Suspended

Couple new CD's on the way, any thoughts?

I ordered Blackfield II and the latest Stanley Clarke, Toys Of Men.

I really liked the Blackfield samples, reminded me of the acoustic and melodic side of Porcupine Tree. Looking forward to hearing it.

Clarke's samples show his new offering may have a variety of stuff on it from his signature Funkified bass attack to straight up Jazz and I even think there was a song with a female vocalist.

More to come if I think either of these are worthy of their own thread. Or, maybe I'll get lucky enough to get them, hear them and post before this thread disappears. Anyone have these albums already I'd be interested in hearing your impressions.

I almost bought an album by the Sateliters. They are called "Garage" but they just sounded like a really cool current band playing 60's Rock complete with the old organ. It was just tough making up my mind listening to short samples. One listen I was into it and another just so so. I really wasn't a big fan of that type of 60's sound but the songs were very catchy. Most of the stuff I like from the 60's like the Zombies, early Hollies and the like, I like certain songs but not whole albums. Maybe I should have dropped a couple bucks and tried some mp3's. It would have been a first.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I didn't like the first Blackfield CD so much. I thought that it was kind of boring.

Although it's been out for a week now, I'm looking forward to getting the new British Sea Power. I wanted to get it this weekend, but I could only get to Best Buy and, apparently, they aren't carrying it.

I've been looking forward to the new disk by The Trews which is released today. And the new REM due out on April 1.

I'm really not sure what else is due out this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I didn't like the first Blackfield CD so much. I thought that it was kind of boring.
    Second one is the same.

Suspended
    What type of music is Sea Power and Trews?

Suspended
    I've given a partial listen so far to Blackfield II and I don't think boring is the word I'd use. It's not a party album to be sure. It's more like a lazy Sunday afternoon or late night album. I think they purposefully create a darker more meloncolly sound for themselves. I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I've given a partial listen so far to Blackfield II and I don't think boring is the word I'd use. It's not a party album to be sure. It's more like a lazy Sunday afternoon or late night album. I think they purposefully create a darker more meloncolly sound for themselves. I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone.

It's definitely a mellow project. I like them both, but it's not road trip music to be sure. You have to be in the right mood, and if you're expecting PT-esque music, then you're going to be disappointed. I knew what to expect with this project so it was no surprise to me. It's adult pop, and there's nothing wrong with that, though it can be a tad dark.

What type of music is Sea Power and Trews?
    Sorry, I kept meaning to come back and answer this and kept forgetting to.

British Sea Power is what Bowie should have been in the 80's had he not gone all "Let's Dance". It's a little rock, a little punk, a little off the beaten path, and all good. Lot's of early Bowie influence to my ears which is the appeal to me.

One review that I read of The Trews newest CD, No Time For Later, described the band as Party Rock. I think that's a good description. They are a guitar heavy rock band, but you won't be able to keep your toes from tapping. I would say that if you like bands like Wolfmother then you'll like The Trews. All three of their disks are excellent. The newest one is a little rockier than their previous two which tend to lean a little more towards being pop disks without ever quite crossing that line.

The Trews are best experienced live. We've seen them live several times and they absolutely kick ass. Even when promoting their first CD, they were as comfortable on stage as bands with years of experience. I know that they're opening for Ace Frehley in Vegas next month (disappointingly it's the week after we'll be there on vacation)...I'm not sure whether they're actually touring with him.

I think you'll find that you'll listen to it a couple of times, then put it away to be forgotten. In a couple of months, you'll stumble across it and brighten, thinking- oh! I haven't heard this for a while. You'll put it in the player & listen to 2.65 tracks and take it back out and file under the 'Give to the Friends Of The Library' or 'Resell' stacks.

Blackfield's the Bud Lite of prog.

fp

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    ...you won't be able to keep your toes from tapping.
    You know, I've never actually seen anyone do this, have you? I've seen people's feet tapping, but not their toes.

Can you explain this?

fp

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    You know, I've never actually seen anyone do this, have you? I've seen people's feet tapping, but not their toes.

Can you explain this?

fp
    When the toes really get rocking the inertia of the tap will lift the rest of the foot.

The foot don't move unless the toes got their groove.

Suspended
    Did anyone read my post on Stanley Clarke's album, "The Master Raises The Bar"? I like MS and I thought it was a great album, maybe his best as a whole. The album title is The Toys of Men.

Thread Information