How 'bout them Cowboys!

What a fantastic end to my holiday weekend. It was nearly a miracle that this game could mean anything, but thanks to that incredible win by the Raiders, a team I detest and who had nothing to play for, this Eagles/Cowboys game was for the last spot in the playoffs. I couldn't have dreamed up a better scenario, especially with the way Philly played last week.

What they did was open a can of whoop ass on Dallas, and I can't think of anything that could make me happier. 44-6! Are you kidding me? I said many months ago that the Boys would lose the last game in Philly, and it was a butt-kicking the likes of which I've never seen, at least in a game of this magnitude. I pictured myself screaming at the TV most of the night, sitting on the edge of the sofa, but it turned into a laugher.

As I said before, Wade Phillips has proven nothing and Tony Romo hasn't made it past the first round of the playoffs. Like our president-elect, Romo was anointed as the savior but has done nothing to prove it (not saying Obama won't do anything, but he really hasn't done anything). Jerry Jones thought he was really slick picking up garbage like Pacman Jones and Owens, but they're nothing but trouble.

Will Philly go anywhere in the playoffs? Probably not, but I can savor the fact that they made the playoffs and ended the season for the much-hated Cowboys. It was a pleasure watching T.O. on the sidelines screaming at everyone. Then he acts like the punk that he is and puts his cap on crooked. Grow up already.

Swish - having a banner day
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    What a fantastic end to my holiday weekend. It was nearly a miracle that this game could mean anything, but thanks to that incredible win by the Raiders, a team I detest and who had nothing to play for, this Eagles/Cowboys game was for the last spot in the playoffs. I couldn't have dreamed up a better scenario, especially with the way Philly played last week.

What they did was open a can of whoop ass on Dallas, and I can't think of anything that could make me happier. 44-6! Are you kidding me? I said many months ago that the Boys would lose the last game in Philly, and it was a butt-kicking the likes of which I've never seen, at least in a game of this magnitude. I pictured myself screaming at the TV most of the night, sitting on the edge of the sofa, but it turned into a laugher.

As I said before, Wade Phillips has proven nothing and Tony Romo hasn't made it past the first round of the playoffs. Like our president-elect, Romo was anointed as the savior but has done nothing to prove it (not saying Obama won't do anything, but he really hasn't done anything). Jerry Jones thought he was really slick picking up garbage like Pacman Jones and Owens, but they're nothing but trouble.

Will Philly go anywhere in the playoffs? Probably not, but I can savor the fact that they made the playoffs and ended the season for the much-hated Cowboys. It was a pleasure watching T.O. on the sidelines screaming at everyone. Then he acts like the punk that he is and puts his cap on crooked. Grow up already.

Swish - having a banner day
    Swish, you said it. That's like saving the best present for last. Tampa and Chicago going down and it was all in our hands. I can't wait to get to work tomorrow and see all those stinkin Cowboy fans. Don't count us out yet though Swish, we could go into Minnesota and win that one.
    But take it easy on Obama. He hasn't even taken office yet and you're doggin the guy. We were stuck with Bushwacker for 8 years, talk about doin nothing.

I have to get my digs in where I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    But take it easy on Obama. He hasn't even taken office yet and you're doggin the guy. We were stuck with Bushwacker for 8 years, talk about doin nothing.
    But, in retrospect, I should have deleted that part. I just can't imagine a guy who is a first term Senator running for the highest office in the land, and winning, not that McCain was strong enough to win. That's like turning over IBM to a management trainee. He was a state legislator for a number of years, but that's not being a leader of anything, and Chicago is among the most corrupt cities in the country. I'm not saying he is, but that the system he grew up in is among the worst as current events are reminding us.

But back to the Eagles. How sweet it is! I could have been at that game except a certain person in my company has a friend who always gets the tickets because she is a Dallas fan. What a joke that is, like anyone wants to see a Dallas fan in Philly. I hope she enjoys her fond memories of this as
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

I thought that Dallas was supposed to win the Superbowl while my poor Giants wouldn't even make the playoffs.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I love seeing Dallas lose. How far Philly goes in the playoffs depends on which Vikes and Eagles teams show up next week. Both are capable stinking it up. Myself, I think the Panthers are going all the way to (but not winning) the Superbowl. I can't believe that Tampon Bay lost 4 games in a row to miss out on the playoffs, and the Bears couldn't beat Houston. The NFC North is such a joke this year.

Let's hear it for the Lions! 0'fer 16...and then let's watch as they piss away yet another first round pick. The Ford family have never been good owners and its been said in decades past that the Lions are just a tax dodge.

Big ups to the Niners for playing with some gumption...I think they'll be much improved next year.

And how bout Chad Pennington going back to The Meadowlands and snatching the playoffs away from the NY Brets, after he was shown the door this off-season and booed by the fans all last season.

Yes, the Dallas beat down was sweet. Earlier this year I was one of those thinking they looked playoff, and maybe even superbowel bound. On paper that team looked pretty much unstoppable. What a bunch of whiner show-ponies. Trailer queens. Buddy of mine said they reminded him of his first wife: whiney, over-rated and high maintenance. I still hate 'em and always will, so it was sweet.

I still dislike Philly who lucked into the playoffs when they were the 9th or 10th seed going into the last game. How does a team with a tie make the playoffs? It shows the lack of depth in the NFC that this jekyl/hyde team can make the big dance and the Pats don't at 11-5. All that said, Philly should be able to make Tavares Jackson sing "Er Es Tu" with a tear in his eye. Minnesota can be a powerhouse, playoff quality team if they can pick up a QB like Cassel, or even Derek Anderson in the offseason, but not until then.

SD/Broncos was an even bigger beat down than the DAL/PHI game. Pilly won on TOs and huge plays, and SD won by just shoving Denver up and down the field. I give them a 1 in 4 chance against the Colts tho. I like the Colts to go all the way.

The Giants look beatable to me. They had some questionable games this year and seemed tired over the past few weeks. Are they past their sell-by now? Steelers are a big ? if BR isn't 100%. Arizona advancing? Good chance of that, but not to the champ game. Can the rookie teams like Balmer and ATL stand up to the pressure of the playoffs?

Yeah, I am thrilled by Singletary's coronation to head coach in the SF locker room after the 2nd clutch win in a row. I got to go the the SF game where they stomped the Jets. Most exciting 9er game I've been to in 10+ years. It feels good to go into next season with some credibility. The 49ers should win the NFC West next year pretty easily, given the condition of the other doormat teams in the div.

Favre is finally finished, and I'm amused to see Mangenius get his walking papers too.

Detroit going 0'fer is tragic. It wasn't even like they were in some killer division or anything. Massive suckitude.

And take yer Obama-hating BS elsewhere.

During the Super Bowl era, the teams currently making up the NFC East have accounted for something like 11 championships. The Eagles won none of those.

It's about time you came out to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Yes, the Dallas beat down was sweet. Earlier this year I was one of those thinking they looked playoff, and maybe even superbowel bound. On paper that team looked pretty much unstoppable. What a bunch of whiner show-ponies. Trailer queens. Buddy of mine said they reminded him of his first wife: whiney, over-rated and high maintenance. I still hate 'em and always will, so it was sweet.

I still dislike Philly who lucked into the playoffs when they were the 9th or 10th seed going into the last game. How does a team with a tie make the playoffs? It shows the lack of depth in the NFC that this jekyl/hyde team can make the big dance and the Pats don't at 11-5. All that said, Philly should be able to make Tavares Jackson sing "Er Es Tu" with a tear in his eye. Minnesota can be a powerhouse, playoff quality team if they can pick up a QB like Cassel, or even Derek Anderson in the offseason, but not until then.

SD/Broncos was an even bigger beat down than the DAL/PHI game. Pilly won on TOs and huge plays, and SD won by just shoving Denver up and down the field. I give them a 1 in 4 chance against the Colts tho. I like the Colts to go all the way.

The Giants look beatable to me. They had some questionable games this year and seemed tired over the past few weeks. Are they past their sell-by now? Steelers are a big ? if BR isn't 100%. Arizona advancing? Good chance of that, but not to the champ game. Can the rookie teams like Balmer and ATL stand up to the pressure of the playoffs?

And take yer Obama-hating BS elsewhere.
    I believe you said 'Dallas is the class of the league' way back when. Sorry, but Jerrry Jones equates money with class, and he's so wrong. He's doing his best Al Davis imitation and picking up every miscreant he can, but all it leads to is more misery. Pacman Jones was a laughingstock in that game, and T.O. and Tank Johnson, two other idiots that Jerry picked up, were screaming at teammates, like that was going to motivate anyone.

Yes, the Eagles were lucky to make the playoffs, but luck is part of the game. Who could explain Tyree making a catch against his helmet to keep that drive alive last year? Luck is what I call it. A fumble here, a bad bounce there. I like the fact that nobody is giving the Eagles a chance, despite their humbling victory over the Giants, the thrashing of Arizona, and their hammering of the Cowboys. The last time I heard a team 'had no chance' of winning it all was when the St. Louis Cardinals 'limped into the playoffs' a couple years ago and won the World Series. I sure don't expect them to make it all the way, but stranger things have happened.

As for my 'Obama-hating BS', I agree I should have left that out of this thread and I do apologize. However, I don't hate him, and why should I? Hate is a term that's used primarily by liberals when referring to any Republican in power. Obama is a likeable guy and I hope he does well for the sake of the USA, but I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid that the media is feeding everyone. Government fixes nothing and I fear the proposed meddling into private enterprise will only make matters worse. I hope I'm wrong. Government can't fix the economy because they don't understand the underlying issues that have led us to where we are, and no among of spending and bailouts will help. FDR proved that many years ago.

What's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    During the Super Bowl era, the teams currently making up the NFC East have accounted for something like 11 championships. The Eagles won none of those.
    If you want to talk about ancient history, go for it, but I'm talking about the last game. Let's go back over the last 10 years if you wish The Cowboys haven't won a single playoff game, and this year, despite all the predictions by all the experts that they could go all the way, they didn't even make the playoffs. During that same period, the Eagles have appeared in 4 NFC division championship games and a Super Bowl. They should have won that game too, but hey, if you're saying the only successful team wins the Super Bowl each year, then I can't possibly debate you because you have that mentality. I never look at 2nd place, or even 3rd, as 'losers'. There are 32 teams in the league, so it's a tough nut to crack. Any team that wins its division or goes deep in the playoffs has had a successful year. I hate the fact that the Eagles haven't won one, but at least they're doing something in the playoffs. It's the same old story; 'What have you done for me lately'.

It's a matter of perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    If you want to talk about ancient history, go for it, but I'm talking about the last game. Let's go back over the last 10 years if you wish The Cowboys haven't won a single playoff game, and this year, despite all the predictions by all the experts that they could go all the way, they didn't even make the playoffs. During that same period, the Eagles have appeared in 4 NFC division championship games and a Super Bowl. They should have won that game too, but hey, if you're saying the only successful team wins the Super Bowl each year, then I can't possibly debate you because you have that mentality. I never look at 2nd place, or even 3rd, as 'losers'. There are 32 teams in the league, so it's a tough nut to crack. Any team that wins its division or goes deep in the playoffs has had a successful year. I hate the fact that the Eagles haven't won one, but at least they're doing something in the playoffs. It's the same old story; 'What have you done for me lately'.
    I do agree there are more successful teams each year than just the Super Bowl winner. However, winning the big one is huge. Ask the Buffalo Bills, losers of four Super Bowls. Look at the humbling of the Dallas Mavericks by the Miami Heat…considered a colossal failure on the part of the Mavericks. The close calls can be worse than getting knocked out early in the playoffs. Bill Buckner’s error, Brett Hull’s skate in the crease…the big game is what sports is all about and ancient or not it lives on with sports fans.

PS...I see now the subject line said, "What's your point". My point is, the Eagles haven't accomplished much as far as I can see. I'll bet many Eagles fans are a little chapped by the near misses.

