Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Favorite Dance Tracks

Figured I'd start a thread highlighting dance music, because I rarely see the dance genres featured on this board. As much as I like to sit at home with my system and listen to music, I also like to get out and interact with the music! Good dance music is something that you can identify with, and it carries a rhythm that you can't put down.

So, c'mon guys! Even if you're rhythmically challenged and can't stand much of what passes for dance music nowadays or in decades past, there's got to be SOMETHING that moves you! Give up your dance picks!

This list has some of my personal favorite dance tracks. All of these tracks have been played countless times, yet I never get tired of them. They also cover a fairly Considering how much dance music (or music in general) is disposable and forgettable, these are the ones that have stood up the best for my own personal enjoyment.

"That Old Black Magic" - Louis Prima & Keely Smith

This is incredibly fun music with the consumate showman Prima and the incomparable voice of Keely Smith. It's music that swings, and was made after the swing era. More of a small jump-blues ensemble than the traditional big band format. All the more fun because it switches between samba and swing rhythms.

"Yaye Boy" - Africando

Ironic that my favorite salsa tune comes from a band that features West Africans! I don't understand a damn thing that these guys are saying, but whatever it is, it moves so well! This is a great track that starts with a very memorable piano melody that's cool and full of machisimo at the same time.

"Vertigo/Relight My Fire" - Dan Hartman

I was never huge on most disco music, because so much of it was gawdawful and overplayed. The stuff that gets heard most often is often derisively referred to as "wedding disco." And if you've been to enough weddings, you'd know that ANY music with the "wedding-" prefix in front of it can't be good! Anyway, this particular track was released at the tail end of the disco heyday in 1980. Even though this song recycles just about every disco cliche -- the string flurries, the female background vocals, the watered-down funk guitars, and that familiar rhythm -- it also recombines everything so effectively that I view this as the epitome of what disco is capable of in the right hands. Yes, it's bombastic, derivative at times, and LONG, but damn is it ever great to dance to.

"Space Cowboy" (David Morales remix) - Jamiroquai

Acid jazz was an early-90s effort to meld hip hop with live musicians and a jazz-like improvising structure. Even though it produced some very uneven results, it also created one of the best ever platforms for dance remixing. This track is an incredibly reloaded dance tune, transforming a song that originally sounded almost like something from a mid-70s Stevie Wonder album into something very contemporary. IMO, this is about as timeless a dance track as there is from that time period. David Morales did a lot of other superative remixes, but this is his masterwork.

"Game Master" - Lost Tribe

IMO, this is the ultimate trance track and the best of what late-90s dance music had to offer. It's abstract (as most trance music is), yet it has an ebb and flow that's missing from a lot of electronica, which most listeners will regard as just repetitive noise on first listen (until a master DJ properly mixes it). To me, it's also incredibly intense. The first time I heard this at a club, it felt like an out of body experience and no drugs were involved!
    Last edited by Woochifer; 03-21-2005 at 08:29 PM.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    This thread recently came up on another board, so I have my answers more prepared than usual (which doesn't necessarily mean prepared, just...not completely unprepared):

Depeche Mode, "Something To Do" (Metalmix) -- there's something about those backwards sampled drums that just establishes the groove.

Ministry, "So What" -- bass line from hell. There's something about back and forth between the quiet and the loud that just works, too.

C+C Music Factory, "Everybody Dance Now" -- I don't care who you are, this one pumps you up.

808 State, "Cubik" -- there was a period in the early 90's where I couldn't look at a digital clock, and have it read anything other than 8:08, and not think that theme.

LA Style, "James Brown is Dead" -- epitomically techno.

Torch Song, "Prepare to Energize" -- always enjoyed this classic from a pre-Madonna William Orbit. (Very, very pre-...L, that might be pre-William Orbit William Orbit.)

Pop Will Eat Itself should be in there somewhere, too -- "Can You Dig It?", "Wise Up Sucker" or perhaps "Ich Bin Ein Auslander".

Yello synthesize the greatest rhythm section.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    I know that this does not fall into the dance music category, by any means, but everytime I hear Shake It Up And Go off of BB King's Blues On The Bayou album I can't help but cut a little rug.
    -Shwamdoo

Maybe this isn't what you're looking for, but these were my favorites back when I DJ'd a few parties back in college (1991, 92 abouts), or when we were out at the Lift or where ever we were dancing..

The Smiths - HOW SOON IS NOW?

Siouxsie & The Banshees - CITIES IN THE DUST

Depeche Mode - EVERYTHING COUNTS or BEHIND THE WHEEL

New Order - PERFECT KISS though you'd more likey get requests for BIZARRE LOVE TRIANGLE

Ministry - STIGMATA or THIEVES if you wanted to initiate an instant mosh pit.

Revolting Cocks - BEERS, STEERS and *****S (yee haww!!)

Charlatans UK - THE ONLY ONE I KNOW (I remember the first time this was played, the club went nuts)

NIN - DOWN IN IT

Jane's Addiction - BEEN CAUGHT STEALIN' (party favorite of course)

Meat Beat Manifesto - DEVIATE or DOG STAR MAN or STRAP DOWN.. a lot of their early stuff is kind of interchangeable but all were great for dancing.

Front 242 - HEADHUNTER
    Nizter Ebb - JOIN IN THE CHANT
    It wasn't a party unless these two cuts were played, usually back-to-back.

I could go on for a while... another one we always liked to play that got people going was the Anthrax version of BRING THE NOISE.

And you could always get a party going with FIGHT THE POWER by PE.

I didn't play much rap/hip-hop because I just didn't know much, I usually spun with a friend who supplied most of that stuff..

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    LA Style, "James Brown is Dead" -- epitomically techno.
    While definately a groundbreaking track, this one was the beginning of the end for me and my dance clubbing days.. the beats just started getting faster and faster and and faster.. and the whole rave culture thing started taking over, I just kind of felt like an outsider. I was more comfortable at the Euc seeing Polvo and Zen Guerilla and moshing to the Cows.

-jar

The Replacements

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I dunno...Nine Inch Nails "Closer" is always popular...
    Me, I like anything by Crystal Method...
    And that's about as far as I go...
    I'm more into the soft, close, romantic kind of dancin....

Dee-lite

"Groove is in the Heart" - that one is stuck in my head now thanks to this thread.

You couldn't go to a party without dancing to that song back in the early 90's.

That and "Love Shack"

I remember also that we would have "80's" parties. Yes, in 1989, 90, etc. Even then songs like "Come On Eileen" and "Our House" and "Take On Me" seemed OLD to me.

-jar

The Replacements

Dvorak Op. 46, Slavonic Dances

Looks like we got a lot of 80's and 90's action going here! 808 State, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, Pop Will Eat Itself, haven't heard those suspects pop into the discussion in quite a while -- I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    While definately a groundbreaking track, this one was the beginning of the end for me and my dance clubbing days.. the beats just started getting faster and faster and and faster.. and the whole rave culture thing started taking over, I just kind of felt like an outsider. I was more comfortable at the Euc seeing Polvo and Zen Guerilla and moshing to the Cows.
    Interesting because that was around the time that I got more into the club scene because I liked the newer music. "James Brown Is Dead", The KLF's "Stadium House Trilogy" and 2Unlimited's "Twilight Zone" and "Get Ready For This" I think were watershed songs that really shifted the music in the club scene. I bought the 12" singles for "James Brown Is Dead" and "Twilight Zone" not knowing that they would (d)evolve into "jock rock" stadium anthems by the end of the decade!

Rhythmically, most 80's dance music outside of hip-hop was awkward to dance to IMO. Even though friends of mine liked stuff such as A-Ha's "Take On Me", Modern English's "I Melt With You" or the ubiquitous "Bizarre Love Triangle" by New Order, I never got the hang of it. The ones who were more into that style of club music felt the same way that you did when acid house started trickling into the clubs in the late-80s, whereas for me the rave scene felt like a second home when it sprouted. Even though I never got into the 140+ bpm techno and drum 'n bass, I connected better with the basic house rhythm than the stuff that dominated during the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I dunno...Nine Inch Nails "Closer" is always popular...
    Me, I like anything by Crystal Method...
    And that's about as far as I go...
    I'm more into the soft, close, romantic kind of dancin....
    You? into that kind of dancin'? Who woulda thunk it?

Love Crystal Method as well, and their Tweekend album has been one of my test discs for the past few years. I'm also thinking about getting the multichannel version of Legion of Boom because I've grown to really like that album. As much as I like them and some of the other "big beat" stuff like the Chemical Brothers, I like to kick back when that stuff plays.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I loved Crystal Method's first album, the 2nd one was okay...haven't heard Legion of Boom, yet...maybe I'll try to find that in multi-channel this week...I'm sure that'd be a good test for the new sub...

AR Newbie Registered Member

Dance Music

yeah, for dance music, basically you've got to get the hottest stuff from the euro-zone, everything else pretty much sucks... for example this stuff pretty much rocks..... (direct itunes link)

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...Club+Hits+Vol+

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Well, hypothetically, if I did dance (a form of expression that I haven't used in many years and used badly when I did), I'd have to still go back to Add it Up (Violent Femmes). Typical white-guy-can't-dance fare.

Suspended
    "Violent Femmes" WOW, there's one outta the deep dark past (just like this thread).

I'll have to admit that even though I don't really dance anymore, because I don't drink like I used to and thus don't care how stupid I looked, I like a lot of Madonna's 80's and 90's stuff. I guess "Dress You Up" and "Holiday" were my favorites. But the one that ALWAYS got me out on the floor was "Love Shack!" by Talking Heads. I could make all my friends laugh in unison when that song came on when we were at the clubs in Jersey. Some fun times back then.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    "Violent Femmes" WOW, there's one outta the deep dark past (just like this thread).

I'll have to admit that even though I don't really dance anymore, because I don't drink like I used to and thus don't care how stupid I looked, I like a lot of Madonna's 80's and 90's stuff. I guess "Dress You Up" and "Holiday" were my favorites. But the one that ALWAYS got me out on the floor was "Love Shack!" by Talking Heads. I could make all my friends laugh in unison when that song came on when we were at the clubs in Jersey. Some fun times back then.
    I know just what you mean, and by the way your friends were laughing at you because Love Shack is by the B-52's!
    I didn't change my mind. It changed all by itself.

Instant Club Hit by the Dead Milkmen

because you'll dance to anything....

Only dance music I got really interested in was the late 80s early 90s industrial stuff. Nitzer Ebb, Thrill Kill Kult, Ministry, Revolting Cocks, etc... Lots of great tracks there.

Ya know, I listen to a good chunk of electronic music, but not a ton of it dance oriented. But, my wife really likes that era of stuff with Crystal Method, Prodigy and that sort of thing that's more dance oriented with the big beats and a bit of an edge to it. She was asking who's making similar stuff today and I had nothing. I like that stuff too, but it seems to be a bit out of fashion now as I can't recall hearing anything recently coming out that's similar. Anyone wanna help me out?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by jasn
    I know just what you mean, and by the way your friends were laughing at you because Love Shack is by the B-52's!
    Whoops! Brain fart!

I keep a folder on my computer especially for '80s techno like New Order, Depeche Mode, Erasure, etc. I love Erasure's cover of Solsbury Hill. I also have quite a few dub-remixes of non-dance tunes, like Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight, Justin Hayward - Forever Autumn, James Brown - In A Cold Sweat, and Ritual - Yes (Steve Howe's son Virgil). I love Jamiroquai.

If I had to pick a fave dance song, its a toss-up between Got To Give It Up by Marvin Gaye or Feel Good, Inc by Gorillaz; I even like the rap section.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Pop Will Eat Itself should be in there somewhere, too -- "Can You Dig It?", "Wise Up Sucker" or perhaps "Ich Bin Ein Auslander".
    I have all three of those songs on my MP3 player. Ich Bin Ein Auslander is actually one of my fave PWEI tunes.

Last edited by 3-LockBox; 04-17-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Not Now James, We're Busy...

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    Ya know, I listen to a good chunk of electronic music, but not a ton of it dance oriented. But, my wife really likes that era of stuff with Crystal Method, Prodigy and that sort of thing that's more dance oriented with the big beats and a bit of an edge to it. She was asking who's making similar stuff today and I had nothing. I like that stuff too, but it seems to be a bit out of fashion now as I can't recall hearing anything recently coming out that's similar. Anyone wanna help me out?
    http://www.musicsrc.com/tag/ebm%20-%...dark%20electro

http://www.ebm-industrial.nl/

A couple of places to begin the search. I'd definitely say Combichrist and maybe Covenant. Frontline Assembly is still making albums as well, albeit significantly more morose than Prodigy or Crystal Method.

I think I would have liked Jar's parties.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Suspended
    GAWD! Why do I feel so freakin' ...mainstream???

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    Crystal Method's still purveying the big beat stuff. But, like other trends in electronic music, the whole big beat phenomenon came and went rather quickly. Even the Chemical Brothers have departed from the big beat sound they helped create. Seems like a case of something that percolated underground for years that got too popular/mainstream too quickly, and the artists scattered before the inevitable backlash engulfed them. A lot of them morphed more into trip-hop or various forms of house.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Rae
    This is an old thread and no one mentioned Devo.

~Rae

Suspended
    This thread is deepter than I thought, I was not into the dance scene and it shows. Dance to me was:

Madonna, a couple favorites Get into the Groove, Music, Who's That Girl
    2nd the C&C
    Yound MC
    Rob Bass,
    Mariah Carey,

You can tell my Dance experience was pure mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    This is an old thread and no one mentioned Devo.

Peek-a-boo
    That's Good
    Jerkin Back N' Forth
    Going Under

Suspended
    Peek-a-boo, the Chi-Lites, good stuff too. Especially for Kex's type of dancing.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    GAWD! Why do I feel so freakin' ...mainstream???

Well try these on for size R'n'T. The club that I cut my teeth in would usually follow this with something hard to mix it up---a mosh set--Corrosion of Conformity or something equally of the punk ethos, Institutionalized by Suicidal Tendencies and, if they were feeling real saucy Last Caress/Green Hell by Metallica. Dancing often involved handcuffs.

Thank god for fake IDs...

If you're interested in stuff from that era (which would be the precursor to modern industrial, EBM/TBM and Goth) check into Sisters of Mercy, New Order/Joy Division, Frontline Assembly, The Southern Death Cult, The Genetic Terrorists, Renegade Soundwave, Fields of the Nephilim, Bauhaus, Anything Box, Alphaville, PWEI, old Ministry, Camoflage, Laibach, Die Krupps etc. etc.
    Last edited by bobsticks; 04-21-2008 at 07:04 PM.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information