Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    356

    The Greatest Song of All Time

    so, i'm surfin' the channels last night and i come across, vh1's: "the alternative" program and i see it, oh i probably saw it years ago and i've played the song a million times, but there he is, alive, lip-syncing, and alive, again, just for a moment, my mind races back to a distant time, a happy time, a time of learning, of exploration and experimentation, a time when musical trends were being turned upside down, certainly an exciting yet troubling time for many, ian couldn't handle it, his new found fame, his sickness, his addictions and rejection, it all came to a head and then to an end, and it robbed us all of the "joy" that would never grow, never mature, never reach it's full potential, listening to him and studying his every move, i am overcome by emotion, a calming feeling that allows me to float off and be carried along with the music, to a peaceful place, where there is no stress pulling at your daily lives and that is when it hits me, for in this moment of total clarity, i realize, what is before me, is the greatest song ever made.....

    LOVE WILL TEAR US APART

  2. #2
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Odd coincidence, I've been listening to Joy Division and New Order boots for the past few days pretty much non-stop. Pulled this out last night:

    New Order , Berlin , Columbia Halle 15.nov.2001
    Fm broadcast >CDR>Wave>flac

    dt1.01Crystal 07:15
    dt1.02Transmission 03:46
    dt1.03Regret 04:13
    dt1.04Ceremony 04:52
    dt1.0560 Miles An Hour 04:52
    dt1.06Your Silent Face 06:08
    dt1.07Atmosphere 04:32
    dt1.08Close Range 05:15
    dt1.09Touched by the Hand of God 05:34

    dt2.01Bizarre Love Triangle 05:20
    dt2.02True Faith 06:18
    dt2.03Temptation 08:29
    dt2.04Love Will Tear Us Apart 04:29
    dt2 05Rock The Shack [encore] 06:06
    dt2.06Blue Monday [encore] 07:21

    For the most part the Joy Division that I have isn't really all that great sounding, this is. As they say in the during the show, RIP Ian.

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  3. #3
    Forum Regular Ex Lion Tamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Odd coincidence, I've been listening to Joy Division and New Order boots for the past few days pretty much non-stop. Pulled this out last night:

    New Order , Berlin , Columbia Halle 15.nov.2001
    Fm broadcast >CDR>Wave>flac

    dt1.01Crystal 07:15
    dt1.02Transmission 03:46
    dt1.03Regret 04:13
    dt1.04Ceremony 04:52
    dt1.0560 Miles An Hour 04:52
    dt1.06Your Silent Face 06:08
    dt1.07Atmosphere 04:32
    dt1.08Close Range 05:15
    dt1.09Touched by the Hand of God 05:34

    dt2.01Bizarre Love Triangle 05:20
    dt2.02True Faith 06:18
    dt2.03Temptation 08:29
    dt2.04Love Will Tear Us Apart 04:29
    dt2 05Rock The Shack [encore] 06:06
    dt2.06Blue Monday [encore] 07:21

    For the most part the Joy Division that I have isn't really all that great sounding, this is. As they say in the during the show, RIP Ian.

    jc
    I'm not sure how I feel about New Order playing JD songs in concert. I'm sure I read that the band made a pact, before Ian's death to disband should any member "leave" the band. That's why they continued as New Order, not as JD. When I saw them in the mid '80s, the only JD song they played was Ceremony. Now, half their set is JD songs. I guess it's nice that they're keeping these great songs alive, but part of me thinks it is wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by unleasHell
    so, i'm surfin' the channels last night and i come across, vh1's: "the alternative" program and i see it, oh i probably saw it years ago and i've played the song a million times, but there he is, alive, lip-syncing, and alive, again, just for a moment, my mind races back to a distant time, a happy time, a time of learning, of exploration and experimentation, a time when musical trends were being turned upside down, certainly an exciting yet troubling time for many, ian couldn't handle it, his new found fame, his sickness, his addictions and rejection, it all came to a head and then to an end, and it robbed us all of the "joy" that would never grow, never mature, never reach it's full potential, listening to him and studying his every move, i am overcome by emotion, a calming feeling that allows me to float off and be carried along with the music, to a peaceful place, where there is no stress pulling at your daily lives and that is when it hits me, for in this moment of total clarity, i realize, what is before me, is the greatest song ever made.....