That was my point. My thread was about this year...

I do agree there are more successful teams each year than just the Super Bowl winner. However, winning the big one is huge. Ask the Buffalo Bills, losers of four Super Bowls. Look at the humbling of the Dallas Mavericks by the Miami Heat…considered a colossal failure on the part of the Mavericks. The close calls can be worse than getting knocked out early in the playoffs. Bill Buckner’s error, Brett Hull’s skate in the crease…the big game is what sports is all about and ancient or not it lives on with sports fans..
    ...and the recent game. I respected the Cowboys when Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson coached them, but Jerry Jones has created a circus atmosphere, starting with his appearance on the sidelines, and including the jackarses he signed to play for his team. No, I always hated Dallas and will always hate Dallas because they're our # 1 enemy. JJ just makes it easy and so many people love to see them fail yet again. Sure I'm envious of their Super Bowl titles, as I am the Steelers, Giants and Patriots, but I'm not envious of their recent history since they've done next to nothing and I wouldn't trade places with them for anything. After all, they'll be at home watching the playoffs, while the Eagles will be playing in the first round, and hopefully a little bit further.

Happy New Year to you,
    Swish

JJ acts more like a TV producer than an NFL team owner.

Maybe he needs to raise Bobby Ewing back from the dead.

I love watching this happen to dem Cowboys. I grew up in Tennessee, way way before there were any Titans. I rooted for just about anybody but the Cowboys, as I always pulled for the underdogs. I never liked the Steelers either, but loved watching the Cowboys get manhandled in those Superbowls. Most of the people I knew in TN liked the Cowboys, including many of my schoolmates. I was an ardent Lions fans (I was born in MI and still have family there) so I took much crap as a kid. I'll never tire of rooting against the Cowboys. As I used to say back when I was in junior high, "If the Soviet Union brought a football team over here to play the Cowboys, I'd paint myself RED".

The much-hated Cowboys

The Cowboys are the league's most polarizing team. They get good TV ratings, since as many tune in to root against them as for them. They've had archrivals all around, whether it's the Redskins, Giants, Eagles or even the Steelers, Packers or 49ers...being a rival/hater of the Cowboys has been a big club.

When I was a young kid growing up in Cowboy country, I didn't even realize it all. I thought the Redskins were it. I actually liked the Eagles...cool uniforms. Maybe that Redskins rivalry is old and worn out. When playing the Cowboys, the Eagles are the ones who are always ready. They seem to inflict more damage on the Cowboys than anybody.

As for being manhandled in those Super Bowls against the Steelers...what constitutes being manhandled? The scores look pretty close. The Cowboys were the underdogs in both cases, so I can see you make exceptions in your rooting for the underdogs when it's the hated Cowboys.

Also on the wandering topic of liking the hated Eagles...and the Giants, too...these are two of my favorites from my small but growing NFL collection...

100_1315
    Last edited by 02audionoob; 12-31-2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Add subject

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

F*** 'em, it's a roast...

DALLAS (AP)--On The Scene:Cowboy teammates Terrell Owens and Tank Johnson were sees dining at Pappadeuax Seafood Kitchen with recently-fired Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan. Owens was overheard saying, "Romo ain't got no love for T.O. or the the Tank...Pacman neither.[He's] Got a woody for that crackah Witten, though."

Later in the evening, Pappadeaux employee Bruce Read bussed the table and expressed dismay when, in lieu of leaving a csah tip, the three football luminaries left an autographed picture of Chike Okeafor as a gratuity.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

As for being manhandled in those Super Bowls against the Steelers...what constitutes being manhandled? The scores look pretty close. The Cowboys were the underdogs in both cases, so I can see you make exceptions in your rooting for the underdogs when it's the hated Cowboys.
    I saw those games and maybe I misremember things a tad, but I do recall the Steelers being in control of both games. Maybe the games were closer than that, but the sight of dejected Cowboys is what i remember most. And no, the underdog thing didn't apply to Dallas.

Thread Information