the controls, but this I can listen to all day, because there is some real musical dynamics left. Some nuance. And it still rocks. This one just grows and grows for me, their best yet. So much the sound of a band playing in unison. My CD of the year. And the vinyl is probably even that much better. Jonathan Shipley has a cool observation in his blog about the song playing right now for me ...

'Saturday' is even better. It starts with a delicate guitar intro. "I've got a photo from a long time ago", Verity sings "Put it in your pocket, hold it in your pocket", Mia replies. "I've got a ring that my grandmother gave to me", Verity sings back, inviting Mia's "Wear it on your finger, wear it on your finger". Suddenly the drums double their pace and a heartbreaking four note piano line appears from nowhere, making every hair on my neck and arms clamber to its feet.

http://assistantbrighton.blogspot.co...-no-calls.html

edit: fixed link for blogspot
    Last edited by Monkey Bones; 07-23-2007 at 11:49 AM.

Funny thing is...

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Bones
    The bass and everything else is so totally brickwalled on the new Interpol that I don't know how anyone could pick out anything to say it's missing. Just a wall of noise that never lets up. The joys of modern CD mastering, as defined by the major labels. Even if one of these bands did, by some twisted alignment of the asteroids, manage to create a record that stood the test of time long into the future, who would listen to such crappy sound once the music world comes back to its collective senses (or actually starts using its senses)? Does that qualify as a rant. Sorry

But the new Interpol is kind of good. Unlistenable for the most part, unless you're really working on a good buzz, but probably better than Antics, which was already mastered pretty loud.

And on a completely different note, I'm listening right now to the very nice new Electrelane CD, No Shouts No Calls, recorded in Michigan at Key Club with the husband and wife team of Jessica Ruffins and Bill Skibbe, who also put together Steve Albini's Electrical Audio studio. And mastered very nicely by Steve Rooke at Abbey Road. Still a bit louder than the previous albums they did with Albini at the controls, but this I can listen to all day, because there is some real musical dynamics left. Some nuance. And it still rocks. This one just grows and grows for me, their best yet. So much the sound of a band playing in unison. My CD of the year. And the vinyl is probably even that much better. Jonathan Shipley has a cool observation in his blog about the song playing right now for me ...
    ...I've only listened to the Interpol in my car, hardly a place for critical review. I just got the Electrelane cd but haven't opened the box yet, but plan to take it on my 2 day trip tomorrow.

Swish Baby

I just got the Electrelane cd but haven't opened the box yet, but plan to take it on my 2 day trip tomorrow.
    "Tram 21" is one of the most motoriffic tunes I've heard in a very long time. Wir fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn, indeed. There's a video for the song, shot while motoring around Katwijk in Holland. Be a great song to hit the road. I think they wrote the album in Berlin, and it does pick up some of that Krautrock influence of bands like Neu! and Kraftwerk, but mostly on the subtle, more organic side. Have a good trip

Comes with a pretty cool poster with the lyrics and notes on the back as well, by Lecia Dole-Recio, kind of like something inspired by Wassily Kandinsky, whom I love.

'Saturday' is even better. It starts with a delicate guitar intro. "I've got a photo from a long time ago", Verity sings "Put it in your pocket, hold it in your pocket", Mia replies. "I've got a ring that my grandmother gave to me", Verity sings back, inviting Mia's "Wear it on your finger, wear it on your finger". Suddenly the drums double their pace and a heartbreaking four note piano line appears from nowhere, making every hair on my neck and arms clamber to its feet.
    I like that review. Is this something that I would like, do you think?

Thanks for linking up that song Davey. You're right, it's not my thing. I don't hate it, but I don't see myself listening to a whole CD of it either. Just goes to show how powerful a good review can be.

I need to get myself into a store to pick up that new Spoon disk though.

Thanks for linking up that song Davey. You're right, it's not my thing. I don't hate it, but I don't see myself listening to a whole CD of it either.
    You're welcome, happy to do it. Fun to see more mature folks like myself (and most others around here, even though some of em claim to be much younger than me, don't believe em ) take a chance on some new sounds. So much of what we ultimately really fall in love with still has to be built on some foundation, and that often starts way back when we were young. I think bands like Electrelane are destined to stay in that category, not an easy sound to just embrace without already loving the musical journey that preceded it. The latest from Blonde Redhead and Shearwater are a bit like that too, and not surprisingly, two of my current favorites. Then again, I may just have crappy taste.

Just goes to show how powerful a good review can be.
    Yep, and how subjective music can be, though sometimes I do enjoy the challenge of discovering why a critic felt so strongly about an album that I don't particularly like. Especially if I invested the time and money in it because of that review. That's probably the story behind more of my favorites these days than I realize. But I am kind of a sucker for reviews like that blogspot, ones that convey such a tangible connection between the music and listener.

I checked out the Blonde Redhead that you kept raving about. I didn't like that much either. C'est la vie.

I checked out the Blonde Redhead that you kept raving about. I didn't like that much either. C'est la vie.
    Yea, good example of what I was just saying, without my love of all that ethereal guitar haze dream pop from the 80s, that in turn lead to my big love of the shoegaze bands of the 90s and a further exploration of the former, hard to imagine 23 making such a big impact on me. But I do love that mix of Cocteau Twins and My Bloody Valentine that they've grown into now, especially when mixed in with some of the harder guitar driven songs from earlier in their career, where they owed a little more to an unlikely (unholy?) mix of Abbey Road-era Beatles and Daydream-era Sonic Youth (and maybe even some spacey David Bowie). So many things I love now come dragging around a lot of Velvet Underground baggage from my misspent early rock and roll days.

Man, that's way too much analysis for me.

Either I dig it or I don't.

Either I dig it or I don't.
    Totally dude .... but still sometimes fun to know why, or why not

This could be my favorite of the year so far...

"Tram 21" is one of the most motoriffic tunes I've heard in a very long time. Wir fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn, indeed. There's a video for the song, shot while motoring around Katwijk in Holland. Be a great song to hit the road. I think they wrote the album in Berlin, and it does pick up some of that Krautrock influence of bands like Neu! and Kraftwerk, but mostly on the subtle, more organic side. Have a good trip

Comes with a pretty cool poster with the lyrics and notes on the back as well, by Lecia Dole-Recio, kind of like something inspired by Wassily Kandinsky, whom I love.
    ...well, maybe not my favorite, but what a treasure. Yes, I only listened to it in my car, but the recording is superb, the band tight, and the vocals totally captivating. This reminds me of everything I like about music that's fairly simplistic and not overly produced, but with great melodies and a sense of 'something more' going on. It's going to be in my regular rotation for months to come.

Swish

Rant on. So much of what I hear in music these days is mastered so badly, I may as well sell off my equipment and just buy a boombox. What on earth are they thinking?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information