I'm going to see Elbow!

Printable View

• 06-17-2011, 06:08 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    I'm going to see Elbow!
    I love this band and I have the folks here to thank for the introduction! We saw them do a short set opening for Coldplay a couple of years ago and I've been waiting for them to come back on a tour of their own. Well, they're finally coming and I bought my tickets this morning.

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • 06-17-2011, 06:25 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Wow. I just found out that this is the only Canadian date and only one of seven North America dates. I feel really lucky to be able to see this show!

Sept. 18, ACL Festival, Austin TX

Sept. 20, Atlanta, GA

Sept. 22, Washington DC

Sept. 25, New York, NY

Sept. 26, Boston, MA

Sept. 28, Toronto, ON

Oct. 1, Los Angeles, CA
  • 06-17-2011, 08:23 AM
    Swish
    You finally made me jealous.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Wow. I just found out that this is the only Canadian date and only one of seven North America dates. I feel really lucky to be able to see this show!

Sept. 18, ACL Festival, Austin TX

Sept. 20, Atlanta, GA

Sept. 22, Washington DC

Sept. 25, New York, NY

Sept. 26, Boston, MA

Sept. 28, Toronto, ON

Oct. 1, Los Angeles, CA

I suppose I could get to the show in D.C., but that's a bit of a haul, especially for a Thursday night. Looks like another Friday off.
  • 06-17-2011, 08:46 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    D.C? Pfffft. Come see them in Toronto. It's only an eight hour drive. ;)
  • 06-17-2011, 10:59 AM
    Swish
    That's a great idea!
    Quote:

D.C? Pfffft. Come see them in Toronto. It's only an eight hour drive. ;)

Oh, that's a Thursday night. Never mind.
  • 06-24-2011, 07:51 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Hey Swisharoo! Elbow added a Philly show. The Philadelphia Popped Music Festival on September 23. The Shins are playing that festival too. I'd love to see them again.
  • 06-26-2011, 02:59 PM
    Swish
    Yes, I did see they were added but...
    Quote:

Hey Swisharoo! Elbow added a Philly show. The Philadelphia Popped Music Festival on September 23. The Shins are playing that festival too. I'd love to see them again.

...I'm sure I'd want to go to a 'festival' with a bunch of bands. Then again...
  • 06-26-2011, 04:16 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Did you mean "I'm NOT sure...?". If so, I hear you. My festival days are over. Although I am tempted to join Mr. Midfi at Lollapalooza one year.
  • 06-28-2011, 06:28 AM
    Swish
    I won't say mine are over...
    Quote:

Did you mean "I'm NOT sure...?". If so, I hear you. My festival days are over. Although I am tempted to join Mr. Midfi at Lollapalooza one year.

...but I will pick and choose carefully. One that I will go back to is the NOLA Jazz Fest. They really know how to run it, it's all daytime so there's little chance for problems with idiots, the food is great and they have such a fantastic variety of music. There's a jazz tent when you can sit on an actual chair (a gospel tent too) and get out of the sun. Been there twice and will go again within the next couple years.
  • 06-28-2011, 09:39 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    ...but I will pick and choose carefully. One that I will go back to is the NOLA Jazz Fest. They really know how to run it, it's all daytime so there's little chance for problems with idiots, the food is great and they have such a fantastic variety of music. There's a jazz tent when you can sit on an actual chair (a gospel tent too) and get out of the sun. Been there twice and will go again within the next couple years.

Yeah, I'd do that. ...so maybe those days aren't over. I mean, if an old geezer like you can do festivals, then a young pup like me should have no problems. :D
  • 06-28-2011, 02:03 PM
    Finch Platte
    Quote:

I love this band and I have the folks here to thank for the introduction! We saw them do a short set opening for Coldplay a couple of years ago and I've been waiting for them to come back on a tour of their own. Well, they're finally coming and I bought my tickets this morning.

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I'm with Swish, you finally picked a good band to go see- err, I'm jealous, too!

Just recently discovered them, and they're pretty damn awesome. We're gonna want a full writeup on the show from you, FA.
  • 06-29-2011, 05:40 AM
    Mr MidFi
    Quote:

I'd love to have you along, FA, for realz. This year's lineup may be less than ideal (especially compared to the last 2 years), but I have a feeling it'll come back strong in '12 to celebrate the impending apocalypse.

