Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,665

    Glam Rock collection or Starbucks, what were you thinking?!

    I was in Starbucks last night getting a little fake fix with a cuppa decaf and started looking at a CD that was at the cash register which was a collection of glam rock tunes. Some nice choices from David Bowie, Queen, T-Rex, Roxy Music, Sweet and other classic 70's artists that you would expect to see there. And then, right smack dab in the middle of the disk...Mika.

    Mika?

    MIKA???

    Are you freakin' kidding me?

    No offense to Mika fans out there, it was more a case of "one of these things is not like the others",

  2. #2
    Stainmaster Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Fumbuck
    Posts
    2,448
    That's like the funk compilation I got from the used bins a while ago. Lots of classic, blacktastic funky stuff, but it started w/ Queen's Another One Bites the Dust.

    fp

  3. #3
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,850

    I believe what they're thinking is....

    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I was in Starbucks last night getting a little fake fix with a cuppa decaf and started looking at a CD that was at the cash register which was a collection of glam rock tunes. Some nice choices from David Bowie, Queen, T-Rex, Roxy Music, Sweet and other classic 70's artists that you would expect to see there. And then, right smack dab in the middle of the disk...Mika.

    Mika?

    MIKA???

    Are you freakin' kidding me?

    No offense to Mika fans out there, it was more a case of "one of these things is not like the others",
    ...'Our business model is broken and our coffee sucks, so we have to figure out how to attract customers'.

    Swish - serving real coffee since 2001
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  4. #4
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,665
    Judging by the line-ups every morning, their business model isn't that broken.

    But I'd love to see more independent coffee pushers like you.

  5. #5
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,850

    Let me say this about that...

    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Judging by the line-ups every morning, their business model isn't that broken.

    But I'd love to see more independent coffee pushers like you.
    ...they just closed a large number of shops world-wide and their profitability has dropped like a rock. That's what I meant by the business model being broken. If all you sell is coffee and related products, you won't make very much money unless you're packed all day long, and that's just not the case in many of their locations. The other thing that bugs me is that they likely pay bottom-of-the-barrel prices for their beans and still charge more than independents. As for the taste of their coffee, I stand by my comments.

    Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  6. #6
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Swishbarista
    The other thing that bugs me is that they likely pay bottom-of-the-barrel prices for their beans and still charge more than independents. As for the taste of their coffee, I stand by my comments.


    I completely agree with you.

    (huh? did hell just freeze over? )

  7. #7
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    7,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...they just closed a large number of shops world-wide and their profitability has dropped like a rock. That's what I meant by the business model being broken. If all you sell is coffee and related products, you won't make very much money unless you're packed all day long, and that's just not the case in many of their locations. The other thing that bugs me is that they likely pay bottom-of-the-barrel prices for their beans and still charge more than independents. As for the taste of their coffee, I stand by my comments.
    My perception is, at least around here, Starbucks did a little gambling with the locations. In my immediate neighborhood they speculated on some of the urban restoration projects and lost. Not a lot of Benzos rollin' through when the Latin Kings got through tagging the walls. In fairness, this is one of the most corrupt cities anyone's ever invisaged and I'm sure the Seattle boys bought into the City Council's schpiel hook, line, and sinker.

    It's probably reasonable to assume as well that in dire economic times with limited discretionary funds available the public may opt out five dollar cups of coffee.

  8. #8
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,850

    Well said.

    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    It's probably reasonable to assume as well that in dire economic times with limited discretionary funds available the public may opt out five dollar cups of coffee.
    While coffee has a very high profit margin, our shop wouldn't survive without food sales. You can't make a whole lot if every customer spends less than $2 when they visit, at least not in our fairly small town. I've been to plenty of big cities and drooled at the long lines at Starbucks (San Diego in particular), thinking of how awesome that would be if we had that kind of foot traffic. But alas, it will never happen here. We've only raised our cupped prices 3 times in 7 years, but need to again because our suppliers keep raising theirs, and at some point, we can eat the increases any longer. We're still well below Starbucks price, and with a better product, but it doesn't matter if we're not in a major market. We do find that people are cutting back some, and we're selling fewer of the specialty drinks like cappuccinos and lattes.

    Swish - Enjoyin' my coffee
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  9. #9
    Sure, sure... Auricauricle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Yonder
    Posts
    3,114
    Coffee culture here in the Holy City has been remarkarbly resilient, and Starbucks gets a pretty good---and well deserved---kicking. A friend, who started out by repairing machines for Lavazza now owns one of two or three local roasters and has the coveted distinction of being the most sought out supplier. Various firms have come and gone, but another couple of friends, who put up shop in places where the proximity to Starbucks, a stonethrow away actually, or to the local college has help keep them afloat. More importantly, and in fairness to their product, the coffee served at these places is far superior to Starbucks' brew and their "Mom and Pop" appeal converts many Bucko's who defect in the spirit of "keeping it local" and disingenuous appeal.

    Still, you have to give credit to Starbucks. My German wife mentions that American coffee was a non-entity (keeping the language safe, here) before the firm raised the bar.

    Choc-full-o'nuts anyone?

  10. #10
    Suspended 3-LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Hey! Over here!
    Posts
    2,747
    I think Starbucks have gone to the new espresso machines and have cut way back on the number of barristas they employ. They also got into hot water (har har) with their payroll scheme, whereby tips trickled up, and different shops 'shared' employees as a means of skirting around overtime pay. A few other chain outfits use the same practices, but Starbucks was called to the carpet for those just this year. They are of course, appealing Washington state's ruling that Starbucks owed both former and current employees back overtime pay and tips.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook