Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk

Stone's Year End Comp tHingy -- only two distracted listens so far -- hey, which one is PopTodd -- is that Destroyer?
    No. Hop On Pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty
    Kylie Minogue, Body Language and Fever -- OMG, I forgot how good this years Kylie is, it's definitely going on my year-end list, I don't care how crowded that list is. Every track is a single. Out-Madonnas Madonna. L, after listening to Fever, it out-Kylies Kylie.
    I've stayed away from the latest one based on a couple reviews (can't remember where), but I guess I should check it out.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Adding one worthy of note, now that I've had 3 spins worth- Magnolia Electric Company ~Trials & Errors~ Jason Molina and the (former) Songs: Ohia boys in a live concert in Brussels from 2003. I'm an easy mark for anything Molina does, but this one is a KO. You can buy it on the 18th. I have one now.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

I've been listening to Ray LaMontagne's "Trouble" and Madeline Peyroux's "Careless Love" most the past few days. A friend recommended LaMontagne a couple of weeks ago & I had the CD laying around but honestly hadn't thought to pop it in; I didn't see or hear or read much that suggested it was anything special. Good stuff. Madeline Peyroux I just got, though, & that had come rather highly recommended. More specifically, she's been touted a few times by the jazzbos on the Asylum's "Music" board as sounding VERY much like Billie Holiday, and that was meant in a good way. So I was very curious, and it does not disappoint. And it's not that she apes Billie; her voice just, very naturally, has a lot of the same qualities. The album's not pure jazz, it's poppy, but there are jazzy, poppy arrangements of some singer-songwriter stuff, a Leonard Cohen tune, a Dylan tune, and it's not a perfect album, but a solid 7.5-8 on a scale of 10, I'd say (though it's growing on me more & more every time I hear it). Billie Holiday is my favorite singer so I was prepared to dismiss it on the basis of being just another copycat, but that's not the case at all...and it was a pleasant surprise even though I did trust the posters who did recommend the rec. It's probably been mentioned here too but I can't remember...so in case it hasn't, I HIGHLY recommend this one if you like jazz vocals & particularly if you're a Billie Holiday fan.

Also spun Robyn Hitchcock's "Spooked," which I definitely need to hear again, and John Cale's "Hobosapien," which sounded kind of, well, not typical for Cale. I need to hear that one again also, but first impression was that it was pretty straightforward (for him) with an occasional experimental flourish. I've got to hear it again, I was busy while listening & it didn't really hit me all that much one way or the other. The Hitchcock CD is on a label called Yep Roc that I like more & more every time I see what they're putting out...didn't they put out the solo rec from the guy who used to play with Nick Lowe? Geraint Watkins, I think? I think they also put out the last Southern Culture On The Skids rec. i see something here from them called the ShackShakers, I'll have to give that a whirl. Be on the lookout for stuff from this label, it appears they sign up some pretty cool folks. So far the results as far as the wax they excrete haven't been what I'd consider completely up to snuff, but they're certainly on the right track.

There's a Stray Cats reunion DVD out that is absolutely amazing. Great footage & sound. Setzer's a wizard. Get it.

Still listening to American Idiot, Abbatoir Blues/Lyre Of Orpheus, and SMiLE pretty heavily...and listened to Streetcore & NRBQ Live At Yankee Stadium a couple of times also. I hear NRBQ's 'Just Ain't Fair' and I just have to listen to it again. And again. And again...just got the Steve Earle album but haven't listened to it yet. I'll have to spin 'Just Ain't Fair at least one more time to get it out of my head before I tackle that one...

I don't like others.

[QUOTE=Mr MidFi]I've been going wild with my new iPod (it was a Xmas gift). Yes, I know...lossy, compressed music sounds like crap, blah blah blah. I don't care. The portability/convenience factor has been a revelation. I've been playing literally thousands of songs on my office stereo and car stereo, using an FM transmitter attachment. It's slick, easy to use, and puts out a decent signal for this type of toy.

I got one for xmas too! Oh man, I have NOTHING but great things to say about it. I'm not really sure how I lived without this. I kept hearing people say that and thought, 'what's the big deal?' Now I know. I was just telling someone, "You know when a song you love comes on the radio and you say, 'Oh! I love this song!'... Well having an Ipod set on 'shuffle' is like having a radio station that only plays every one of your favorite songs and with no commercials. I have 1000 songs in mine so far. Setting it on 'shuffle' is the most fun for me, and making playlists. I have one called "drive", one called "sleep", etc.

My songs today (I'm making a playlist for a LONG road trip starting tomorrow... I'm driving from Kansas to L.A. and then up to Mammoth). Some good road music for me:

King Missle - Sensitive Artist (from a comp that Jar made that JC copied for me)
    I don't know where I was when this song came out or how I missed it!! It's a keeper!!
    Adem - Everything You Need (from Stone's 12/4 comp)
    (this is making me think I want to buy this cd)
    Tom Waits - Real Gone & Nighthawks at the Diner
    Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty and Paul's Boutique
    The Dandy Warhols - Come Down
    now that's some droning driving music!
    Swervedriver - Mezcal Head

Oh man, I sound like an Ipod commercial don't I? Sorry about that!! I'll shut up about the Ipod.

I'll check in from L.A. next week

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Still listening to American Idiot, .
    I FINALLY just got that album after listening to several of you rave about it. A great one for sure. I've been a LONG time Green Day fan, pre-Dookie (when they were signed to Lookout). Not sure if this one is my favorite yet but it's up there!
    This band has come a long way. I remember well the people (certain music industry people I worked with) who said when Dookie first came out that they'll be a one hit wonder. haha

I heard a 12-yr old kid listing his favorite bands the other day, "Led Zeppelin, The Who, Yes, Steve Miller, Queen, Green Day...."

Interesting.

42 Regular
    KEXPMF:
    The only thing that sucked about the iPod was having to install a USB 2.0 port. But once that was out of the way, it's been the funnest toy I've played with in years (yes, I know, funnest is not a proper word).

I now have over 1400 songs loaded. I decided a few days ago at work to start playing them all alphabetically, by song title. I'm only up to the letter "D" now (NP: "Dance on a Volcano").

I highly, highly recommend the iTrip accessory by Griffin. It's the best $30 I've spent this year. Look it up!
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information