View Poll Results: Kinky?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't like new stuff. Get out of my face.

0 0%
  • Ho hum. Guess I'll try it. Sometime. What's for lunch?

1 50.00%
  • Hmmm, lyrics en espanol? Post this on the Spanish board, dork.

0 0%
  • This place stinks, and so do your recommendations.

1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

It's KINKY, baby!

Check these guys out. I picked it up at Tower because it was $9 and I liked the cover. Interesting.

Listen here.

AllMusic sez "Somewhat of an anomaly, Kinky is from Mexico, signed to a London-based label, performs in both Europe and America, and synthesizes several styles of music in its music. Comprised of five bandmembers — vocalist/guitarist Gilberto Cerezo, guitarist Carlos Chairez, keyboardist/programmer Ulises Lozano, bassist Cesar Pliego, and drummer Omar Gongora — Kinky began its unique career route in Monterrey, Mexico. The band's big break came at the Battle of the Bands in New York City, an event at the annual Latin Alternative Music Conference (LAMC) in August 2000. At this event, Kinky battled many of the best unsigned Latin American bands in America at the time, defeating every contender. Crowned as the winner, Kinky walked away from the LAMC and began considering label deals.

"Sonic 360, a small and unproven London-based label distributed by Nettwerk America at the time, signed Kinky, setting the stage for the group's eventual debut full-length, its 2002 self-titled album. On Kinky, the band synthesized Latin rock with electronica, rarely following any precedent. This daring sound garnered attention around the world and Kinky began touring in support of the album, playing shows in both Europe and America. A live band as much as a studio band, Kinky impressed many with its live performances, leading some to conclude that Kinky is in fact a better live than studio band."

It sure is different!

fp
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Check these guys out. I picked it up at Tower because it was $9 and I liked the cover. Interesting.

It sure is different!

fp
    I have been planning on using the track Mas, which is the first cut from the first Kinky album for an electronica comp somewhere down the road. The first one seemed kind of uneven, typical of my reaction to a lot of albums in the dance genre. I like the harder edged electronica but then they throw all the pure dance things in and it kind of bores me a bit. I haven't heard this album though.

What's the world coming to? First RPM sends out an electronica mystery disc and now Finch is recomending electronica from the Nettwerk label. What is going on here!!!
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Hey Finch, thanks for the rec. I finally got around to picking this one up and quite like it. Kind of reminds me of PWEI in some ways -- hip-hoppy with a rock-n-roll sensibility. Lots of hooks, melikes.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I have this for sale on Ebay right now, and it was sitting on top of the small pile I set aside for listening to out of my current batch of auctions. So I just threw it on. It's okay, maybe a bit dance-heavy, but that's my only real objection so far. However, it doesn't grab me enough to want to come back to it all that much, either.

In a similar vein, here's something else that I have for sale also that's kinda similar, though not really. Senor Coconut. Funny covers of Smoke On The Water, Beat It, and Smooth Operator...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's KINKY, baby!-senor-coconut.jpg  

I don't like others.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Funny, I just pulled that (Fiesta Songs) while pulling out all my 2003 releases, trying to figure out what my Top X of 2003 were. Not sure it will make the cut, but it was certainly successful.

I disagree that Kinky was dance-heavy -- they want to rock (to quote a review I recently read about them)! I'm not much of a dancer, was listening in my car, and did not find myself getting impatient whatsoever.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information