Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Regarding Fruit Bats; good and a grower but Mouthfuls is better. Wanna hear it (and Love Kraft if you still need it)? Hey, I'm sorta open-minded and would give Sunset Tree a chance
    So you fancy a trade, eh? What kind of a trade? Is, uh,...Is your wife a goer, eh? Know whatahmean, know whatahmean, nudge nudge, know whatahmean, say no more? Is your uh, is your wife interested in....photography, ay? Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more? A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat! Say no more, say no more!

On my way to the mailbox right now. Well, maybe not right now but you know what I mean, wink, wink, nudge, nudge. Say no more!

Speaking of brit com . . .

from Bottom:

Clerk - Can I help you sir?

Eddie - This is a sex shop isn't it?

Clerk - Yes.

Eddie - I'll have five quid's worth then.

Clerk - Very droll sir, I've never heard that one before.

Eddie - Haven't you? Shall I tell it again?

Clerk - No thank you sir, I'd rather have a pineapple violently inserted into my rectum.

Eddie - You've been working here too long mate.

Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshy Towers
    I'd rather have a pineapple violently inserted into my rectum.
    Ouch! SAY NO MORE!

re

I don't ever remember going this far into a new year having heard so few "new" albums. But aside from Aimee Mann's album, I haven't gotten any 2005 albums... until last week. So I can hardly call this cut (below) one of the "best" things from '05... heck it's only the second thing I've heard so far! But it's a simple little number, worth a listen because of Mr Belew's tasty tweenings. A good summer song... simple, but the kind that holds up for multiple listenings. Then again, my tastes are peculiar.

This cut actually reminded me of Mary when I heard it, so it's kinda ironic she would pop outta the aether right now. The lyric is topical, and vaguely political, but they (tastefully) leave any (overt) meanings up in the air (open for multiple musings) for the listener. (the CD "is dedicated to all of the brave soldiers who risk their own lives to protect ours"). The guitar & vocals here are by Adrian Belew, although it's not his work. (my mystery cut) Since I rarely visit or post anymore, I figured I'd make up for it with some actual music. Dedicated to you & yours Mary... good to hear all is well!

1,2,3,4... this is rock'n roll (right click & save... it's 6M, so dial-uppers... ferget it; sorry)
    You don't know... jack

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Girl
    I apologize if this has been visited ad nauseum but I was curious what are your favorite 2005 released recordings. I haven't purchased much but what few purchases were made, I really didn't like (i.e., Coldplay, White Stripes, Mariah Carey). Would appreciate recs for all genres...not just rock/pop.
    I know that Under My Skin was released in 2004 but I bought the "Under My Skin - DUALDISC" which came out in 2005. Does this count?

I didn't like anything else that came out so far this year.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Some I really like so far this year include...

Ryan Adams: Cold Roses
    Gorillaz: Demon Days
    Populous: Queue for Love
    Engineers
    Hold Steady: Seperation Sunday
    MIA: Arular
    John Doe: Forever Hasn't Happened Yet
    Common: Be
    Boards of Canada: The Campfire Headphase
    The National: Aligator
    White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan

Still more I like and more I'm still wanting to hear. But, so far these are some of my favorites of the year, although I'm probably leaving something off. And, if I sat down and thought about it, th list would probably change.

Oh...and I wouldn't really call it one of the year's best, but I have a soft spiot for Willie Nelson: Countryman. Ya gotta love Willie trying to pull of a reggae album, and it really does sound pretty good with a few stand out tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Not sure if it's a commentary on 2005 new music, but my two favorite records for the year are actually from 2004, and I missed both of them until just recently- Micah P. Hinson & The Gospel of Progress, and Two Gallants- The Throes. Both by artists just barely into their 20's, both grabbed me and got my attention totally.
    I'm realy starting to warm up to that Micah Hinson disc. Very nice mix of Isaac Brock and Will Oldham and Tom Waits and Jeff Mangum and some of my other favorites. A couple of the songs kind of rub me the wrong way, especialy when they don't seem to go anywhere and get repetitious, but then he follows it with a jaw dropper. Great stuff, and you were right ...

Track 11 is my favorite on the Hinson disk- raw and immediate, building to a pretty stormy climax.
    ... when you said that awhile back, that's one of the really nice times, although the last three songs send me off in the right direction. Doesn't that third song sound a lot like Modest Mouse to you? Especially when he says, "that don't mean a thing anyway", it sounds almost just like Brock and also sounds like something he would write

Just checked and seems the writer at PopMatters had a few reservations about it and only rated it a 6, and I tend to agree about the reservations, but I guess that my feeling is they are much more minor and my rating would be quite a bit higher. But doesn't really matter since there are easily enough stellar moments to warrant recommending it to anyone who has an affection for this type of music.

But talk about a disc for broken-hearted lovers, this is the drug. That song called "I Still Remember" in the middle is just a heart ripper, "And I still remember thinking, I wish I could know you, for an eternity, or at least until we grow old. And I still remember thinking, how lovely it could be, to hold you for eternity, or at least until you fell asleep", trading verses with that angelic Sarah Lowes from the Earlies (who back him and produce the album, Sloshy). Beautiful. And that 8 1/2 minute epic cosmic country closer, "The Day Texas Sank To The Bottom of The Sea", just knocks me out. Almost like that wonderful Walkabouts' reworking of the Carter Family classic "The Storms Are On the Ocean". Thanks again for the nudge nudge wink wink to get to know this one better. Another I need to add to my hugely underfunded "need a legitimate copy of" list
    Last edited by Davey; 09-17-2005 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    I'm realy starting to warm up to that Micah Hinson disc. Very nice mix of Isaac Brock and Will Oldham and Tom Waits and Jeff Mangum and some of my other favorites. A couple of the songs kind of rub me the wrong way, especialy when they don't seem to go anywhere and get repetitious, but then he follows it with a jaw dropper. Great stuff, and you were right ...
    I won't argue that there aren't a couple of less than stellar songs mixed in. I try to keep perspective by reminding myself this is a 22 year old. And it isn't necessary to do that for long- usually until the next song starts.

... when you said that awhile back, that's one of the really nice times, although the last three songs send me off in the right direction. Doesn't that third song sound a lot like Modest Mouse to you? Especially when he says, "that don't mean a thing anyway", it sounds almost just like Brock and also sounds like something he would write
    There's definitely some indie kinship working throughout, but I don't sense much direct honor being payed to anyone in particular. But, then again, I have basically no indie cred anyway.

Just checked and seems the writer at PopMatters had a few reservations about it and only rated it a 6, and I tend to agree about the reservations, but I guess that my feeling is they are much more minor and my rating would be quite a bit higher. But doesn't really matter since there are easily enough stellar moments to warrant recommending it to anyone who has an affection for this type of music.

But talk about a disc for broken-hearted lovers, this is the drug. That song called "I Still Remember" in the middle is just a heart ripper, "And I still remember thinking, I wish I could know you, for an eternity, or at least until we grow old. And I still remember thinking, how lovely it could be, to hold you for eternity, or at least until you fell asleep", trading verses with that angelic Sarah Lowes from the Earlies (who back him and produce the album, Sloshy). Beautiful. And that 8 1/2 minute epic cosmic country closer, "The Day Texas Sank To The Bottom of The Sea", just knocks me out. Almost like that wonderful Walkabouts' reworking of the Carter Family classic "The Storms Are On the Ocean". Thanks again for the nudge nudge wink wink to get to know this one better. Another I need to add to my hugely underfunded "need a legitimate copy of" list
    Indeed, the verse trading on that song is a fine moment among several fine moments throughout this ceedee. Some music finds an immediate way into the right place in me. This one does- I picked up a legit copy of it last week. The young man deserves support, and I'll be happy to wait around for the next one from him to see where he goes(although there is "another" one that, as I understand it, is earlier than Gospel of Progress- basically demo tapes.). You might want to consider Two Gallants- The Throes, as well- definitely some similarities in mood.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

I won't argue that there aren't a couple of less than stellar songs mixed in. I try to keep perspective by reminding myself this is a 22 year old. And it isn't necessary to do that for long- usually until the next song starts.
    Yeah, for me it's only #8 and #10. The rest is gold.

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze, the credless old geezer who's forgotten about more real music in the last year than I can remember from the previous 10
    You might want to consider Two Gallants- The Throes, as well- definitely some similarities in mood.
    Tell me more. I saw the mention of it in the last post but was still digesting the wonder of Micah. What's the story? Never heard of it/them/he/she? Open ears. Has it already been talked about around here or Karma? Guess I need to pay more attention

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Yeah, for me it's only #8 and #10. The rest is gold.

Tell me more. I saw the mention of it in the last post but was still digesting the wonder of Micah. What's the story? Never heard of it/them/he/she? Open ears. Has it already been talked about around here or Karma? Guess I need to pay more attention
    No talk here or Karma that I've seen, other than me saying it's wonderful a time or two. Eschewing creative writing tonight, here's what Pitchfork says, and I don't disagree at all, after a few spins:

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-rev...s/throes.shtml

I'm still beginning to digest it.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Forum Regular

Talking Talking of Micah

I think I hooked JDaniel up a while ago with him and added at least one track to a couple of comps but I guess he's been a slow burner with some.

His latest Baby and The Satellite which I've had a few weeks hasn't had quite the same impact with me so far but I'm not sure of its origins if it's early work released or new stuff. Nothing wrong with it just not as immediate, but still hard to believe his age he sounds real world weary.

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    I think I hooked JDaniel up a while ago with him and added at least one track to a couple of comps but I guess he's been a slow burner with some.
    Ah, I was wondering about the pathway this one had taken. That makes mine a third generation copy - good thing we're in the digital age! Hehehe, guess I owe you a thanks too Mike. And one to JD as well. Definitely feeling the love for Micah and the Earlies on this one. He does seem to get more press in the UK where this whole Americana scene is so much stronger. Hope someday it comes home, but I guess there's still enough of an underground to keep some of the mags like No Depression (the real deal) and Paste (more glossy AAA, less earthy americana) going.

Forum Regular

Just in case there are jazz fans out there...

1) Joshua Redman - Momentum
    2) Jeff "Tain" Watts - Detained at the Blue Note
    3) Larry Coryell - Electric
    4) Kurt Rosenwinkle - Deep Song

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information