    LOVE WILL TEAR US APART
    Great post. Wonderful sentiments. Here's hoping that this is the year that the movie on Ian's life is released, or at least goes into production.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

  4. #4
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    A sometimes wet and damp York, England
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    I'm not sure how I feel about New Order playing JD songs in concert. I'm sure I read that the band made a pact, before Ian's death to disband should any member "leave" the band. That's why they continued as New Order, not as JD.
    Funnily enough I saw them (New Order) on the NME music awards the other night they received some kind of special award and then did a short set to see the programme out. The second or third song they did was - you guessed it Love Will Tear Us Apart, struck me as strange I don't think I've ever heard of New Order doing that song before.

    I've never been a huge Joy Division fan but that's not to say I don't appreciate how important they were or enjoy the stuff I have heard from them. I like New Order but they have always struck me as the pop side of Joy Division. For me the longevity of Joy Division is as much to do with Tony Wilson/Factory Records and Curtis's death as it is the music.

    Cheers
    Mike

  5. #5
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    The Greatest Song of All-Time?

    Didn't Tenacious D already prove it was "Stairway to Heaven" when they slayed the shinning demon?

  6. #6
    Dubgazer -Jar-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    942
    I love the up-tempo, strummy, floaty, post-punk pop song.. possibly my favorite kind of song..

    Yes, "Love Will Tear Us Apart" was the greatest, and "Transmission" and PiL's "Public Image" were certainly the prototypes.

    and if it wasn't for those songs, we never would have had..

    "Age of Consent"
    "In Between Days"
    "Just Like Heaven"
    "I'll Melt With You"
    "Harborcoat"

    and looking in different directions.. even "She Sells Sanctuary" and "Teenage Riot" owe debts..

    I wouldn't argue that "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is the greatest song ever. I certainly thought so when I first heard it.

    -jar
    Last edited by -Jar-; 02-22-2005 at 10:14 AM.
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..


    The Replacements

  7. #7
    Forum Regular Ex Lion Tamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    I love the up-tempo, strummy, floaty, post-punk pop song.. possibly my favorite kind of song..
    Yeah, me too. "strummy" I like that.
    and if it wasn't for those songs, we never would have had..

    Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-

    "Age of Consent"
    "In Between Days" -- perhaps my favorite of them all
    "Just Like Heaven"
    "I'll Melt With You"
    "Harborcoat"
    ...and; "Christine", "Oblivious" "Bring On The Dancing Horses", "Bigmouth Strikes Again" (my other favorite).
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

  8. #8
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    356

    more...

    Hey JC, I have that DVD, very cool, Jar, Tamer great posts,(3) more items:

    1) I just went to Cingular/ATT wireless and they have a Polyphonic Ringtone for "Love Will Tear Us Apart", it sounds a little hokey, but at this pont I am a little tired of the RHCP "Scar Tissue" so I bought it anyway..

    2) Lyrics: Love Will Tear Us Apart

    When routine bites hard
    And ambitions are low
    And resentment rides high
    But emotions won't grow
    And we're changing our ways, taking different roads
    Then love, love will tears us apart again
    Love, love will tears us apart again

    Why is the bedroom so cold
    You've turned away on your side
    Is my timing that flawed?
    Our respect run so dry
    Yet there's still this appeal that we've kept through our lives
    But love, love will tears us apart again
    Love, love will tear us apart again

    You cry out in your sleep
    All my failings exposed
    And there's a taste in my mouth
    As desperation takes hold
    Just that something so good just can't function no more
    But love, love will tear us apart again
    Love, love will tear us apart again

    3) I love that old strumming style, Echo, did it, as did the Chameleons, Wild Swans, Smiths, and Dif Juz among others...

  9. #9
    Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Cortland NY
    Posts
    444
    Yes! Brilliant post. "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is THE post-punk single in my book, though I'm not sure if it's my favorite Joy Division song. "Novelty," "Shadowplay," "Transmission," "Twenty-Four Hours," "Decades," and maybe "Dead Souls" all qualify as well.

    I don't think Joy Division ever wrote a bad song. New Order, on the other hand..
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "


    <b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

  10. #10
    Forum Regular Ex Lion Tamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by mad rhetorik
    Yes! Brilliant post. "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is THE post-punk single in my book, though I'm not sure if it's my favorite Joy Division song. "Novelty," "Shadowplay," "Transmission," "Twenty-Four Hours," "Decades," and maybe "Dead Souls" all qualify as well.

    I don't think Joy Division ever wrote a bad song. New Order, on the other hand..
    Agreed: "Best post-punk single.

    Also agreed not my favorite JD song. Actually, I'm surprised how easy it is for me to pick my favorite...Atmosphere...don't have to think twice. Disorder is probably #2, LWTUA, #3, the rest tied for third.

    That's a good sub-thread: "Top three Joy Division songs".
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

  11. #11
    Forum Regular MindGoneHaywire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    1,125
    Dead Souls is definitely at the top of my list. Tear Us Apart is a great single, a great pop single, but while I'm not going to go through the exercise, I could probably name a hundred or so pop singles I think are better, or that I enjoy better, or something like that. I think what Joy Division was about comes across more in songs like Ice Age, but that's just me. The problem is that there are technopop songs that came along afterwards that I think are just as good as Tear Us Apart, some of which come from pretty lightweight outfits that couldn't carry Joe Div's jockstrap.

    Listened today to the remaster of Echo & The Bunnymen's Crocodiles, and a few stray tracks from Songs To Learn & Sing. Between them & the first couple Psychedelic Furs recs I think there's output to rival Joe Div even if they weren't as important or didn't have the same impact, or whatever. It's not a competition, of course. But I enjoy Dumbwaiters or Silver as much as any Joe Div toon. And I have yet to hear any act currently working in this genre turn out something that sounds as good to me as these songs. That may sound like the grumblings of a 'no good music anymore' curmudgeon, but the truth is I'm hoping one of these people comes along to prove me wrong. I ain't heard it yet, tho.

    Just picked up Still on CD. My vinyl transfer that I attempted some time ago never took for some reason, and I think I was only able to get it onto 2 CDRs, it wouldn't fit on one. After not having played it in some time, when I played it for the transfer I found that it skipped. A real shame, considering the distinctive packaging. Was there some issue with the length? I vaguely remember someone mentioning something about this on this board. Based on what little research I've done, it kinda looks like everything's there. I'd hate to find out that they did something to it like what was done to the Minutemen's Double Nickels to fit it onto one CD, but on the other hand if something was cut I think I'll get over it. But...does anyone know?

    I don't like others.

  12. #12
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    55
    Hard to believe this spring will be 25 years since Ian took his life - I was also checking out VH-1's alternative show and caught Joy Divisions "Atmosphere" video - which is my fave JD song - I too find the music brings back memories of simpler times...

    Anyone catch the movie "24 Hour Party People"? The section that focused on Joy Division was incredible (the movie for me was horrible after that portion) - the actor who portrayed Ian Curtis was great. I read a rumour that Judd Law was in the running to play Ian in the big Hollywood version - man, that would really be a bummer.

  13. #13
    Forum Regular Ex Lion Tamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh
    Anyone catch the movie "24 Hour Party People"? The section that focused on Joy Division was incredible (the movie for me was horrible after that portion) - the actor who portrayed Ian Curtis was great. I read a rumour that Judd Law was in the running to play Ian in the big Hollywood version - man, that would really be a bummer.
    Lots of changes since I first heard about this movie. Here are a couple of links to the latest articles that I know about

    The Independent

    The Guardian
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

  14. #14
    Dubgazer -Jar-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    That's a good sub-thread: "Top three Joy Division songs".
    1. Atmosphere
    2. The Eternal
    3. Autosuggestion

    Off the top of me 'ead.

    -jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..


    The Replacements

  15. #15
    Forum Regular KEXPMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    142
    if any of you haven't seen "24 Hour Party People", get to the video store now! It's freezing outside anyway.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Rolling Stone Greatest 500 Albums of all time
    By MindGoneHaywire in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-28-2012, 06:26 PM
  2. Friday song of the day
    By Davey in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 09:28 AM
  3. Hey...it's time for Friday Song of the Day!
    By Davey in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-16-2004, 09:32 AM
  4. take your time and buy it right
    By nusiclover in forum Speakers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 10:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •