View Poll Results: 70's ELO or McCartney?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • ELO / Jeff Lynne

    9 60.00%
  • Paul McCartney

    6 40.00%
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    PPG
    PPG is offline
    Forum Regular PPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    167

    ELO vs. Paul McCartney

    Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon...who's work do you admire most, 70's-era ELO/Jeff Lynne or McCartney.

    Here's a little memory jogger - 6 albums from each:

    ELO

    Eldorado
    Face The Music
    A New World Record
    Out of the Blue
    Discovery
    Time (1981)

    Paul McCartney

    McCartney
    Ram
    Wings/Wildlife
    Red Rose Speedway
    Band On The Run
    Venus and Mars

  2. #2
    Close 'n PlayŽ user Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Highway 6, between Tonopah and Ely
    Posts
    2,318

    Tough choice

    There are some really good and really BAAAAD albums in those 2 lists.

    You neglected to list a lot of really awful McCrapney albums and it's because of those that I picked ELO.

    "Eldorado" is an absolutely gorgeous album. One of the few Mo-Fi's I own (bought used on the cheap, natch)

  3. #3
    Forum Regular MindGoneHaywire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    1,125
    If you'd included the Move on the ELO side I might've had more difficulty with this vote.

    I don't like others.

  4. #4
    Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    below the noise floor
    Posts
    3,636
    ELO all the way!!!1!

    Sorry, I was channeling CRF there for a second.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

  5. #5
    dld
    dld is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    246
    Absolutely loved New World Record. One of my favorite 70's LPs. But Band On The Run ranked even higher, Mrs. Nasty and I's dating album. McCaw all the way! (Even with all the horrid dreck)
    Do I have to spell it out?

    C---H---E---E----S----E

    A--N--D

    O---N---I---O---N---S

    Oh No

  6. #6
    PPG
    PPG is offline
    Forum Regular PPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by dld
    Absolutely loved New World Record. One of my favorite 70's LPs. But Band On The Run ranked even higher... McCaw all the way! (Even with all the horrid dreck)
    I'd agree with that all the way, although I do love those ELO albums to death, and the first time me and my brother heard New World Record - to us, it was like a new Beatles album in '76. .

  7. #7
    Sgt. At Arms Worf101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Troy, New York
    Posts
    4,288

    I actually own two ELO albums from that era

    I have both "Face the Music" and "New World Record". I love them both. If you're considering both bands work from that era I have to go with ELO. I feel and felt that a bunch of McCartney's work from then was absolute friggin drivel. Some of that chite never would've seen the light of day or airplay if "Sir Paul's" name wasn't slathered all over it.


    No Contest.

    Da Worfster

  8. #8
    In perfect harmony DarrenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Wolverine Country
    Posts
    552
    Gotta go with ELO.

    Paul had more lemons than Jeff. Anyway......

    Eldorado is simply fantastic and if ya haven't heard the DCC version you should.

    Face The Music is a classic.

    A New World Record was my favorite album for quite awhile.

    Out of the Blue is when they started to lose it with me but it's still a decent record.

    Discovery had some catchy tunes and was actually not bad either.

    Time draws a blank.

    Zoom wasn't bad.

    Oh, if you don't have OLE ELO, it's rocks! Damn good early "best of".

    Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

  9. #9
    Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    below the noise floor
    Posts
    3,636
    Yeah, but the CD sucks -- it's got short versions of both "Kuiama" and "Roll Over Beethoven".
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

  10. #10
    dld
    dld is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    Gotta go with ELO.

    Paul had more lemons than Jeff. Anyway......

    Eldorado is simply fantastic and if ya haven't heard the DCC version you should.

    Face The Music is a classic.

    A New World Record was my favorite album for quite awhile.

    Out of the Blue is when they started to lose it with me but it's still a decent record.

    Discovery had some catchy tunes and was actually not bad either.

    Time draws a blank.

    Zoom wasn't bad.

    Oh, if you don't have OLE ELO, it's rocks! Damn good early "best of".

