Thread: Dean Martin...

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Dean Martin...

...recently bought Dino-The Essential Dean Martin just for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjqxKF_du3M

...Can you say smooth and cool? Always loved the song and it alone is worth the $10 CD sale-price at Target...In fact the first five tracks are about a solid as you could get, particularly Sway which has a Frankie Laine Jezebel flavor mixed with a little Johnny Ray on-the-side...and most of the remaining 25 tracks ain't too bad either, some better than others but I chalk that up to some of the schmaltzy production...Personally, Gentle On My Mind is definitely a non-essential...

jimHJJ(...Classic Sinatra is waiting in the wings...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Hi Jim,

I am with you on Deano. My wife bought the same cd last year and I wasn't sure, but on repeated listening I thoroughly enjoy his crooning.
    Also got some great sounding original Sinatra vinyl.
    Oddly enough I can't stand Robbie Williams, but his "Swing when You're winning" vinyl release is one hell of a great recording and a joy to listen to.
    Have a good one.

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Yep he is a crooner.
    I have an old recording of him and the Rat Pack singing a bunch of songs.
    It is great.
    TV: LG 50PC3D plasma tv
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V659
    DVD: Philips DVP5960
    Speakers: front/Paradigm Monitor 3 v.4, surround/Paradigm Atoms v.4, center/Paradigm CC290 v.5, sub/Paradigm PDR-12
    Remote: Harmony 659

I'll always have a soft spot for Dino, because of the Martin/Lewis movies of course, but I was also lucky enough to have seen a lot of his TV show in its first run, and I remebered it could be outragiously funny, even though I didn't get two-thirds of the innuendo flying around. I've seen those CD comps and I've heard a few songs off of them, but I think I'd rather own one of the DVD collections of either his TV shows or his celebrity roasts.

The guy also was one of the great comedians, whose 'straight man' was woefully under-appreciated and underrated, as Jerry Lewis' marginally funny movies would attest.

Here's Dino showing the best of both worlds:

This one's a crooner - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMqv_...o%20Rat%20Pack

This is a skit were he Bob Newhart crash a nudist colony - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgsAS...elated&search=

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...recently bought Dino-The Essential Dean Martin just for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjqxKF_du3M

...Can you say smooth and cool? Always loved the song and it alone is worth the $10 CD sale-price at Target...In fact the first five tracks are about a solid as you could get, particularly Sway which has a Frankie Laine Jezebel flavor mixed with a little Johnny Ray on-the-side...and most of the remaining 25 tracks ain't too bad either, some better than others but I chalk that up to some of the schmaltzy production...Personally, Gentle On My Mind is definitely a non-essential...

jimHJJ(...Classic Sinatra is waiting in the wings...)
    Dino is the King of Cool! For my in-laws' 50th wedding anniversary party I put 2 cds worth of tunes together including many Martin and Sinatra cuts. It's the perfect music for a grand occasion celebrating life and amore'. Speaking of schmaltzy, check out Martin's Matt Helm movies, particularly The Silencers. It's a fun movie. I've watched the opening with Vikki Carr singing the title song over and over and over and over...very hot!

Oooooh, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlV9v...elated&search=

BTW, the best version of "Gentle on My Mind" is Glen Campbell's live version on the cd Legends of Country Music - The Best of Austin City Limits.
    Last edited by dean_martin; 09-18-2006 at 01:54 PM.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey all,

Cocktails with Cole Porter is a nice, little compl floating around out there with Deano and the usual suspects. Pretty decent sq, as well...

Attachment 2102

Cheers
    Last edited by bobsticks; 10-04-2006 at 05:59 AM.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular
    I put his "Memories are made of this" on the disc I had the DJ play at my wedding...

Thread Information