Tracklist:

1. Over the Hillside
    2. The Downtown Lights
    3. Let's Go Out Tonight
    4. Headlights on the Parade
    5. From a Late Night Train
    6. Seven A.M.
    7. Saturday Night

Led by charismatic vocalist and songwriter Paul Buchanan, THE BLUE NILE has only four albums released to date, despite their longtime career: A Walk Across the Rooftops (1983), Hats (1989), Peace at Last (1996) and High (2004). All them, though, are excellent releases IMO, being this Hats my personal favorite.

This is slow, introspective, mellow rock music at the best. Paul Buchanan's highly emotive, soulful voice, combined with lush arrangements of keyboards, bass, drums and sparse solos of trumpet, plunges you immediately into the mood and, as you can easily infer from the titles of the seven tracks from Hats, the mood of this album is nighttime city life, evoking themes such as melancholy, loneliness, disillusion and hope of love. It sounds like a cinematic urban soundtrack, evoking immediately in your mind romantic landscapes of crowded streets in the night, of empty bars, of lonely lovers, of trains passing by, of coloured neon lights shining all around.

As you may infer from the above description, this is sort of a perfect album to listen to when you want to be alone, maybe watching the city life outside in a raining night, by the window. Just turn your lights off and relax, this is great music to be immersed in.

When I first listened to Hats I was also amazed by the great technical quality of the recording itself. Looking at the technical information of the recording I just discovered why: this album was recorded at Linn Records, a part of Linn Products (a Glasgow-based industry of hi-fi audio & home theater equipments), which makes it recommended for the more exigent listeners as well.

Favorite tracks: "The Downtown Lights", "Headlights on the Parade" and "Let's Go Out Tonight".

Demetrio.

May as well try something completely different from what's been discussed so far:

Andrew Bird: Noble Beast (2009)

This guy has long been a favorite around here, though I didn't care for the albums he put out after the wonderfully quirky Swimming Hour (2001). This guy is a classically trained violinist who plays it in a folky-jazzy style, and is one of the more intelligent and agile lyricists working today. He's also a great vocalist who at times reminds me of David Byrne with his delivery and tone, but has a much broader range. The music is layered and rich without sounding too slick or over produced and can range from quiet and introspective to rollicking and quirky. Some of his stuff even reminds me of solo Adrian Belew musically speaking (Bird is a much better writer though). Armchair Apochrypha from 2007 is pretty good, but this year's Noble Beast is prolly my fave besides Swimming Hour.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I'll try an odd recommendation out for size.

The Tin Hat Trio: Memory is an Elephant (1999)

I pull this one out when I don't want Rock, don't want Classical, don't want Jazz, not sure what I want, but want it fun and interesting.

A guitar, violin, accordian trio... with some other instruments tossed in; I think I heard a toy piano. Several things come to mind when I listen. Klezmer, Tom Waits, and Indie Movie soundtracks, picnics, and Astor Piazzolla--although, it's really none of those. It's tow tapping, mysterious, joyful, playful, sometimes brooding, and I can't think of anything else quite similar. This is their debut, and I've never picked up any others by them. I should look into that. I think I picked this one up solely based on the album name. It made me laugh, and this album always makes me smile.

click here for a high-res mp3 of track #3 Big Top.
    (~10Mb, 320kbps vbr)

Forum Regular
    Exhumed from the back of the back of the rack to segue from the new Decemberist's release, this has aged much better than I'd have guessed [sniff!]:

I didn't change my mind. It changed all by itself.

Hey, folks, seems like some greaaat suggestions all over here!!!

Thanks
    Demetrio.

Arrow Fleet Foxes

And let me give you all my today's suggestion as well:

Group: FLEET FOXES
    Title: Fleet Foxes
    Year: 2008
    Genre: Folk/Indie Rock

Tracklist:

1. Sun It Rises
    2. White Winter Hymnal
    3. Ragged Wood
    4. Tiger Mountain Peasant Song
    5. Quiet Houses
    6. He Doesn't Know Why
    7. Heard Them Stirring
    8. Your Protector
    9. Meadowlarks
    10. Blue Ridge Mountains
    11. Oliver James

This is the self-titled debut full-length album from the Seattle-based quintet FLEET FOXES, released in 2008, after the edition of two EP’s – "Fleet Foxes" in 2006 and "Sun Giant" in early 2008.

I find it hard to categorize this stuff (Indie or folk rock?). The group describe their owm music as "baroque harmonic pop jams", which doesn’t explain that much to me. What I can say is that the music sounds very fresh to me, featuring that sort of amazing ethereal sound I enjoy so much, with a strong folksy atmosphere, a nice pastoral feel and pristine, breezy vocal harmonies, all that combined with rich, lush arrangements.

The vocal timbre of the main vocalist Robin Pecknold reminds Wayne Coyne of Flaming Lips and Sufjan Stevens a lot, but the vocals here are shared almost all the time with other members of the band, in gorgeous vocal harmonies throughout, making this album to sound more in the vein of Pet Sounds (The Beach Boys).

Favorite tracks: "He Doesn't Know Why" and "Your Protector".

Demetrio.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Demetrio
    And let me give you all my today's suggestion as well:

Group: FLEET FOXES
    Title: Fleet Foxes
    Year: 2008
    Genre: Folk/Indie Rock
    Nice choice. I love this album!

Fleet Foxes - Just picked it up two days ago

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Nice choice. I love this album!
    In fact, it's spinning right now! Nice lush pop music. Very simple melodies, mostly accoustic sound, but catchy and breezy. Not much in terms of minor chords here.

Great summer backyard deck music.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    In fact, it's spinning right now! Nice lush pop music. Very simple melodies, mostly accoustic sound, but catchy and breezy. Not much in terms of minor chords here.

Great summer backyard deck music.
    I have to be honest and say that I'm a little surprised that you like this. Maybe you're cooler than I gave you credit for. Okay, so if you like this I'll have to play some Augie March for you. Same kind of feel IMO.

Have you listened to the Muse disks yet?

Ya know FA, I have one Muse disc, Black Holes & Revelations, but I've wondered what the rest of their catalog sounds like.

And as far as that Fleet Foxes disc goes, I'd sayI liked it, but I like the live stuff I've seen on YouTube much better (far less reverb).

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Ya know FA, I have one Muse disc, Black Holes & Revelations, but I've wondered what the rest of their catalog sounds like.
    Hi, 3LB,

I have "Black Holes & Revelations" too, and also like it a lot. Encouraged by that sort of nice "prog feel" throughout this album, I then ordered another Muse cd, "Absolution", in the expectation that it would sound alike. Must say I was somewhat disappointed with Absolution though. I didn't find in this album anything that could remind me that awesome prog feel of Black Holes & Revelations.

Demetrio.

Yeah, Black Holes & Revelations seems to be the one disc that everybody steers anyone to with regards to Muse. I have read over at PE that there should be a new album by the end of the year.

Hi, 3LB,

I have "Black Holes & Revelations" too, and also like it a lot. Encouraged by that sort of nice "prog feel" throughout this album, I then ordered another Muse cd, "Absolution", in the expectation that it would sound alike. Must say I was somewhat disappointed with Absolution though. I didn't find in this album anything that could remind me that awesome prog feel of Black Holes & Revelations.

Demetrio.
    Absolution was my first Muse disk and I really dig it. But I agree that Black Holes is a better disk. Showbiz is also quite good but more like Absolution, so if you don't like that one then don't waste your time on Showbiz. I didn't like their live disk much at all. Great track list but ****ty and inconsistant sound quality.

Exclamation Singularity

Hey, proggers, my today's suggestion:

Group: SINGULARITY
    Title: Of All the Mysteries
    Year: 2007
    Genre: Progressive Rock

Musicians:

John Green – Vocals, keyboards
    Jamie McGregor – Drums, vocals
    Scott Cleland – Electric & acoustic guitars, cello, vocals
    Jonathan Patch – Bass, acoustic guitar, flute, vocals

Tracklist:

1. Mongrel – 3:12
    2. Smile – 14:50
    3. XOT – 6:48
    4. Patchquilt – 3:55
    5. Kaleidoscope – 3:22
    6. Islands – 20:27

Of All the Mysteries, released in 2007, is the third release from Colorado's progressive band SINGULARITY – the other two previous were Color of Space, in 1999 (which is said to be very Rush influenced), and Between Sunlight and Shadow, in 2002 (that is said to remind Porcupine Tree a lot).