Regardless, I'll be there for all 33 hours this year... and I'll file my usual mini-report shortly afterward.
  • 06-29-2011, 05:58 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr MidFi View Post
    I'd love to have you along, FA, for realz. This year's lineup may be less than ideal (especially compared to the last 2 years), but I have a feeling it'll come back strong in '12 to celebrate the impending apocalypse.

Regardless, I'll be there for all 33 hours this year... and I'll file my usual mini-report shortly afterward.

I'm somewhat serious. It's on my bucket list. I'd love to come back to Chicago and see more of the city and, of course, the music. I could use an experienced Lollapaloozian to show me around. :D

On a similar topic. Have you given any more thought to seeing American Idiot in Toronto this winter? I'm surprised that tickets aren't available for sale to the general public yet (only to subscribers of a full theatre series), but I can let you know when they do go on sale.

We bought tickets to go on my birthday...which happens to be your birthday! We could spend our birthday's together! That would be so cool! :D
  • 06-29-2011, 07:28 AM
    Mr MidFi
    Quote:

I'm somewhat serious. It's on my bucket list. I'd love to come back to Chicago and see more of the city and, of course, the music. I could use an experienced Lollapaloozian to show me around. :D

On a similar topic. Have you given any more thought to seeing American Idiot in Toronto this winter? I'm surprised that tickets aren't available for sale to the general public yet (only to subscribers of a full theatre series), but I can let you know when they do go on sale.

We bought tickets to go on my birthday...which happens to be your birthday! We could spend our birthday's together! That would be so cool! :D

A) You're right, having an experienced fest-guide is a huge plus for a first-timer, and I'd be more than happy to show you the ropes.

B) I would be very interested in coming to TO for an AI show, and so would my SO (Mrs_MidFi). I think a birthday double-fiesta would be an excellent idea. If you can make that happen, we would appreciate it immensely!

Do you still have my email addy?
  • 06-29-2011, 07:49 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

A) You're right, having an experienced fest-guide is a huge plus for a first-timer, and I'd be more than happy to show you the ropes.

B) I would be very interested in coming to TO for an AI show, and so would my SO (Mrs_MidFi). I think a birthday double-fiesta would be an excellent idea. If you can make that happen, we would appreciate it immensely!

Do you still have my email addy?

Fantastic! Please PM your email addy. I'm not sure whether I still have it and you'll save me from having to search for it. :)
  • 06-29-2011, 08:09 AM
    Mr MidFi
    Quote:

Fantastic! Please PM your email addy. I'm not sure whether I still have it and you'll save me from having to search for it. :)

I PMed it to you... and then I found your email addy and sent you one of those, too.
  • 06-29-2011, 09:09 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    So I was just looking at the Lollapalooza line-up. Who's the bonehead that scheduled Muse and Coldplay at the same time? I'd think that you'd want to have two of the biggest bands on the planet playing different nights. :frown2:
  • 06-29-2011, 09:32 AM
    Mr MidFi
    Quote:

So I was just looking at the Lollapalooza line-up. Who's the bonehead that scheduled Muse and Coldplay at the same time? I'd think that you'd want to have two of the biggest bands on the planet playing different nights. :frown2:

It's been a bone of contention on the Lolla discussion board, believe me. Bottom line, it's never easy working with the scheduling logistics of multiple big-time touring bands. Foo Fighters and Eminem are both pretty huge these days as well.

My biggest decision this year is probably The Cars vs. Flogging Molly at 4:00pm Sunday.
  • 06-29-2011, 09:50 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

My biggest decision this year is probably The Cars vs. Flogging Molly at 4:00pm Sunday.

I can see that that would be a tough decision.

But will you choose Muse, or Coldplay? :wink5:
  • 06-29-2011, 10:14 AM
    Mr MidFi
    Quote:

But will you choose Muse, or Coldplay? :wink5:

Actually, Coldplay. They're sort of a guilty pleasure... and for whatever reason, I just can't get into Muse. By all rights, I should... I like Queen, I like Radiohead, I like neo-prog like Porky Tree. But not Muse. Go figure. [shrug]
  • 06-29-2011, 10:30 AM
    Stone
    I have no desire to go to festivals. Maybe I'm just old and boring, but I really have no desire to spend a day or two outside, surrounded by a bunch of stinky idiots.
  • 06-29-2011, 10:36 AM
    Mr MidFi
    I can definitely understand how it’s not for everyone. And that’s especially true of those camping-out festivals like Bonnaroo, where everyone gets stinky by day 2. But all I can say is, I have a great time every time I go to Lolla. Being able to take the train home each night probably has a lot to do with that.