Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Yes, it's MIDI capable and with a USB you just plug it in. It records the notes and you can then massge them and fix the bumbling. Then you drop attributes on them. Kerjillions of them. It sounds like ACID isn't quite as flexable on the little bit I've read. The Apple store are selling a cheapie $99 keyboard, but every single store in Nor Cal sold out of them in 2 days. Even the music stores just smirk at me when I go in and ask. They just shake their heads- "I coulda sold 10 of those freekin' things today!". That's pretty much all I'm willing to spend so I'll just wait til the next shipment.

Gack! Too elaborate. The program is so sophisticated that this newbie geek won't need anything more than a simple inpoot device for a while.

This just in: Steve Jobs want to own all the ways to make and distribute music with the computer.

Roger wilco!
    Acid comes in a variety of flavours and prices ;-) I've no idea where garage band fits in.

It's a good price for the MAudio keyboard... however. These are the entry level MIDI controllers we are dealing with here. With all the quality and durability of your QWERTY keyboard. Of these, probably the best is the Edirol followed by the Evolutions with MAudio's languishing in last place. I think the best comment that I've ever heard about them was that they were "adequate". I've got an Evolution Mk 261 which looks slightly more complex than the one you are looking at and is a predecessor of the 461 that blew your mind. It's a charmless hunk of plastic but it's 18mths old and still functioning. 61 keys are generally thought to be the minimum if you actually want to play with both hands.

All the nobs on the 461 are simply available to be assigned to the controls on your software. They don't actually have to be used at all. If you were hammering along on your Mellotron or Moog Modular you might assign some to a filters cutoff and resonance and the sliders to your mixing desk... whatever. Sure wish I'd got them, but then I'm a gear junkie and if it came to a choice between $99 for the MAudio and $250 for the Evolution I'd go for the Evo every time. However you seem much more disciplined than me :-)

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Crystal Method-Legion Of Boom
    Report, please.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

OK...I'm late and gonna be brief, but here's what I've been hearing lately...

Johnny Cash: Unearthed
    Simply great. More uneven than the regular American recordings releases, but plenty of burried gems, and the last disc with highlights from the whole series is nice.

Handsome Family: Singing Bones
    Finally picked this up and it's great. Not gonna make any new fans, but old ones should be happy. Another chapter of gothic americana, most closely resembling Twilight of their other albums.

And, how about just a list for a change:

Peace Orchestra
    Miles Davis: Walkin'
    Cannonball Adderly: Somethin' Else
    Electric Magnolia Company
    David Johansen and the Harry Smiths: Shaker
    Macy Gray: The Trouble with Being Myself
    The Vibrators: Batteries Included
    Massive Attack: Mezzanene
    Jesus and Mary Chain: Darklands
    OutKast: Speakerboxxx/Love Below
    DJ Spooky: Subliminal Minded EP
    Best of Earth, Wind and Fire
    Broken Social Scene's latest
    Wheat's latest
    Elvis Preseley (self-titled RCA debut LP)
    Kings of Leon: Youth and Manhood

A few other things, but I'm too lazy to write any more now.

Lou Reed—Coney Island Baby, Street Hassle, Legendary Hearts, New Sensations

Lucinda Williams—World Without Tears

The Bats—Daddy’s Highway & The Order Of Things

The History Of The Bonzo Dog Band

Jimi Hendrix—The Cry Of Love & Crash Landing

The Smiths—The Queen Is Dead

Concert For The People of Kampuchea w/The Who, Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello, Rockpile, the Clash, the Specials, the Pretenders, Queen, & Ian Dury

Los Straitjackets—Supersonic Guitars In 3-D

Jet—Get Born

David Bowie—Hunky Dory

John Cale—Honi Soit

I don't like others.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Report, please.
    I mentioned a little bit last week since I managed to get it Friday before the official release date so I'm just going to elaborate a bit from there.

Overall it's probably not as good as Vegas in my opinion. The first thing I noticed is that there isn't much boom. I'm just thinking that the Legion of Boom would, you know, have some wicked low bass and I can't shake the impression that the booms are much bigger and more frequent on Vegas. Also, when the Crystal Method tries to break away from their normal routine it doesn't have the same feel of boldness and accomplishment that accompanies something that would come from the Chemical Brothers or even Death In Vegas. It just feels forced and somewhat out of sync with the rest of the album.

Like I said, there are some great tracks that highlight what the band does well. Starting Over, True Grit, Weapons Of Mass Distortion, and I Know It's You are all great tracks. The last one features vocals by Milla Jovavich which starts out promising enough but she really wanted to do more. Basically they get a line sung in a breathy, haunting, and quite sexy voice and just loop it and disperse it throughout the song. She really needed to be featured more prominently. I like the Method more when they work to fuse the techno and rock together in a loud and brash sort of way. Of course they also like to work in some hip hop along the way and I think those efforts are the weakest but luckily there's not too much of that here.

I really like the album but some parts are stronger than the whole. I also wish it was a bit more consistent and of course wish it had more BOOM!

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Forum Regular

Youse guys talkin bout reggae music

I listen to a lot of reggae too.

Wonder what ya'll were inferring?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    OK...I'm late and gonna be brief, but here's what I've been hearing lately...

Handsome Family: Singing Bones
    Finally picked this up and it's great. Not gonna make any new fans, but old ones should be happy. Another chapter of gothic americana, most closely resembling Twilight of their other albums.
    I've been looking for this, to no avail. I don't have any of their other albums, although I've heard a couple songs of theirs (a song about wine comes to mind). Is this one a good place to start, or should I look for an earlier one?
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Hard to say. I've got three of their, the latest, Twilight, and Through the Trees. I'd actually be hard pressed to pick a favorite. Twilight and Singing Bones are more similar. Through the Trees has a bit more variety of sound throughout the record, so that may be in it's favor. I haven't heard their other stuff, so I can't make comparisons there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    I listen to a lot of reggae too.

Wonder what ya'll were inferring?

Dave
    <---- perma-grin.. remember that??

lol..

thems was the days..
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information