Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Meh. Brett A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North-Central MA
    Posts
    158

    Essential bop jazz recordings

    I'm wondering if ya'll could help. For a long time, I've considered these titles --correctly or incorrectly--to represent the pinnacle of 50's and 60's bop and hard bop genres. I'm continuing to expand this style and era of music in my CD collection and am curious to hear what people consider the best of the best. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

    Dave Brubeck -Take Five
    Miles Davis -Kind of Blue
    Coltrane -Blue Train & Love Supreme
    Monk -Just about anything w/Charlie Rouse
    Cannonball Adderly -Somethin' Else
    Sonny Rollins -Saxophone Colossus
    Bill Evans -Sunday at the Village Vanguard & Waltz for Debbie
    Art Blakey -Night in Tunisia

    What am I missing?

    dig
    Amp Shanling A3000-> speakers Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grand CD Rotel RCD 991 AE TT: Well Tempered Record Player-> AT OC9MLII -> Jolida JD9. cables from AQ, Siltech, Bogdan, Signal DH Labs, etc...
    Some pictures of it all

  2. #2
    Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Lower AL
    Posts
    2,838
    These may be considered 2nd tier bop/hard bop by some, but each has at least a couple of very strong tracks:
    Hank Mobley - No Room for Squares
    Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  3. #3
    Forum Regular MindGoneHaywire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    1,125
    That's a good list, though I wouldn't call Love Supreme bop. I think Giant Steps is just as good, and My Favorite Things just as interesting. And I like some of the Impulse titles like Coltrane's Sound, etc. And the live One Up, One Down that came out a couple of years ago is great.

    Some of my favorites also wouldn't be considered bop, but people do tend to get hung up on labels. Chet Baker was knocked sometimes, but it doesn't make any sense. For one disc, I'd suggest My Funny Valentine; for a good box, Pacific Jazz Years. Grant Green, Matador, Grantstand, and/or the Complete Quartets. Jimmy Smith...the Sermon. Herbie Hancock...Takin' Off. Charlie Parker With Strings. Miles...the Seven Steps box is amazing, and I've listened to Blue Haze as much as anything else recently. Rollins...The Bridge and Tenor Madness are rated up there with Saxophone Colossus, and I like the 1964 RCA sessions thing also. Another tenor, Dexter Gordon...Go!

    And I'm partial to Bossa Nova, so some Stan Getz...

    I don't like others.

  4. #4
    Meh. Brett A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North-Central MA
    Posts
    158



    I can't believe I forgot Mingus AH UM in my OP.

    Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    That's a good list, though I wouldn't call Love Supreme bop. I think Giant Steps is just as good, and My Favorite Things just as interesting. And I like some of the Impulse titles like Coltrane's Sound, etc. And the live One Up, One Down that came out a couple of years ago is great.
    I've got Coltrane pretty well covered. I have all his Atlantic recordings, and the Impulse years classic Quartet box which contains all the albums that quartet put out. I'd have to say of the Impulse stuff, my favorite is Africa/Brass.

    Why not call Love Supreme bop? because it transcends? or is there another genre I'm missing?

    Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Chet Baker was knocked sometimes, but it doesn't make any sense. Another tenor, Dexter Gordon...Go!
    I recently picked up a compilation called the best of Chet Baker Sings. I've really been digging it.
    I forgot about Getz. I have the famous album w/ Girl from Ipanema on vinyl
    I will check out Dexter Gordon Go!
    Amp Shanling A3000-> speakers Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grand CD Rotel RCD 991 AE TT: Well Tempered Record Player-> AT OC9MLII -> Jolida JD9. cables from AQ, Siltech, Bogdan, Signal DH Labs, etc...
    Some pictures of it all

  5. #5
    Forum Regular nobody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,964
    Tons of records could be listed here and some good ones already have been. I'll just toss out a few more that I haven't see brought up.

    Miles Davis: Walkin - Before he started creating new sounds with Kind of Blue, Miles was key to the early development of Bop and this is one of his strongest dates.

    I'll also suggest a vocal record since you dig the Chet Baker, Johnny Hartman with John Coltrane is the only time Coltrane worked with a vocalist and is an excellent album.

    And, while I'm taking about Coltrane, his Ballads album seems kinda divisive with some loving it and others thinking it shows him slumming it with these melodies instead of something wilder, but to me it just sounds great. Excellent playing that show you don't have to blow the roof off the make a great jazz record.

    Last pick I'll make will be Horace Silver's Song for my Father. Great, accessible melodies make this one an easy listen. Instantly catchy, and you'll almost certainly recognize the opening lines of the title track which were later appropriated by Steely Dan.

    (Just noticed you said you've already got Coltrane covered...oops. I'll toss out another suggestion then...Lou Donaldson: Blues Walk, an album that tosses a bluesy vibe into the bop mix.)

  6. #6
    Meh. Brett A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North-Central MA
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    Tons of records could be listed here and some good ones already have been. I'll just toss out a few more that I haven't see brought up.

    Miles Davis: Walkin - Before he started creating new sounds with Kind of Blue, Miles was key to the early development of Bop and this is one of his strongest dates.

    I'll also suggest a vocal record since you dig the Chet Baker, Johnny Hartman with John Coltrane is the only time Coltrane worked with a vocalist and is an excellent album.

    And, while I'm taking about Coltrane, his Ballads album seems kinda divisive with some loving it and others thinking it shows him slumming it with these melodies instead of something wilder, but to me it just sounds great. Excellent playing that show you don't have to blow the roof off the make a great jazz record.

    Last pick I'll make will be Horace Silver's Song for my Father. Great, accessible melodies make this one an easy listen. Instantly catchy, and you'll almost certainly recognize the opening lines of the title track which were later appropriated by Steely Dan.

    (Just noticed you said you've already got Coltrane covered...oops. I'll toss out another suggestion then...Lou Donaldson: Blues Walk, an album that tosses a bluesy vibe into the bop mix.)

    Good, good. I'm getting some good titles here.
    I'm thinking of going to see Lou Donaldson at Bryant College in April. I just saw Freddy Cole there, he was wonderful. So far, don't have any of Lou's music.

    Perhaps another one I could have added to my original list, a title I finally picked up last week, is Ornett Coleman's Free Jazz
    Amp Shanling A3000-> speakers Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grand CD Rotel RCD 991 AE TT: Well Tempered Record Player-> AT OC9MLII -> Jolida JD9. cables from AQ, Siltech, Bogdan, Signal DH Labs, etc...
    Some pictures of it all

  7. #7
    Forum Regular Ex Lion Tamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    Miles Davis: Walkin - Before he started creating new sounds with Kind of Blue, Miles was key to the early development of Bop and this is one of his strongest dates.
    I'd mention any of his quartet of Quintet albums leading up to KOB...Walking, Relaxing, Cookin' and Working. Not to mention Birth of the Cool

    Oscar Peterson - Night Train
    Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
    Mingus - Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus Mingus
    Sonny Rollins - A Night at the Village Vanguard, Way Out West
    Dexter Gordon - A Swinging Affair
    The Poll Winners, featuring Barney Kessel, Ray Brown and Shelley Manne
    Ben Webster - Soulville
    Ike Quebec - Easy Livin'
    Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd - Jazz Samba
    Vince Guaraldi - Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus

    Maybe not all essential, but damn fine.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

  8. #8
    Forum Regular nobody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,964
    You forgot Steamin'.

    I'll second the mentions of Oscar Peterson: Night Train and Ben Webster's Soulville for sure. Another couple on there I may need to check out.

  9. #9
    Do What? jrhymeammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,275

    Bebop? Hard Bop?

    Can I recommend some Hiphop? Ok, maybe not.

    Great rec'mendation above, especially Songs for my Father and Boss Tenor.

    I will like to add a few of my favorite:

    *Ray Bryant - Slow Freight
    *Ahmad Jamal on Argo label
    *Wynton Kelly - Kelly Great
    *Bobby Timmons - This Here is BT

  10. #10
    Meh. Brett A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North-Central MA
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Can I recommend some Hiphop?
    I'd be interested to hear that too, but it would be a bit off topic.

    Some far, some of my faves in that area are:

    • Kool Keith -Black Elvis/Lost in Space
    • All of Missy Elliot's stuff except Cookbook (if you call her hip-hop)
    • Jurassic 5 -Power in Numbers
    • Blackalicious -Blazing Arrows
    • Cee-Lo Green -and his perfect imperfections
    • Dr Dre -The Chronic 2000


    But back to the jazz thing,
    I have ordered a copy of Ben Webster's Soulville and will soon get a copy of Horace Silver's Song for my father.

    Thanks for all your input so far. I'm going to keep all these names w/me next time I go hunting.



    Amp Shanling A3000-> speakers Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grand CD Rotel RCD 991 AE TT: Well Tempered Record Player-> AT OC9MLII -> Jolida JD9. cables from AQ, Siltech, Bogdan, Signal DH Labs, etc...
    Some pictures of it all

  11. #11
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    Nice list

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett A
    I'm wondering if ya'll could help. For a long time, I've considered these titles --correctly or incorrectly--to represent the pinnacle of 50's and 60's bop and hard bop genres. I'm continuing to expand this style and era of music in my CD collection and am curious to hear what people consider the best of the best. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

    Dave Brubeck -Take Five
    Miles Davis -Kind of Blue
    Coltrane -Blue Train & Love Supreme
    Monk -Just about anything w/Charlie Rouse
    Cannonball Adderly -Somethin' Else
    Sonny Rollins -Saxophone Colossus
    Bill Evans -Sunday at the Village Vanguard & Waltz for Debbie
    Art Blakey -Night in Tunisia

    What am I missing?

    dig
    Brett, thanks for that. I'm not huge jazz fan but I have a small collection and I like Bop, or perhaps more precisely taxonomically, Bob, Hard Bop, Modal, and Post-Bop


    I'm too poor and cheap to add recordings to my collection ramdomly, so I construct lists to aid my collecting based on various recommendations. Here is my list of top Bop, Hard Bop, Modal, and Post-Bob recordings, (classification per AMG) -- it includes most of yours not suprisingly:
    Modal


    Coltrane, John


    A Love Supreme


    Modal


    Coltrane, John


    My Favorite Things


    Bop


    Davis, Miles


    Cookin'


    Hard Bop


    Davis, Miles


    Miles Smiles


    Hard Bop


    Davis, Miles


    Round About Midnight


    Post-Bop


    Davis, Miles


    Kind of Blue


    Hard Bop


    Donaldson, Lou


    Blues Walk


    Post-Bop


    Evans, Bill, Trio


    Sunday at the Village Vangard


    Post-Bop


    Evans, Bill, Trio


    Waltz for Debby


    Hard Bop


    Griffin, Johnny


    A Blowin' Session


    Modal


    Hancock, Herbie


    Empyrean Isles


    Modal


    Hancock, Herbie


    Maiden Voyage


    Hard Bop


    Henderson, Joe


    Page One


    Hard Bop


    Hubbard, Freddie


    Ready for Freddie


    Post-Bop


    Hubbard, Freddie


    Breaking Point


    Hard Bop


    Hutcherson, Bobby


    Dialogue


    Bop


    Monk, Thelonious


    Brilliant Corners


    Bop


    Monk, Thelonious


    Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane


    Post-Bop


    Rivers, Sam


    East Broadway Rundown


    Bop


    Rollins, Sonny


    A Night at the Village Vanguard


    Bop


    Rollins, Sonny


    Saxophone Colossus


    Hard Bop


    Rollins, Sonny


    Way Out West


    Modal


    Shorter, Wayne


    Speak No Evil



  12. #12
    Meh. Brett A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North-Central MA
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Brett, thanks for that. I'm not huge jazz fan but I have a small collection and I like Bop, or perhaps more precisely taxonomically, Bob, Hard Bop, Modal, and Post-Bop
    Wow. Thanks for the table. I wasn't even aware of the sub-categories of bop. It will be a valuable piece of information as I continue to refine my tastes.
    all the best, brett
    Amp Shanling A3000-> speakers Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grand CD Rotel RCD 991 AE TT: Well Tempered Record Player-> AT OC9MLII -> Jolida JD9. cables from AQ, Siltech, Bogdan, Signal DH Labs, etc...
    Some pictures of it all

  13. #13
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    Alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett A
    Wow. Thanks for the table. I wasn't even aware of the sub-categories of bop. It will be a valuable piece of information as I continue to refine my tastes.
    all the best, brett
    Yeah, I am just going by AMG's jazz classification, not that I'm expert myself.

    I totally agree about Ah Um Mingus. I missed it because AMG classifies it as "Avant-Garde"

  14. #14
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Can I recommend some Hiphop? Ok, maybe not.

    Great rec'mendation above, especially Songs for my Father and Boss Tenor.

    I will like to add a few of my favorite:

    *Ray Bryant - Slow Freight
    *Ahmad Jamal on Argo label
    *Wynton Kelly - Kelly Great
    *Bobby Timmons - This Here is BT

    hey mista populah, clear some space in that pm box of ya

    back on topic:
    definately check out Kenny Burrell's 'blue lights' volume 1 and 2, and Donald Byrd - Royal Flush, and Slow Drag...

    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  15. #15
    Do What? jrhymeammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,275
    done.

  16. #16
    Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    X
    Posts
    2,286
    I'm not very good at my sub-genres...web crawling says 'hard-bop'

    Stanley Turrentine and the 3 Sounds: Blue Hour

    This is on of my faves, not mentioned above. It's blues-y and swings. Nothing too challenging really, so it's an easy listen. I have a particular weakness for Willow Weep for Me by just about anyone, but I like this one a lot (Apple Lossless Sample Linky). I have the complete, remastered sessions (linked above). S.T. has a fat, rich sound which is a nice counterpart to some of the great Sax players above.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •