Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    6,852

    The exact moment I became a fanboy

    There's a relatively openminded group of characters around here...but with metal, not so much. Fine by me, most of it I don't care for either but every once in a while...I latched on to "Children of Bodom" partially because of their re-introduction of the keyboard into hard music but mostly because of their clearly outstanding musical capabilities. Excepting the occasional cookie monster growl they're pretty straight forward and I would imagine accessible to some of you prog chaps.

    Here's a clip of an instrumental demonstration which displays a serious classical influence and mastery of their instruments:



    OTOH, here's when I knew I was a fan. I'm diggin' their worldview...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxhAx...eature=related
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  2. #2
    Stainmaster Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Fumbuck
    Posts
    2,630
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I latched on to "Children of Bodom" partially because of their re-introduction of the keyboard into hard music but mostly because of their clearly outstanding musical capabilities. Excepting the occasional cookie monster growl they're pretty straight forward and I would imagine accessible to some of you prog chaps.
    Nail/head. I picked up a sampler from the LRS and one of the tunes from CoB was on there. I'd also read about them in a metal mag and it mentioned the keyboards. I liked the tune, so I picked up the disc and it focking rawks. Great stuff.

    I'm really getting into Symphony X lately, too. They aren't as hard as CoB, but they have the keys, and a singer who sings, and they're progressive.

    Thanks for the linky to CoB vid. Gonna check it out rat new.

    fp

  3. #3
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

    Mastery over their instruments? Ya think? Couple of wankers is all I saw.

    Swish - no time for such nonsense
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  4. #4
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Swish - no time for such nonsense
    Then why'd ya look?

  5. #5
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    What, and miss an opportunity to throw a jab in the...

    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Then why'd ya look?
    ...general direction of Bobsticks? Not on your life.

    Swish - let me entertain you
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  6. #6
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    I just like when I have the opportunity to use that smiley. The bulging eyes make me laugh.

    This is a good one too.

  7. #7
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    6,852

    If ya don't like distortion that's cool, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Mastery over their instruments? Ya think? Couple of wankers is all I saw.

    Swish - no time for such nonsense

    Everyone can't be uncoordinated enough to just strum Swisheroo. I suppose you'd like me to overlook the fact that they're actually an amped up version of Rodrigo y Gabriela or Ortega y Gasset or whoever that duo was that you got a woody for...right down to the ionian, phrygian and harmonic minor changes.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  8. #8
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    I love CoB. Gotta admit, I'm finding fewer and fewer heavier rock/metal acts to turn to what with Indy Rock officially dead after over a decade of continuing to copy itself over, and over and over again in the same old boring, simple, non-musical 3 minute formulas engineered for the producing the cheap pop, and alternative rock somehow evolving into whatever Linkin' Park is, it's nice to see there's still creative musicians out there that can merge mechanics and masterful songwriting to create great tunes.

    These guys are pretty close to Symphony X IMO, but I think are actually more popular on the current metal scene. Highly recommended.

  9. #9
    Stainmaster Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Fumbuck
    Posts
    2,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Mastery over their instruments? Ya think? Couple of wankers is all I saw.

    Swish - no time for such nonsense
    You know, I listened to the new John Hiatt, and I gotta say, I'd rather listen to "wankers" like CoB, who at least practice their instruments, than old men such as JH & crew; who sound like they're on the verge of falling asleep in the studio (after they've wanked) as they crank out album #18 (or is it #118?) of stories and chords we've all heard before a hunnert million times...

    fp <------- Knows wankers when he hears 'em.

  10. #10
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte

    fp <------- Knows wankers when he hears 'em.
    Now hear this:


  11. #11
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Now hear this:
    I could live without the silly camera tricks, but that was freakin' awesome.

    Wank on!!!

  12. #12
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    6,852
    Well, there's wanking and thenm there's proper wanking.

    Actually, I think Yngwie was only tolerable when he was functioning within a song structure, and then only for the first couple of albums...that one did become a wankathon.
    Here's a clip off an instructional video and while the backing arrangements are a bit muddy to decipher it's fun to watch those fingers fly. Around the 4 minute mark he seems a little lost in the wank and at 5:13 he clearly misses an arpeggiated run by a step, but hey, it's all in good fun.



    His career has been marred by multiple divorces, drinking and alcohol addiction and a propensity for crashing cars. One of these auto crashes resulted in a temporary paralysis from which he had to completely reteach himself how to play the instrument. Most argue that he never really returned to full form and recently he did some work with the New Japan Philharmonic which seems to validate this.

    I posted a clip of some Asian kid playing this very song and looking completely bored in a not-so-long-ago thread that nobody read: Prog a la Nigel Tufnel



    ....um, sorry Davey 'boutcha thread.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  13. #13
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    10,176
    I'll have to wanking check 'em out. I believe I heard some Amazon samples that didn't do much for me. Any album better than another?

    Yngwie's first album is an excellent and unique master piece but nothing he done since can compare. The record suits tried to push him into a "hair band" mold and it just didn't work. Maybe he was ahead of his time.

    Come on, you guys and show some support, visit my Phideaux thread. They aren't CoB but you might like 'em.

  14. #14
    Close 'n PlayŽ user Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Highway 6, between Tonopah and Ely
    Posts
    2,318
    These guys are the musical equivalent of sewing machines. Repetitive, mechanistic.

    I recommend you play all the clips in this thread at the same time to get the full aural effect.

  15. #15
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    I don't care much for John Hiatt either...

    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    You know, I listened to the new John Hiatt, and I gotta say, I'd rather listen to "wankers" like CoB, who at least practice their instruments, than old men such as JH & crew; who sound like they're on the verge of falling asleep in the studio (after they've wanked) as they crank out album #18 (or is it #118?) of stories and chords we've all heard before a hunnert million times...

    fp <------- Knows wankers when he hears 'em.
    ...and prefer listening to 'young men' found in such bands as The National, Spoon, The Decemberists, The Shins, none of which has more than 6 or 7 albums in their catalog. And none of them boasts masturbatory guitarists who are trying to impress those of you who are easily impressed with bombastic exercises that showcase the 'mastery of their instruments'. Spare me.

    Actually I used to be impressed by these kind of wankers, until I reached puberty.

    Swish - too old for such nonsense.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  16. #16
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    6,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...and prefer listening to 'young men' found in such bands as The National, Spoon, The Decemberists, The Shins, none of which has more than 6 or 7 albums in their catalog. And none of them boasts masturbatory guitarists who are trying to impress those of you who are easily impressed with bombastic exercises that showcase the 'mastery of their instruments'. Spare me.

    Actually I used to be impressed by these kind of wankers, until I reached puberty.

    Swish - too old for such nonsense.
    Temper, temper crankyboy. I have multiple discs by all the bands you listed and enjoy them, and those styles immensely. I also think it's more than fair to say that a certain style or genre may not be to my, or anyone else's preference. If bombastic exercise ain't your thang then cool but I suspect even you realize that criticizing talent and commitment becomes self-negating for a music fan. There's a place at some table for everyone.

    Sticks--eagerly awaiting the Big Daddy Swish Web Cam Guitar Wankathon on YouTube
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  17. #17
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    Mission accomplished.

    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Temper, temper crankyboy. I have multiple discs by all the bands you listed and enjoy them, and those styles immensely. I also think it's more than fair to say that a certain style or genre may not be to my, or anyone else's preference. If bombastic exercise ain't your thang then cool but I suspect even you realize that criticizing talent and commitment becomes self-negating for a music fan. There's a place at some table for everyone.

    Sticks--eagerly awaiting the Big Daddy Swish Web Cam Guitar Wankathon on YouTube
    I actually got the stick man to chastise me for being the old curmudgeon that I am, and am now basking in the bright light and it feels wunderbar.

    Keep one thing in mind; if you're going to put youtube videos on this site, or post about some great prog/metal/world//raggae/techno/trance/electronic/rave record that you find interesting, then ask for comments, not all will be kind. I was obviously laying it on pretty thick in my attempt to busy your balls, but I really, really, really don't care for that crap, although I prolly would have back in the day when I bought my first Les Paul knock-off and dreamed of playing like that. Now I just like songs, although they can incorporate some great leads that aren't too lengthy, ala Nels Cline of Wilco. His leads are pretty awesome, but they always seem to fit the song and not overpower it, ala Eddie VH, who is very talented, but is just so full of himself that it strangles their songs.

    Now go get some sleep. I need some after a few Hop Back Ales.

    Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  18. #18
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    II really, really, really don't care for that crap
    yer a man after my own heart, sorta
    I hate prog, but yer music sucks too
    and you have the same bad tastes in sports teams

    I guess you got no choice in Penisveinya

    eat me

    Go wings

  19. #19
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    6,852
    Kinda hard to follow that...




    ...ball busy-er
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  20. #20
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Now go get some sleep. I need some after a few Hop Back Ales.
    nah yer probly drinkin Genny lights

  21. #21
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    You have to stop lurking in the shadows and start....

    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Djahblomie
    yer a man after my own heart, sorta
    I hate prog, but yer music sucks too
    and you have the same bad tastes in sports teams

    I guess you got no choice in Penisveinya

    eat me

    Go wings
    ...using your old identity again you mother! My taste in sports teams comes with the territory, much like yours...so the Wings are your back-up team since they took care of your Stars? And now the Spurs are done? That leaves the Cowboys, and you know they're going nowhere again this year, especially since they'll need a parole officer in the huddle this year.

    Swish - bite me!
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  22. #22
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Actually I used to be impressed by these kind of wankers, until I reached puberty.
    I still enjoy a good wanking.

  23. #23
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...using your old identity again you mother! My taste in sports teams comes with the territory, much like yours...so the Wings are your back-up team since they took care of your Stars? And now the Spurs are done? That leaves the Cowboys, and you know they're going nowhere again this year, especially since they'll need a parole officer in the huddle this year.

    Swish - bite me!
    You're not talking about me are you? I wouldn't be able to spell that guy's last name even if my life depended on it!!!

  24. #24
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Temper, temper crankyboy. I have multiple discs by all the bands you listed and enjoy them, and those styles immensely. I also think it's more than fair to say that a certain style or genre may not be to my, or anyone else's preference. If bombastic exercise ain't your thang then cool but I suspect even you realize that criticizing talent and commitment becomes self-negating for a music fan. There's a place at some table for everyone.

    Sticks--eagerly awaiting the Big Daddy Swish Web Cam Guitar Wankathon on YouTube
    But don't count on the RR forum to be one of those tables.

  25. #25
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    But don't count on the RR forum to be one of those tables.
    Yeah, yeah, we know, you think we're cliquey.

    These comments are getting tiresome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •