Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Hey guys, it's a song! We're not voting on this chap for President. Chill out.

If we all crapped on every song that we didn't like or agree with the lyrics too...well...we'd never get off the crapper, would we? Let's put things in perspective, shake hands, and walk away friends...or at least acquantances.

And Dave918...please stick around. I, for one, enjoy your contributions to this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave918
    You can disagree, but the degree of distain and hate I see in some of these responses goes beyond a dissenting opinion.
    Oh, there's plenty of disdain. But don't confuse ridicule for hate.

The intent of this thread was to acknowledge a talented and gifted songwriter, nothing more, nothing less. No response was expected or needed.
    Don't you mean "No negative response was expected or needed."? If all the responses had been positive you would've been happy with that.

Now I’m done….with this thread and this board – and that is my right.
    That's something like three times you mentioned "rights" yet no one has implied in the slightest that you shouldn't post here. It's a total cop-out and I've seen it many times in public debate these days. (I call it Blacklist Envy.) Again, the song is excrutiatingly simple minded. It should've been called "I Remember My Neighborhood". But, instead, he elevates it to a commentary on the country as a whole and ties it to Kennedy's death. Yeah, a lot of expectations about leadership were blown away that day but Stewart is wrong to say the dreams themselves were shattered. Now it's 2006 and making a causal relationship between today's problems and Kennedy's death makes as much sense as a primitive man blaming a thunderstorm on some berries he ate. Or as much sense as Hank Williams Jr. pining for the days when women didn't use microwaves.

Quote Originally Posted by BradH
    Now it's 2006 and making a causal relationship between today's problems and Kennedy's death makes as much sense as a primitive man blaming a thunderstorm on some berries he ate. Or as much sense as Hank Williams Jr. pining for the days when women didn't use microwaves.
    Pop culture has long earmarked Kennedy's assasination as a turning point in our society, or as they put it "the end of our (country's) innocense". I buy that. Its not that they're saying that Kennedy's death allowed all these bad things to happen, because there was plenty of crap happening in our country at the time, and Kennedy himself was involved in his share of skullduggery. Most of us had a false sense of security and righteousness up to the time that Kennedy was killed before our very eyes. It was an awakening of sorts for us. We were a very jaded society after that.

When he uses the Kennedy assaination in his song, I'm sure it was used as a metaphor. Not that his song is all that original, as many writers, of both song and print, have used the Kennedy assasination turning point thing ad nauseum, to the point of cliche. But its still a valid point.

I understand where you are coming from, though I think most of the time these politically charged rants are mean spirited. It is after all, a music board. I'd rather read someone's biased opinion about why he likes a song (right or wrong), than to stare at the same 25 posts for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    I understand where you are coming from, though I think most of the time these politically charged rants are mean spirited. It is after all, a music board. I'd rather read someone's biased opinion about why he likes a song (right or wrong), than to stare at the same 25 posts for a week.
    So would I. I don't recall anyone saying it was inappropriate to post those lyrics here. And if someone wants a debate then let the debate begin. So what? The song takes a narrow, sentimental view of America's past taken to Lee Greenwood extremes. So if somebody else things it's a bs song then, yeah, there's gonna be a debate about society's past because that's what the song is about.

Keep in mind, those were lyrics he posted, not sheet music.

The song takes a narrow, sentimental view of America's past taken to Lee Greenwood extremes.
    God bless America, Land that I love
    Stand beside her, And guide her
    Through the night with the light from above

Through the mountains, and the praries
    To the oceans, white with foam
    God bless America, my home sweet home

God bless America (you dumb Polock)
    My home sweet home

(Archie Bunker version 1971)

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    God bless America, Land that I love
    I'm still waiting for the Roger Waters tribute to Dale Ernhardt.

I'm still waiting for the Roger Waters tribute to Dale Ernhardt.

I'm still waiting for that Dicksy Chix tribute to Pink Floyd.

I have known Dave918 for 5 years. This is a good guy,who is passionate in his love of music.
    This guy would give you the shirt or cd off of his back.His knowledge of music is deep and his cd collection is akin to wallpaper
    Hang around D

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by opt80
    I have known Dave918 for 5 years. This is a good guy,who is passionate in his love of music.
    This guy would give you the shirt or cd off of his back.His knowledge of music is deep and his cd collection is akin to wallpaper
    I'm sure you're right. Just don't tell me that criticism of a song is a thread crap.

Just don't tell me that criticism of a song is a thread crap.

Thread crapper

Sorry if I offended...

Just, when I saw lyrics posted that way, it seemed like actually reading and commenting on them would be what was merited. And, frankly, when you post something on a board...which in turn holds whatever you post out for comments...not all comments will be positive.

Hope this thread hasn't totally run you off because more people with more varied opinions make things more interesting...but to be honest, if it has, I don't know what message board won't end up with a thread that will do the same.

Anytime you post anywhere, you're gonna get some positive and some negative reactions. Just like in the real world when you open your mouth, some people like what comes out and some people don't. It's not the end of the world.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    People need thicker skins. 'cept me, mine's plenty thick.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

It's all about the music! Dave918's Avatar
    This thread has warped my fragile little mind, screw you guys!

Borrowing a bit from Cartman there, but seemed to fit. This thread should never have been, and has run it's course IMO. My apologies to those that were offended by the song. I got wrapped up into it and posted about it, simple as that - and no I did not care whether or not it received positive or negative comments - just surprised by the level of distain and how quickly it degenerated. It was not posted for discussion - believe it or not; doesn’t matter; lesson learned; on to better and brighter.

-dave
    "Wrong is right." ~ Thelonius Monk

This thread has warped my fragile little mind, screw you guys!

Borrowing a bit from Cartman there, but seemed to fit. This thread should never have been, and has run it's course IMO. My apologies to those that were offended by the song. I got wrapped up into it and posted about it, simple as that - and no I did not care whether or not it received positive or negative comments - just surprised by the level of distain and how quickly it degenerated. It was not posted for discussion - believe it or not; doesn’t matter; lesson learned; on to better and brighter.

-dave

Hey Dave, man, you made my day. Glad you're back. I had to start "Blues Monday" without you.
    Hope you're alright.

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

It's all about the music! Dave918's Avatar
    Hey Bernd, gonna post my Monday blues right now!

-dave
    "Wrong is right." ~ Thelonius Monk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information