Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Beats
    I like to have options. (what woman doesn't?)
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Boston? You can't be serious?

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    It's hard to argue with the success of albums like Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, The Beatle's White album or The Eagle's Hotel California, but song for song I'd like to put my vote in for Boston's first album. Every song was a hit.
    Oh, you really are.

Ok, it was likable and all, but the greatest of all time? It's not even on my radar screen. First of all, they had to rely on studio trickery to get those nice vocal harmonies and the dual lead guitar riffs (an octave splitter is the apparatus I'm pretty certain. It takes your voice or other instruments and, as the name implies, creates a duplicate sound that is an octave higher, or lower, as the case may be). Then, when they couldn't replicate it live, it was a huge disappointment to their fans, with many saying how 'flat' they sounded. Well, duh! That's akin to lip-syncing in my opinion.

I'm not refuting your choice because you like what you like, but I'm stating my reasons for not giving it credence on such an esteemed level.
    Last edited by Swish; 01-09-2009 at 07:18 AM. Reason: typo
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

42 Regular
    London Calling is a terrific choice. So is DSOTM. So are Beggar's Banquet and Let It Bleed (and Sticky Fingers and Exile, for that matter). Revolver too.

I'll throw Who's Next and Born to Run into the mix, just for ****zen giggles. And REM's Reckoning, just because I gotta be me.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Oh, you really are.

Ok, it was likable and all, but the greatest of all time? It's not even on my radar screen. First of all, they had to rely on studio trickery to get those nice vocal harmonies and the dual lead guitar riffs (an octave splitter is the apparatus I'm pretty certain. It takes your voice or other instruments and, as the name implies, creates a duplicate sound that is an octave higher, or lower, as the case may be). Then, when they couldn't replicate it live, it was a huge disappointment to their fans, with many saying how 'flat' they sounded. Well, duh! That's akin to lip-syncing in my opinion.

I'm not refuting your choice because you like what you like, but I'm stating my reasons for not giving it credence on such an esteemed level.
    Fair enough, but I still stand by my choice.

More honorable mentions go out to Kansas - Leftoverture, and ELP - Brain Salad Surgery.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

There are several that haven't been mentioned...

....and should be in the top 25 or so.

Echo and the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
    XTC - Skylarking
    XTC - English Settlement
    Chameleons - Script of the Bridge
    World Party - Goodbye Jumbo
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Sugar Beats said

ROCK

Somebody listed Buck Owens and His Buckaroos - Live at Carnegie Hall......what are we smoking here folks?

what are we smoking here folks?

I don't know, but you got any you want to share!

Not a good day so far...could probably use something!
    Don't you like it on the sly? Don't you like it till it hurts? Have I been on your mind? What's a voice without a song?

In naming Dark Side of the Moon my pick as greatest album in Rock history, I realised I was going out on a limb. You guys have named albums that I have likewise considered: Hotel California, Rumors, Led Zep 4, Boston, etc.

First, for me DSOM is noteworthy for its awesome sales record that was usurped only when Michael Jackson's Thriller knocked it out of contention. To think that that album was Number One since its release in 1973 is pretty frickin' amazing.

Secondly, DSOM is a "compete album", in the sense that the cuts are great stand-alone hits but are integrated within the album in such a way that they represent a seamless whole. From the heartbeat that opens the album to the final beat, DSOM is a song cycle that is more contextual than many albums that are random assortments of great merit.

Thrird, DSOM is technologically very influential. With Alan Parsons at the helm in the control room, headphone listeners and quadrophonic fans were treated to a dazzling display of sound effects and musical wizadry that few albums to that time offered. Pink Floyd set the pace for a sound that opened up a huge vista of possibility for future musicians to emulate and perfect. DSOM ushered in this era and it is rightly appreciated if, not for anything else, for this enduring influence.

Fourthly, DSOM is not simply a "rock" album, but one whose musical influences span many genres that were integrated sensibly and with rare finesse. Without going into it, DSOM hearkens forth elements that can be likened to Stockhausen and Ligeti that soon shift to Blues, Jazz, Electronic (Ussachevsky, anyone?), Funk, and Rock. While it's true, many bands and musicians have brought their vast musical heritage to the stage, DSOM does so in a way that is, in my book, unrivalled.

Fifthly, and lastly (I can go on), DSOM is simply deep, man. While other groups sang about sunshine and marigolds, Pink Floyd was content to get to the nittiy-gritty of existence. I will concede that much of PF's earlier, Syd Barrett-inspired albums were rather trite, but that doesn't change the fact that as the band's sound and vision was honed, so did their dark message. DSOM is a thinking man's (or woman's) album, and cannot be casually laid aside once it's played.

