Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Stainmaster Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Fumbuck
    Posts
    2,628

    I know there's at least one Dire Straits/MK fan here...

    ...so pick up the latest issue of Mojo mazagine, the one with Brian Wilson of the cover (unfortunately), and enjoy the phat interview with Mr. Knoffler.

    Careful, I'm seeing that there may be alternative covers with Blur. Why, oh why couldn't I have gotten THAT one???

    http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzkyWDU4OA...VQQDq/$_35.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Stainmaster Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Fumbuck
    Posts
    2,628
    130 views, not ONE response! God, I love this place, it makes me feel so independent.

  3. #3
    I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    VB VA
    Posts
    2,307
    Well Finch there are at least two of us.
    Dire Straits music is great and is always well engineered. I have said it before but I think "Brothers in Arms" is a great reference recording for testing any system.

  4. #4
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    Well Finch there are at least two of us.
    Dire Straits music is great and is always well engineered. I have said it before but I think "Brothers in Arms" is a great reference recording for testing any system.
    I like half of it but wish MK would just play and not sing so much.

  5. #5
    3LB
    3LB is offline
    cunning linguist 3LB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    I like half of it but wish MK would just play and not sing so much.
    Of all the great guitarists who endeavor to sing nothing MK has ever done is as off-putting as Joe Satriani, Steve Hackett or Steve Howe (when they sing).
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

  6. #6
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LB View Post
    Of all the great guitarists who endeavor to sing nothing MK has ever done is as off-putting as Joe Satriani, Steve Hackett or Steve Howe (when they sing).
    I agree with most of that, I just find MK to have no range and just about everything he sings sounds the same to me.

  7. #7
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    There's the (main) difference between you and me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    ...so pick up the latest issue of Mojo mazagine, the one with Brian Wilson of the cover (unfortunately), and enjoy the phat interview with Mr. Knoffler.

    Careful, I'm seeing that there may be alternative covers with Blur. Why, oh why couldn't I have gotten THAT one???

    http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzkyWDU4OA...VQQDq/$_35.JPG
    I picked it up because Brian Wilson was on the cover. Sorry, but in the annals of rock history, he will be revered quite a bit more than MK could ever hope to be. Not to say MK wasn't 'good', but he will never match the genius of Brian Wilson, nor the influence.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  8. #8
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    354
    I'll give you my DS moment, back when they first burst onto the music scene (in the US), their song Sultans of Swing was their first big hit and I recall I had a job as a driver and I would listen to that song over and over, I could not get enough. The guitar in it still amazes me, it is just so sweet and different than anyone else. Another huge fav is the song Brothers in Arms, it always reminds me of the Kenneth Branagh movie Henry V for some reason...

  9. #9
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    If I had to pick a single favorite, it would be One World from Bros in Arms.

  10. #10
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    Well Finch there are at least two of us.
    Dire Straits music is great and is always well engineered. I have said it before but I think "Brothers in Arms" is a great reference recording for testing any system.
    Yep - agree with that, particularly the tracks Brothers in Arms, Money for Nothing and So Far Away. SUCH epic staging and detail on that recording.

  11. #11
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    I picked it up because Brian Wilson was on the cover. Sorry, but in the annals of rock history, he will be revered quite a bit more than MK could ever hope to be. Not to say MK wasn't 'good', but he will never match the genius of Brian Wilson, nor the influence.
    I don't actually think that's true.
    Mark Knopfler is almost always mentioned in lists of best guitarists, and is known for having quite an unusual style of finger picking the electric strings.
    I studied music for 5 years and I'd say in that time, Mark Knopfler's name came up more than Brian Wilson or the Beach Boys.
    You might get that perspective from the States, where BW would be mentioned more but in the rest of the world I don't think it would be that one sided, and I don't even like in the UK.
    Can you imagine the following for someone like Mark Knopfler in the country he's actually from?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •