Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: hello

I would say that they were more in line with other 'indy' sounding bands of the day. It was the same organic sound, only with more fuzzy production, like The National, only without the faux Nick Cave vocals.

Grandaddy's Sumday album or early Guster are good comparisons, only folkier.

Midlake doesn't make samey albums.

What do you think of The Black Keys?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Occupanther
    What do you think of The Black Keys?
    Got a couple of their earlier albums and keep toying with the idea of picking up the latest which has more of a polished sound judging by reviews, no doubt the input of Danger Mouse. It's been out a while now so might be the right time to pick it up cheap. The appeal to me is that raw rough bluesy feel with great vocals and they make a fantastic sound for a duo, they remind me a bit of North Mississippi Allstars who I also like.

Good call on Guster, another favourite, just straightforward well produced good music with great production.

Cheers
    Mike

Got me the new Earlimart advance called Hymn And Her. Kind of a Grandaddy meets Elliott Smith type sound. Just starting my first spin now
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Do you like green eggs and ham?
    Do you like green eggs and spam?

Would you eat ham with hash?
    Would you shove spam upya...oh nevermind...
    Whoops, looks like I called that putt a bit early. Sorry VanO but the recent spate of one word spam posts had me in attack mode, you just must be shy. Welcome to the forum.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    I like gnus
    They're the g-nicest work of g-nature in the zoo.

I like Grandaddy and the Fambly Cat.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Whoops, looks like I called that putt a bit early. Sorry VanO but the recent spate of one word spam posts had me in attack mode, you just must be shy. Welcome to the forum.
    I was scratching my head over that post bob, I must admit.

I need to go back and revisit Grandaddy, they've gotten by me (so far).

Welcome to the forum Van.
    I didn't change my mind. It changed all by itself.

Yes, there is definitely a mid-seventies AOR "vibe" to their music. i liken them to early Fleetwood Mac, specifically the Bob Welch era, which i prefer, before Lindsey Buckingham spoiled things.
    Lindsay Buckingham spoiled things?!?!?

You mean...saved things. If not a Lindsay Buckingham, then it woulda been someone that was like him, because it was the direction Mick wanted to go after Welch's departure. FM wasn't going to sound like Bare Trees ever again anyway, and Buckingham was definitely no slouch. FM might not have made it out of the '70s if not for Mr. Buckingham. FWIW, I do like Welch era FM.

Forum Regular
    I probably should't post this, but Van Occupanther also reminds me of the Dan Folgelberg/Tim Weisberg release Twins Sons from Different Mothers", and I mean that as a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    You mean...saved things. If not a Lindsay Buckingham, then it woulda been someone that was like him, because it was the direction Mick wanted to go after Welch's departure. FM wasn't going to sound like Bare Trees ever again anyway, and Buckingham was definitely no slouch. FM might not have made it out of the '70s if not for Mr. Buckingham. FWIW, I do like Welch era FM.

He became a prima donna, very difficult to work with and he took the group over. If you have ever seen one of the documentaries, then you have seen how difficult he was. Plus I do not care for his style very much. He needed them as much or more than he thought they needed him. Just look at his solo stuff. Very sketchy. His early stuff sounded like coke-addled ADD and his new stuff is OK, but very simple. Simple is good sometimes. But I never understood why he gets to be a genius compared to other performers that are not called geniuses. He is a good guitarist.

Quote Originally Posted by jasn
    I probably should't post this, but Van Occupanther also reminds me of the Dan Folgelberg/Tim Weisberg release Twins Sons from Different Mothers", and I mean that as a good thing.
    Why should you not post a comment about music? Will you be scolded?

I will check out this album if I can. Thank you for the recommendation. I never considered Dan Fogelberg in this regard.

Forum Regular
    Why should you not post a comment about music? Will you be scolded?
    Oh...you are new here, aren't you

To be more specific, the tracks I'm saying compliment each other are Midlake's Head Home and DF's Tell Me to My Face. Both share a very similar, jazzy and electric pace.
    Last edited by jasn; 06-18-2008 at 06:13 AM.

The Trials Of Van Occupanther by Midlake

I like this album. Very much so.

Cheers
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    Buckingham's contributions made Tusk one of the greatest of the 70's albums that still sits in frequent rotation for me.
    I've been spinning the new Shearwater, 'Rooks' lately...like many others here, I'm really diggin' it. Obviously the Talk Talk sound is explored and it touches on some Angels of Light (has Thor and some other Angels in the band I think)...but I keep hearing a lot of Midlake in there too - a lot. Anyways, if you dig Van Occupanther, duh - you do, check it out.

btw, the vinyl sounds great! Very quiet and dynamic...listened to Rooks in the car for the first few listens and was a little dissappointed (LP came with a mp3 download). Being able to sit on the couch with the volume kicked up, TT spinning, and a cold one in hand and I've been convinced this is an incredible album.

I will look into this Shearwater, as I am always on the lookout for great music. I have seen Palo Santo in the store the other day, so I think I will go back and buy it.

Thank you.
    They told me I wouldn't, but I found an answer
    I'm Van Occupanther, I'm Van Occupanther

Let me not be too consumed with this world
    Somtimes I want to go home
    And stay out of site for a long time

I've heard the Palo Santo album, and I can certainly see the similarity twix them and Midlake, but Midlake's lyrics are more of the whistful vein, while Shearwater is more of the Jeff Buckly vein, i.e. intentionally depressing about heartache and disappointment. Vocally, they do sound like Talk Talk at times. But Jeff Buckley seems to be the main influence here stylistically, only without the knack for writing coffee house, Cohen-esque material.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information