So, there you go: My reasons for putting DSOM up, for good or ill but always, for your consideration!

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Sorry Sugar Beats if you're having a bad day. Smokes don't help but maybe some happy music. Very nice thread you started, thanks (you've got my musical wheels a turnin).

I just get a chuckle when someone lists Buck Owens under rock. We used to call him country western. Many of the early Bob Dylan albums when originally released were considered folk music, not rock. Dylan started out as a folk singer not a rock star. Bob Marley and James Brown under rock? I guess the definition of the genre has expanded.

RR6

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    In naming Dark Side of the Moon my pick as greatest album in Rock history, I realised I was going out on a limb. You guys have named albums that I have likewise considered: Hotel California, Rumors, Led Zep 4, Boston, etc.

First, for me DSOM is noteworthy for its awesome sales record that was usurped only when Michael Jackson's Thriller knocked it out of contention. To think that that album was Number One since its release in 1973 is pretty frickin' amazing.

Secondly, DSOM is a "compete album", in the sense that the cuts are great stand-alone hits but are integrated within the album in such a way that they represent a seamless whole. From the heartbeat that opens the album to the final beat, DSOM is a song cycle that is more contextual than many albums that are random assortments of great merit.

Thrird, DSOM is technologically very influential. With Alan Parsons at the helm in the control room, headphone listeners and quadrophonic fans were treated to a dazzling display of sound effects and musical wizadry that few albums to that time offered. Pink Floyd set the pace for a sound that opened up a huge vista of possibility for future musicians to emulate and perfect. DSOM ushered in this era and it is rightly appreciated if, not for anything else, for this enduring influence.

Fourthly, DSOM is not simply a "rock" album, but one whose musical influences span many genres that were integrated sensibly and with rare finesse. Without going into it, DSOM hearkens forth elements that can be likened to Stockhausen and Ligeti that soon shift to Blues, Jazz, Electronic (Ussachevsky, anyone?), Funk, and Rock. While it's true, many bands and musicians have brought their vast musical heritage to the stage, DSOM does so in a way that is, in my book, unrivalled.

Fifthly, and lastly (I can go on), DSOM is simply deep, man. While other groups sang about sunshine and marigolds, Pink Floyd was content to get to the nittiy-gritty of existence. I will concede that much of PF's earlier, Syd Barrett-inspired albums were rather trite, but that doesn't change the fact that as the band's sound and vision was honed, so did their dark message. DSOM is a thinking man's (or woman's) album, and cannot be casually laid aside once it's played.

So, there you go: My reasons for putting DSOM up, for good or ill but always, for your consideration!
    I like your choice and can not dismiss any of your reasons. My only contention is that if I were to choose my favorite PF LP it would be Wish You Were Here instead.

Is no one going to bring up Yes - Fragile?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I like your choice and can not dismiss any of your reasons. My only contention is that if I were to choose my favorite PF LP it would be Wish You Were Here instead.

Is no one going to bring up Yes - Fragile?
    Ah hah, but the question wasn't "what is your favourite album". If it were I would agree with you that WYWH is a better album, musically, than DSOTM. But since that was not the question, I would have to agree with Auricauricle (how the heck do we shorten that?!).

Because the question is not, what is your favourite album, I would also dismiss Leftoverture. Although it is probably my all-time favourite album in the whole world, I'm not sure that it qualifies as Greatest Album in Rock History as defined by SB.

I might, however, include Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. I also agree that London Calling is a very good answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Ah hah, but the question wasn't "what is your favourite album". If it were I would agree with you that WYWH is a better album, musically, than DSOTM. But since that was not the question, I would have to agree with Auricauricle (how the heck do we shorten that?!).

Because the question is not, what is your favourite album, I would also dismiss Leftoverture. Although it is probably my all-time favourite album in the whole world, I'm not sure that it qualifies as Greatest Album in Rock History as defined by SB.

I might, however, include Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. I also agree that London Calling is a very good answer.
    In that case, do we need to throw in names like Bruce Springsteen and Elvis? (not that I think these two belong in the same sentence with each other)

Ajani
    If Bob Marley (REGGAE) can be considered Rock, then Michael Jackson needs to be thrown in there too... Beat It and Dirty Diana are 2 of the best Rock songs of all time.... Billie Jean is just a masterpiece... And anyone who disagrees with me is a pixelthis clone (IMO)!!! Oh and did I mention that the ONLY version of 'Come Together' that I like is by MJ on the History Album (Beatles wrote great songs, too bad they couldn't also sing them)

Also, my favourite other Rock artists are:

Bon Jovi - Living on a Prayer and You give love a bad name... What's not to love???
    Guns & Roses - November Rain & Knockin on Heaven's Door are amazing (oh yeah, Bob Dylan falls into the Beatles category as well)
    AC/DC
    The Eagles
    Green Day
    Prince

Ajani
    DSOM was usurped only when Michael Jackson's Thriller knocked it out of contention.
    Exactly my point... see, even AA realises that Thriller is the greatest Rock album of all time

Suspended
    Roger Waters is/was certainly a musical genius, no doubt about it. DSOM is surely a staple in any 60's and 70's Rock and Roll animal's collection and the Pink Floyd sound, even with the release of "Wish You Were Here" there was a distinctive and unmistakable familiarity that always kept me tuned in, even when I was spaced out, and vise versa. And I don't think I'll ever tire of David Gilmore's voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by RR6
    Bob Marley and James Brown under rock?
    Bob Marley = Reggae which isn't Rock, and James Brown was the "King of Soul" so I don't know how that figues into this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB
    I don't know, but you got any you want to share!

Quote Originally Posted by SB
    Not a good day so far...could probably use something!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn

psych_nurse. You can type it pretty fast.

And I think this is where the discussion potentially disintegrates: Greatest in terms of Music and in terms of Influence. Like you, GM and FA, I think WYWH is musically more accessible; however in terms of influence and range, DSOM is vastly richer.

Mebbe this oughta be put into a different thread (I have considered it fodder for a blog entry, to be honest), I always had a soft spot for Ummagumma. While DSOM and WYWH (and even The Wall) were significant albums in their own right, Ummagumma was important for PF's rare displays of diplomacy. Compare it to future Waters driven albums (The Final Cut) and Gilmore fare (Momentary Lapse of Reason), Ummagumma gave wide berth to the individual members and presented the band in cohesive brilliance (Astronome Domine, Careful With that Axe, Eugene).

Back to Earth, now, Yes was certainly one of the top performers but I think they still command a cult crowd that surpasses main-stream appreciation and impact (this is a compliment, BTW). As for David Bowie, he belongs to a different discussion altogether, describing Greatest Rock Musicians (individuals). As such, he certainly deserves a place on Mount Olympus....

Finally, just call me aa (got rocks in the head, ya know!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Exactly my point... see, even AA realises that Thriller is the greatest Rock album of all time
    C'mere, boy....Yer pickin' one, I got one fer yuh....
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Suspended
    Just so you know how much of an influence PF had on me, My recent concert DVD purchases were "Live at Pompeii", "Pulse" and "On an Island".

Nevertheless, Led Zep IV is still my hands down choice for the stated parameters.

Me so GREEN!

I am not sure if Thriller can be called a "rock" album, but there is no doubt in my mind that it is a significant and important one in its own right. Say what you will, Thriller deserves special merit for musicianship, technological prowess, sales and influence. Michael Jackson truly was a musical and perfomance prodigy, and I think that those fortunate to see his work were see a phenomenon that comes around very, very rarely.

Led Zep IV: Yeah, another worthy woofer killer to be sure!

Smokes don't help but maybe some happy music...

Any suggestions? I feel fresh out, brain melt... Can't think of any
    "happy music" not in the mood I guess.

I don't smoke anyway, or drink. So no real "vices" there. It's not like
    I'll go drown (sp?) my sorrows in a drink... even if I feel like I want to.
    Don't you like it on the sly? Don't you like it till it hurts? Have I been on your mind? What's a voice without a song?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Just so you know how much of an influence PF had on me, My recent concert DVD purchases were "Live at Pompeii", "Pulse" and "On an Island".
    Go get David Gilmour Live in Gdansk with the 2 DVDs. Stunning.

Do you really want to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Bon Jovi - Living on a Prayer and You give love a bad name... What's not to love???
    I didn't think so.

Ajani
    Me so GREEN!

I am not sure if Thriller can be called a "rock" album, but there is no doubt in my mind that it is a significant and important one in its own right. Say what you will, Thriller deserves special merit for musicianship, technological prowess, sales and influence. Michael Jackson truly was a musical and perfomance prodigy, and I think that those fortunate to see his work were see a phenomenon that comes around very, very rarely.

Led Zep IV: Yeah, another worthy woofer killer to be sure!
    Thriller is a great album... I don't think it really counts as Rock either (I think 'Beat It' is about the only 'Rock' song on Thriller), but if we're going to count Bob Marley, then why not MJ?

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I didn't think so.
    You're banished from this thread and sentenced to debating Plasma Vs LCD with Pixelthis for your insolence!!!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information