BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar

Good multi-channel audio

So i fired mine up with LA Women DVD-A and the Police Classics SACD Hybrid. What are some others that will show off the multi-channel sound?
    Look & Listen

Check out Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company - great multi-channel mix. Also, Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road has a pretty agressive multi-channel mix.

Forum Regular
    I have GYBR and think it's great. I also have Honky Chateau, which is worth the price alone to hear Rocket Man wash over your head and around the room.

DSOTM in 5.1 is a fresh ride on a very familiar road, and Yes Fragile is fun too. Porky Tree's In Abstentia also has it's good moments, but it's Beck's Sea Change on DVD-A that I spend the most time with for two reasons: It is a new title for me so I did not already know the material by heart; and the video artwork is very cool and spacey.

With all these titles, I am actually as much impressed with the improved sound quality as I am with the novelty of hearing it in 5.1. Seeing these in BB for $15 a shot makes it harder to turn them down. I don't think I'd have as many if they were in the $25 range...

Jasn:

I'll have to check out Honky Chateau - I knew they were releasing it in SACD, but I didn't know when. I have Sea Change on SACD, great disc - one of my favorites (although not the most uplifting album in the world . . .).

Have you heard any of the Allman Bros. SACDs (e.g. Fillmore East or Eat a Peach)? I'm a big fan of both those albums and wondering if it is worth buying these new versions.

Two SACD's of mine with great sound quality, albeit 2-channel only, are Willie Nelson's Stardust and Thelonius Monk's Straight, No Chaser. I just wish I could play them in my car once in a while. This format sometimes is very frustrating. But I do agree that the price is right . . .

Forum Regular
    I've seen the Allman Bro.s choices and am tempted myself to pick up Peach. I really wish I weren't just replicating things I already own... as remasters no less.

The Elton titles are multi-format, BTW. I listened to HC in the car last week and it sounds very good.

I have Stardust on japanese vinyl (unplayed for several years) and have been very tempted by the SACD version. It would be fum to compare. I don't own any Thelonius, so maybe I should begin there....

Thx for the recommendations. I'll try to post comments on any further purchases. Please try to do the same.

Forum Regular

my faves

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    So i fired mine up with LA Women DVD-A and the Police Classics SACD Hybrid. What are some others that will show off the multi-channel sound?
    Queen nigths at the opera and the game are pretty good, bjork vespertine the three of them in dvd audio.
    im am waiting for I robot and chicago II and V.
    Others that i enjoy are Al Dimeola flesh on flesh( SACD), Erich Kunzel playing Frank Sinatra on Nelson Ridlle big band arrengements and Epics ( Telarc SACD), David Bowie Ziggy Stardust.

Forum Regular
    Can anyone post a review of Nektar's Remember the Future on SACD? I still don't have it on CD and that would be a no-brainer for me if the sound is good.

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Roxy Music - Avalon SACD is pretty good, even if it did come from a PCM master.

My fave is Super Furry Animals - Rings Around The World DVD video. Not hi-rez but the DTS track sounds really good. Does your DVD player do DVD-R? If so and you're interested in "previewing' it send me a private message

NP: Earlimart - Treble & Tremble
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Blue Man Group - Audio -- center of a multi-percussionist ensemble, but enjoyable as long as you're an air drummer.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Visit http://www.chuckamuck.com/music for my insight on a few.

It should be a law that everyone own Yes's Fragile on DVD-A.

Forum Regular
    Look at the # of views this thread has over others with the same lifespan....

...that says a lot about the fate of the format, don't you think?

I'm new to the SACD and DVD-A game with a really inexpensive Pioneer universal player ($85? Why wouldn't you buy one?). I don't have nearly as much time for sitting down and truly enjoying the benefits of 5.1 music, but I can see myself finding the time every so often. I'd hate to see the formats die, and hope that the manufaturers and content providers keep producing 5.1 products.

No-one has mentioned Dark Side on SACD yet? Yikes!

Forum Regular
    Dark Side Of the Moon,best one I've heard.
    Anyone know if Killers Hotfuss available as SACD yet?

Thread Information