Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I wouldn't argue with Miles Davis Kinda Blue although I didn't really own that one myself until about 8 years ago.

And I shoulda included XTC myself, but mine would be Skylarking. Their songcraft and Todd Rundgren's production was masterful. Despite their reported differences, Todd's influence is all over Oranges & Lemons, and even Andy Partridge himself later admitted that he felt Skylarking was their most cohesive effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    See, I never really got why Skylarking gets as much or more love than Oranges & Lemons, Black Sea or English Settlement. But once again...that's why they sell chicken in parts, I guess.

Except "Dear God". That song is bloody brilliant.
    I don't get it either. Drums and Wires and Black Sea are head and shoulders above Skylarking from my point of view. Plus, my first copy of Skylarking (on cassette no less) doesn't even have "Dear God" on it (I have since supplemented it with CD versions of the album that do include the song).

Oh, and Swishy, I do love Script of the Bridge, but probably not enough to shell out the cash for the 25th anniversary edition.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Damn it! I've been inspired to spin some XTC only to realize that I haven't put any on my iPod! I'll have to correct that little oversight.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Damn it! I've been inspired to spin some XTC only to realize that I haven't put any on my iPod! I'll have to correct that little oversight.
    I've got Oranges & Lemons going right now...mmmm

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I've got Oranges & Lemons going right now...mmmm
    Oh sure, just rub it in why don't you?

bastard.

To wit: The Ballad Of Peter Pumpkinhead

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Oh sure, just rub it in why don't you?

bastard.

Y'know, I've heard that accusation before. Mebbe it's time for some self-evaluation and analysis...

...I think I'll do that while listening to Skylarking

Edit: Hey, nice avi...
    Last edited by bobsticks; 07-30-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Not sure about that Japanese edition.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    ...I'm down with Oranges & Lemons too. Hey, I noticed in the store what looked like a Japanese edition of the cd. Anyone know if this a remaster?
    The original was from '89 on Virgin, and the remaster was done in 2002, so my guess that's what you saw. Otherwise, it's a pirated version.

Swish - has no clue. So what else in new?
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular

Speaking of Miles Davis...

I have always had a soft spot for "A Tribute to Jack Johnson", an album not many people ever mention. And since my brain is in this mode...I also am very attached to Mahavishnu Orchestra Live. I pretty much swung with the fusion back in the day.

thereyet

42 Regular
    I recall there was a series of XTC Japanese remasters several years ago. I snagged the Black Sea one back then, as I recall. I wasn't crazy about the packaging, but the sound was quite good. And the music is, well, probably their best. (I loves me some Black Sea.)
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    I'm not sure that this qualifies, but the guys at work that play guitar for fun and some have small bands that play local clubs, are into the blues. Well I turned them on to Savoy Brown and now they can't get enough of them. They're doing covers of SB songs when they play and the crowds love it. They'll come up to them between sets and ask what song that was and who did it. So we're sort of turning a new group of people onto SB, 35 years later.
    I still getta kick listening to "Betty's Being Bad", now and then....

Give Marshall Chapman an ear!
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    I recall there was a series of XTC Japanese remasters several years ago. I snagged the Black Sea one back then, as I recall. I wasn't crazy about the packaging, but the sound was quite good. And the music is, well, probably their best. (I loves me some Black Sea.)
    Well, I guess we know what I'm gonna buy later this afternoon...

This is an ensemble I first heard way back when the Earth was green and the sky was blue...

Good music, good words, good vibe. What more d'ya want?
    Last edited by Auricauricle; 11-06-2008 at 03:54 PM.
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information