Talking The Darkness: Permission To Land (un-abashed fanboy review)

>I think the song I Believe In A Thing Called Love stayed in my head a couple of weeks after seeing the video on MTV2. I really thought it was a joke, a put-on if you will. But no, its a real band video. I heard a second song from the album Permission To Land (Growing On Me) and went out and found it at Best Buy.<

All I can say is, this is either genius or parody. Definately a guilty pleasure for a near 39 year old man (me), but its also a nostalgia trip for those who remember when hard rock wasn't so damn dreary. The music on this album struts, skulks, and prances shamelessly. The lead singer and lead guitarist (brother they are) must have dipped into dad's Thin Lizzy, Queen, and T-Rex collection. They capture the rapture that was the '70s rock without sounding like a clone band. Yes, they do sprinkle their songs with profanity, and the lead singer's jumping in and out of falsetto will turn people away, but the writing is great. The lyrics are playful, and the musicianship is superb (these guys have chops). Yes there are a couple of obligatory power ballads here, but they're the best I've heard in two decades (Aerosmith has nothin on Love Is Only A Feeling). In fact, if this band were the blueprint for most of the '80s rock bands, then heavy metal may have survived the doom and gloom '90s. These guys give AC/DC someone to which to pass the baton.

If you don't think the words 'fun' and 'hard rock' belong in the same sentence, then don't buy this album. Buy it, and people will wonder what you're smiling about at the stop light.

Forum Regular
    hmmmmmmmmmmmm, not sure if I want to buy it, but based on your description I am at least intrigued.

Can you burn me a copy and send it to me (same 'ole address).

thanks...pal

Les
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox

All I can say is, this is either genius or parody. .
    Methinks parody.

I thought this was quite novel when it came out. There are good riffs and on the whole the album rocks quite nicely. Unfortunately the falsetto vocals on the majority of tracks start to irritate with regular exposure and for me the 'joke' is wearing a bit thin.

A friend saw them live recently and said it was a real fun night out. Much as I have a sense of humour this CD has found itself winging it's way to the bottom of my playlist. Good for parties but not for extended listening IMHO
    Cheers

Les

I tend to agree. Time will tell I guess. As long as they don't get too full of themselves, and they remember what makes them interesting, they'll should do fine. I do hope they don't explode onto the mainstream. I hope they sell just enough to warrant a follow up, otherwise they'll go the way of the '80s hair bands. I remember when the music world said the Black Crows would save Rock-n-Roll, and they didn't. The Darkness is refreshing and nostalgic at the same time. Let's hope they stay that way.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    >
    All I can say is, this is either genius or parody. Definately a guilty pleasure for a near 39 year old man (me), but its also a nostalgia trip for those who remember when hard rock wasn't so damn dreary. The music on this album struts, skulks, and prances shamelessly.
    Back to the "Everything old is new again" mantra. I think Soft Cell has a tune by that name, yep, I believe they do and that it's appropriate on a lot of levels.

It's funny I have the same reaction to the Electric Six. With just a minor bit of tinkering and name changing your review could suit both.

Good to hear from you and I hope all's well.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Thread Information