    Darren
    Hey Darren, we went to Luna de Noches tonight and had more of that great meskin food. Ummm. Bunch of tjhose dark Dos Equis beers. Ole ELO, had some good songs on it but it may be the worst recorded album I've ever heard. Sound quality wise, its the pits. For a good compilation, Best Of ELO is it. One other thing, you know those Van Morrison CDs you left with us, Links & Love Songs? Kathy plays them just about 24/7. Since I started getting comps four years ago, there have never been any that have gotten her undivided attn like these.
    I've never thanked you, So, THANKS!!!
    Do I have to spell it out?

    C---H---E---E----S----E

    A--N--D

    O---N---I---O---N---S

    Oh No

  11. #11
    In perfect harmony DarrenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Wolverine Country
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Yeah, but the CD sucks -- it's got short versions of both "Kuiama" and "Roll Over Beethoven".
    Dusty,

    The First Light Series remasters of ELO's I and II are quite good and the ones to own.

    Do you have these?

    Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

  12. #12
    In perfect harmony DarrenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Wolverine Country
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by dld
    Hey Darren, we went to Luna de Noches tonight and had more of that great meskin food. Ummm. Bunch of tjhose dark Dos Equis beers. Ole ELO, had some good songs on it but it may be the worst recorded album I've ever heard. Sound quality wise, its the pits. For a good compilation, Best Of ELO is it. One other thing, you know those Van Morrison CDs you left with us, Links & Love Songs? Kathy plays them just about 24/7. Since I started getting comps four years ago, there have never been any that have gotten her undivided attn like these.
    I've never thanked you, So, THANKS!!!
    Luna de Noches....yummmm. What a great restaurant. Fantastic meal. And I remember those dark Dos Equis. Very tastey. In fact, I remember having to drive back to Irving that night too.

    I can't take credit for those Van Morrison Cd's Dave. That wasn't me. I'm sure glad Kathy's enjoying them though. Everybody's got rock out sooner or later.

    Darren

    NP Stone Roses - Second Coming
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

  13. #13
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Time to break the tie, if only for a short while.

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  14. #14
    Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    below the noise floor
    Posts
    3,636
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    Dusty,

    The First Light Series remasters of ELO's I and II are quite good and the ones to own.

    Do you have these?

    Darren
    I have II, but it's the old version -- I didn't think it'd been remastered yet. Sound quality isn't that bad, though, certainly tolerable. AFAIK, the only ones that've been remastered are Eldorado, Time, and ...uh... Secret Messages? Going from memory...
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

  15. #15
    In perfect harmony DarrenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Wolverine Country
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    I have II, but it's the old version -- I didn't think it'd been remastered yet. Sound quality isn't that bad, though, certainly tolerable. AFAIK, the only ones that've been remastered are Eldorado, Time, and ...uh... Secret Messages? Going from memory...
    ELO 1 and 2 were released in the UK by EMI as limited editions for their respective 30th year anniversaries. ELO 1 in 2001 and ELO 2 in 2003.

    ELO 1 (which was retitled "No Answer" in the US) includes bonus tracks and unreleased material from the period including The First Light CD.

    ELO 2 does the same thing. Bonus tracks and unreleased material and includes The Lost Planet CD.

    Both limited editions are packaged in slip cases.

    I think you can still get ELO 2 but I do believe ELO 1 is oop and may be difficult to find.

    http://www.ftmusic.com has all the details.

    The First Light Series should continue this year with the release of "On The Third Day". At least I hope it does anyhow.

    Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

  16. #16
    Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    below the noise floor
    Posts
    3,636
    Sweet -- thanks for the information. That violin solo in "Kuiama" is stupendous.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. OTA HDTV in MPLS St. Paul
    By cjasov in forum Home Theater/Video
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 11:48 AM
  2. Anyone out there own a Sunfire Theater Grand Mk3?
    By Swish in forum Home Theater/Video
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 03:42 PM
  3. Idea for a Beatles-related group comp
    By MindGoneHaywire in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 01:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •