Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

I was just relistening to an old favorite today and...

Electric Lady Land was way ahead of it's time. A lot of Jimi's music was raw and rough at the time and didn't always appeal to me, but this album absolutely captured me back then and just today it still does...40 years later!

Any other's favorites that seemed ahead of their time, and have stood the test of time?

thereyet

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by thereyet

Any other's favorites that seemed ahead of their time, and have stood the test of time?

thereyet
    LOL, most of my collection. Be careful, nobody here likes to talk about anything more than a few years old here. The few of us that have stood the test of time will have to enjoy quietly.

Check out Belly Button Window on that New Days Of The Rising Sun disk.

42 Regular
    I have a metric assload of "classic rock" and I try to keep it in rotation with the more recent and less mainstream stuff in my collection. Oddly, I've never owned Electric Ladyland...go figure.

I always feel that same way, though, whenever I listen to the first Zeppelin album. It wasn't totally original (that's for sure), nor is it their best work. But it was clear that Jimmy Page was creating a sound on that disc that would change everything from that point forward.

It's been 40 years since "Dazed and Confused" and "How Many More Times" first saw the light of day. But they still sound remarkable to me.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Yeah, I brought up the seminal Script of the Bridge...

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    LOL, most of my collection. Be careful, nobody here likes to talk about anything more than a few years old here. The few of us that have stood the test of time will have to enjoy quietly.

Check out Belly Button Window on that New Days Of The Rising Sun disk.
    ...and that knucklehead bobsticks busted my chops about it. Yeah, it's 25 years old (is that older than bobsticks?) but it's fantastic. Screw you bobsticks!

Swish - listens mostly to fresh indie music
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular

One other record that seemed ahead of it's time...

Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus by Spirit. They pretty much only made this one album but I loved it, every cut. I know, I am reminiscing on some druggier days, but this one stirs the memories.

thereyet

Twelve Dreams was great in its day, but...

Quote Originally Posted by thereyet
    Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus by Spirit. They pretty much only made this one album but I loved it, every cut. I know, I am reminiscing on some druggier days, but this one stirs the memories.

thereyet
    ...I really don't think it holds up well today, which was the premise of the thread. I still like to hear it on occasion, but it sounds dated to me.

Just sayin'.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

I would submit that most XTC sounded ahead of its time.

Skylarking is still my favorite and I think it sounds fresh today.

Swish

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Skylarking is still my favorite and I think it sounds fresh today.

Swish
    See, I never really got why Skylarking gets as much or more love than Oranges & Lemons, Black Sea or English Settlement. But once again...that's why they sell chicken in parts, I guess.

Except "Dear God". That song is bloody brilliant.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Hey, I like the others nearly as much, but Skylarking...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    See, I never really got why Skylarking gets as much or more love than Oranges & Lemons, Black Sea or English Settlement. But once again...that's why they sell chicken in parts, I guess.

Except "Dear God". That song is bloody brilliant.
    ...is still my favorite. What can I say? From the opening "Drowning here is summer's cauldron..." to the very ending "Reign over good, banish the bad' from Sacrificial Bonfire, this record was just amazing.

As for 'Dear God', that wasn't even on the original Skylarking release my friend. It was only included on reissues somewhere down the road after 1986. I guess that's just one more reason for you to dis this record. Ha!

Swish - getting the facts straight

Forum Regular
    It's a crying shame that Jimi Hendrix left the world when he did. I reckon there was a jazz influence in his music which could have led to some great things. What he did was pretty amazing though.

I don't really think this was ahead of its time, but Who's Next was a great album. Baba O'Riley is just perfection!
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    ...and that knucklehead bobsticks busted my chops about it. Yeah, it's 25 years old (is that older than bobsticks?) but it's fantastic. Screw you bobsticks!

Such hostility, Swisheroo...most unbecoming.

Hehe. I was wondering what kept you.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Such hostility, Swisheroo...most unbecoming.
    You usually jump on this stuff within hours, but in this case it was many days later so it's just sort of...anticlimactic or something. You need to stay on your toes stickman.

Swish - the old grouch

Yeah, that's fair...

...I was having an inner-debate on the acceptability of my original response...frankly, I still think it's the only appropriate one.

It woulda gone something like this:

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I'm not sure that this qualifies, but the guys at work that play guitar for fun and some have small bands that play local clubs, are into the blues. Well I turned them on to Savoy Brown and now they can't get enough of them. They're doing covers of SB songs when they play and the crowds love it. They'll come up to them between sets and ask what song that was and who did it. So we're sort of turning a new group of people onto SB, 35 years later.

That's a classic You Tube clip someone sent me months..

...I was having an inner-debate on the acceptability of my original response...frankly, I still think it's the only appropriate one.

It woulda gone something like this:

...ago. You should have used it instead of the first reply. Made much more sense.

Swish - killin' time in a crystal city

Oh man, another blast from the past. We used to ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    I'm not sure that this qualifies, but the guys at work that play guitar for fun and some have small bands that play local clubs, are into the blues. Well I turned them on to Savoy Brown and now they can't get enough of them. They're doing covers of SB songs when they play and the crowds love it. They'll come up to them between sets and ask what song that was and who did it. So we're sort of turning a new group of people onto SB, 35 years later.
    ...listen to Street Corner Talking all the time back in the day. I can still hear the opening line 'I quit my job, ain't got no money' from Tell Mama. Great stuff Jack. Thanks for the memories.

GSwish - resident geezer

Jah, well after striking a house at a charity golf outing and telling my boss' boss to that he could take his attitude and "meet me 'down there'" with it it's been a rough coupla weeks in Nap City. Just trying to make sure that my responses are measured and appropriate...

...clearly, I need to make sure this doesn't crossover into the AR matrix.

It does make me question your priorities when I'm posting all these sensational, suggestive vids and the only thing that prompts you to respond is a streaking hippie with a public flatulence issue.

So you're not quite ready for the PGA tour, eh bobster?

Jah, well after striking a house at a charity golf outing and telling my boss' boss to that he could take his attitude and "meet me 'down there'" with it it's been a rough coupla weeks in Nap City. Just trying to make sure that my responses are measured and appropriate...

...clearly, I need to make sure this doesn't crossover into the AR matrix.

It does make me question your priorities when I'm posting all these sensational, suggestive vids and the only thing that prompts you to respond is a streaking hippie with a public flatulence issue.
    I do have a few questions though. Did you break any windows? Was it a Titleist Pro-V 1 or the newer Prov V1x? What club were you using? A titanium hybrid that allows you to hit the ball even further out of bounds? Inquiring minds want to know!

As for my priorities, I have very few; drink plenty of beer, listen only to good music, hit the golf ball on target, to choose my words carefully around supervisors, and to have plenty of fun.

Swish

As for my priorities, I have very few; drink plenty of beer, listen only to good music, hit the golf ball on target, to choose my words carefully around supervisors, and to have plenty of fun.

Swish
    Well, if ya gotta live safe so be it.

Don't know where ya got the hybrid thang, although I did get a hybrid 3 and 4. The residential issue, and no broken windows were involved, involved me grabbing a 7 iron when I shoulda grabbed a pitching wedge. This was a couple of holes after the dreaded "Knob Creek" hole.

BWAHAHAHA. Knob Creek hole. Now that's funny.

Well, if ya gotta live safe so be it.

Don't know where ya got the hybrid thang, although I did get a hybrid 3 and 4. The residential issue, and no broken windows were involved, involved me grabbing a 7 iron when I shoulda grabbed a pitching wedge. This was a couple of holes after the dreaded "Knob Creek" hole.
    Yeah, a 7 iron will travel about 40 yards or so further than a PW, so it's no wonder you clobbered that house. I hope it was all brick.

I just got a Taylor Tour Burn #3 hybrid, and it's a keeper. A friend of mine has one and made a double eagle with it at a tournament in SD. Yes, a double eagle. It's tough enough just reaching a par 5 in two, much less making it in two. Holy crap.

Swish

Evidently your buddy has some technique, which is an attribute I have yet to acquire. I went to the range with a buddy who has got the "skillz", as it were, and received some instruction on foot placement and grip...good stuff too, continued to launch 'em straight but got a little more loft and distance.

I should have listened to his admonitions regarding trying to kill the ball and to "let the club do the work". Who knew that a driver will shatter?

ahem...if there's anything more boring than golf, its a conversation about it

now where were we...

I have a buncha "classic" rock that I'd only recently aquired, so I can't really use the "stood the test of time" thing, other than to say that there are a few albums I still whip out at least once, maybe twice a year for listening, every year. Of course I'm talking Pink Floyd DSoTM, Beatles Abbey Road, Led Zep HoTH, andSupertramp Crime Of the Century. I've had these albums in some form or another for over 20 years now.

Some 20 years later, I still like to listen to John Mellencamp's Lonesome Jubilee, easily his best effort IMO. He attempted a sort of old fashioned feel on that album, and I think its his use of ecclectic intstrumentation that appeals to me. Keith Richards first solo effort, Talk Is Cheap, remains the best thing any Rolling Stone has done since Some Girls.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I pulled out Colin James' first album a couple of weeks ago and that thing still rocks. Originally released 20 years ago it's held up very well over time. His guitar riffs are as ear-pleasing today as they were in 1988.

The only thing more boring than golf...

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox

now where were we...

I have a buncha "classic" rock that I'd only recently aquired, so I can't really use the "stood the test of time" thing, other than to say that there are a few albums I still whip out at least once, maybe twice a year for listening, every year. Of course I'm talking Pink Floyd DSoTM, Beatles Abbey Road, Led Zep HoTH, andSupertramp Crime Of the Century. I've had these albums in some form or another for over 20 years now.

Some 20 years later, I still like to listen to John Mellencamp's Lonesome Jubilee, easily his best effort IMO. He attempted a sort of old fashioned feel on that album, and I think its his use of ecclectic intstrumentation that appeals to me. Keith Richards first solo effort, Talk Is Cheap, remains the best thing any Rolling Stone has done since Some Girls.
    ...is 'classic rock'.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Swish - I call them as I see them

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    What a dubious honor to be the first to be chastized for going off-topic in RR ...

...but in fairness to the OP and a righteous topic we'll pull it back around. Titles like Brothers In Arms, Floodland, and Exile On Main St. come to mind. Not be contrarian but I'll take The Final Cut over D.S.O.T.M. anyday, and often do. It's been twenty years since the release of Sade's Stronger Than Pride which still gets alot of play around here...

...I'm down with Oranges & Lemons too. Hey, I noticed in the store what looked like a Japanese edition of the cd. Anyone know if this a remaster?

For me the ultimate "has legs" has to be---and excuse me for crossing genres---Miles' Kind Of Blue. I've been on a pilgrimage of late, studiously collecting the rarities...y'know "Live at Carnegie", "Live at the Newport", "Live with Quetzacoatl"...and they form a nice snasht of a night in a time in a mood on a great trip. That said, KOB is the lifeblood of the set, seminal, as it were.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information