In this recording, though, the echoes of Rush and Porcupine Tree are much less evident (one would even say almost nonexistent). Instead, in Of All the Mysteries what we hear is a very nice mix of symphonic prog influences reminiscent of other contemporary prog bands such as Anglagard, Anekdoten, Phideaux and Spock's Beard (and yes, some sparse reminiscences of Porcupine Tree too). The absolute highlight in the album is "Islands" (track 6), a wonderful, 20-minute suite with even some Camel atmosphere and Latimer-inspired guitar work.

All in all, one of the best progressive albums I have listened to lately, definitely worth recommending to everybody else who is also into prog.

The audio quality of this recording is also top-notch, definitely one of the best sounding albums in the genre I know.

Samples available at these links:

http://www.myspace.com/singularityprogrock

http://cdbaby.com/cd/singularitymusic2

Demetrio.
    Last edited by Demetrio; 04-03-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Really. I have the first Singularity disc, Color Of Space- very Rush-like; they even quote titles of Rush tunes in a couple of songs. Very well done though. The second disc though was a disappointment to me. The lead singer from the first album left the band and they didn't have a viable replacement. Between Sunlight And Shadow, the second album, had its moments, but without decent vocals, and decent writing I'm afraid, this album sounded very ameturish, something I term, college prog.

But I have to admit, I am intrigued that they persist. I will agree with you on one account, these discs are superbly produced for what they are, and the sound quality is stellar.

One of my favorite groups of all time: Renaissance. Renaissance is one of those rare groups that never seemed to "get it right for the radio". It is rare that even one of this ensemble's most beautiful and compelling songs make it to the airwaves. College stations and the like might take the risk, but tracks of some length were not, and still aren't, the sort of things most folks like. For fans of prog and music of deft and sure craft, Renaissance was a band apart. Amazing, virtuoso instrumentation and a female lead vocalist, Annie Haslam, with a voice that rivalled many a opera diva, Renaissance was surely one of the best.

This is the album, Prologue, which features many hits that remain favorites of Renaisance fans everywhere. With songs like Share Some Love and Ashes are Burning, this album shows that all that is on the radio is not the best that's out there....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Arrow Bozzio Levin Stevens

Group: BOZZIO LEVIN STEVENS
    Title: Black Light Syndrome
    Year: 1997
    Genre: Progressive Rock / Fusion

Tracklist:

1. The Sun Road — 14:37
    2. Dark Corners — 8:31
    3. Duende — 7:25
    4. Black Light Syndrome — 8:45
    5. Falling in Circles — 9:07
    6. Book of Hours — 9:38
    7. Chaos/Control — 8:49

This is a project/supergroup joined by three of the most distinguished and skilled musicians from Magna Carta label: drummer/percussionist Terry Bozzio, bassist/stick player Tony Levin (very known for his extraordinary work with King Crimson, Peter Gabriel, Liquid Tension Experiment, etc.) and guitarist Steve Stevens. They released only two albums to date: Black Light Syndrome, in 1997, and Situation Dangerous, in 2000.

The music is instrumental rock-fusion with huge time changes, incredible variations and nice progressive elements throughout, ranging from furious, heavy passages at some moments to jazzy and slower passages at others, even featuring some classical and flamenco echoes throughout the album too (provided by incredible guitarist Steve Stevens).

These guys are true virtuoses in their respective instruments and the magic between them is absolutely incredible in this recording, allowing them to deliver here some of the best instrumental music pieces you will ever find in any genre.

"Black Light Syndrome" is not only one of the best instrumental progressive albums ever released IMO, it is also definitely one of the best sounding recordings you'll ever hear in the genre, featuring crystal clear details, excellent stereo image and huge dynamics throughout. Listen, for example, to "Duende" (track 3) through a good, hi-fi stereo system, and you will be amazingly surprised at how detailed the music will sound in front of you.

Demetrio.
    Last edited by Demetrio; 04-08-2009 at 08:40 AM.

Probably the best recording and performance of Terry Bozzio, one of the best rock drummers on the planet. Wanna hear what all the fuss is about with TB? This album is a true drum clinic.

The other thing worth noting is that this whole performance was improvised in the studio. Amazing!

Great album, 5 stars.

Milk Kan

I guess these guys are being called anti-folk, whatever that means. Sounds pretty folky to me. Catchy, mostly acoustic numbers. Touches of country and an occasional ska rhythm, folky and at times rockin'. I'm enjoying this quite a bit. One of the more instantly likable things I've heard so far this year.

This a group I come across on a MySpace crawl last year. Turns out, its my favorite prog album from last year (though admittedly, last year was a poor year for prog).

Here's their MySpace page:

http://www.myspace.com/kingfishersky

Here's a review I posted over at PE:

Kingfisher Sky: Hallway Of Dreams is the debut of yet another beauty and the beast style goth/prog rock band. I first came across this band during a MySpace crawl, and pretty much clicked on it because their picture. And it wasn’t more than a month later I got the opportunity to review this album. Lucky me. This is one of the stronger debuts of any band or any genre I’ve heard in a long while.

I use the term ‘beauty and the beast’ because I think it aptly describes this latest wave of goth rock bands that feature lead female vocals in front of a metal band. Of course, female leads are not a new concept in the world of rock, not even the world of progressive rock. But these B&B bands don’t just feature just any competent female lead, but usually a female of impeccable vocal prowess, sometimes even operatic background. Kind of like a Wagnerian fantasy or something. I won’t rattle off a list of B&B bands in this review, assuming people interested will already know a few. But to be fair, most people new to Kingfisher Sky might find it noteworthy that one of the founding members, Ivar de Graaf, is a former member of Within Temptation (one of those B&B bands), and the similarity is obvious.

As I alluded to before, there seems to have been a recent glut of female-led metal acts, usually of the symphonic metal or goth varieties. But where a lot of B&B bands feature the juxtaposition of operatic vocals and blistering metal, Kingfisher Sky takes a more subtle approach. Their approach to metal is more akin to mythic progressive metal and not so much a typical goth or metal band. The production is very similar to that of Steven Wilson, who produced not only Porcupine Tree, but also Opeth’s Damnation album. It’s a mix of ethereal and heavier passages, without being over the top in either direction. Attention to detail is prevalent as well, with nods to Scandinavian folk and more modern, female-led rock fare, perhaps a touch of Tori Amos or Kate Bush, but the style mostly conjures comparisons to other bands of fantasy based material, such as Renaissance with Annie Haslam, albeit with metal leanings.

And they have the good sense to focus on the female singer in this case, where other bands seems to have the female lead singing in full operatic throttle to keep up with the metal onslaught. Fans of more bombastic approaches (Nightwish comes to mind) might find this album to be a tad light, but I find it very refreshing. Besides, it would be a shame not to feature a stunning vocal talent like Judith Rijnveld, whose pristine voice sounds like she has had extensive vocal training, but eschews the vocal acrobatics that some of her contemporaries indulge in at times. Songs like “Balance of Power” and “November” showcase this balancing act of pastoral, organic passages with more dramatic, metallic ones. She can belt a tune with the best of them, but the tell tale evidence of her ability comes through on the albums more sedate material, like the folksy “Big Fish”, which sounds like a song that could come from a Fairport Convention album. Here, Judith recalls the likes of Sandy Denny or Judy Collins.

The writing and performances is top notch as well. As a fan of progressive rock, I appreciate the style and approach of “Hallway of Dreams”, more so than the forced heaviness of say, Nightwish or the overt pop of Evanescence. I hope they stay the course with their next outing, which I hope is emanate, and given the reception that this CD has been given by others who have heard it, I have no doubt there will be a follow-up. Of course, given the quality of this debut, that will be a tall order. I recommend this album to anyone who likes this beauty and the beast style hard rock, or just fans of good melodic metal in general.

While I like to think that my taste in music is fairly eclectic (oh, not that word again!), there are a few composers and musicians who just tickle me to the core. Among them is a group I have mentioned in many, previous posts: Tangerine Dream. For those of you who have no familiarity with the group, the CD presented here is perhaps one of my favorites. It is the soundtrack to the Michael Mann film, Thief, which starred James Caan as a high-tech and highly-intelligent professional yegg. He has a crack team and a beautiful girlfriend, and the heists they pull are spectacular. With sparks flying everywhere and a buzzing but soaring score by TD, this soundtrack is not only cerebrally, but viscerally very engaging.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Forum Regular

Wink I think I'm cheating because this is a 2 CD album lol

Hi there folks. Nice selection of CDs.

I was going through my collection and simply chilled back on my couch whilst flicking
    through the tracks of this one. I'm most certain this one would serve as a fresh option for
    you to try.

Buddha-Bar IV

Track listing

Buddha-Bar IV CD DISC 1:

1. La Fille de Pekin - (with Frederick Rousseau)
    2. Tibet (A Passage to...) - (with Tibet Project)
    3. Opium - (with Jade Or)
    4. Moonrise - (with Nitin Sawhney)
    5. Window of My Dreams, A - (with Nash Didan)
    6. Amatevi - (with Agricantus)
    7. Tiempo - (with Manuel Franjo)
    8. Historia de un Amor - (with Guadalupe Pineda Con Los Tres Ases)
    9. Distant Lands - (with Armen Chakmakian)
    10. Desert Dancer - (Zeb's Slow Camel Ride remix, with Nickodemus)
    11. Monsoon - (with FLAM)
    12. Rahda Ramana - (with Tulku)
    13. Tora to Thimithikes - (with Natassa Theodoridou)
    14. Una Musica Brutal - (with GoTan Project)

Buddha-Bar IV Songs DISC 2:

1. Karma - (Extended mix, with Outsized)
    2. Party People - (with Time Passing)
    3. Mundian to Bach Ke - (with Panjabi MC)
    4. Comme Toi - (with Ishtar)
    5. Dancing With the Muse - (with Chris Spheeris)
    6. Irish Coffee - (with Carlos Campos)
    7. Novel Sound, The - (with Llorca)
    8. Loco - (with Loving Paris)
    9. Percussion's Rhythm - (Dimitri From Paris Re-Edit, with Roland Louis)
    10. Louxor in Vegas - (with Dan Lacksman's Alliance)
    11. Agoraki Mou - (with Angie Samiou)
    12. Aktar Wahed - (with Amr Diab)
    13. Yo Vivire - (with Celia Cruz) :: I Will Survive - (with Celia Cruz)
    14. Nocturne in Paris - (with Usual Masters)

Ok on the first CD the first two tracks can simply take you to a place of tranquility and
    serenity. I'd highly recommend lie on a couch at night, away from distractions, set
    yourself about 10 mins or so to breathe in these two tracks. I'd listen to the tracks
    a couple of times at least, so you can anticipate the next part, and the next time listen
    to the background instruments instead of the leading. If your system is as excellent
    as you feel it is, the many instrumental melodies contained in these tracks should reach
    out and grab you.

Stay away from any light in the room, close your eyes and listen. I'd recommend
    go to one of the CD shopping sites to listen to the small samples of these tracks they
    usually include, and find out if you can tolerate this type of music. If you cannot stand
    anything less than 160 BPM, or must be vocal, heavy-metal, or hard rock only, then
    this CD is definately not for you.

It's more of an international CD, as this series normally is. IMHO the series has evolved
    over the years, and the mixer you'll notice will change every 1 to 2 CDs, it's up to 10 now.
    I don't like the 10th of the series, I won't buy it. However I have at least half of them and
    this one is one of my very favourites.

You will notice that most of this series contains some tracks that you won't find on any
    other CD. I like these kind of compilations.

This series has a mixture of tracks to cater for various cultures and nationalities, but
    brings them all together (as many compilations do).

The tracks are recorded/mixed well.

The 4th track on the first CD is performed by Nitin Sawhney, if you're unfamiliar with
    him, he's a Indian-British musician, producer and composer who's composed over 40
    albums. He is more recognised by the British and Asian cultures. This track cannot be
    missed, you should give this one a try too. This is one of such tracks which evolves as
    you get further into it. It's quite uplifting.

CD 1 is labelled as - Dinner CD 2 is Drink. Hmmm it feels like that way.

I could go on about other tracks, but I won't, the rest should a journey you should take
    on your own, and you may develop different favourites to mine.

If you're stuck to a few specific genres in your collection, seriously give this CD a go
    as many non traditional "rock/top 40" artists instruments/tunes. The tracks blend the
    melodies and instruments together well. I will be honest, I don't listen to all of these tracks
    regularly, but the ones that I do, I play and again often.
    Current System :

Xindak XA8800MNE Mono Block Power Amplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840E Pre Amplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD Player and DAC
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MK-II
    Pioneer DVR-640H (250 GB HDD)
    Foxtel Digital
    Samsung LCD 40in LA40M81BDX
    Sony PS 3 (source - CD/SACD/DVD/Blu-Ray)
    XLO Interconnects & speaker cables
    Sonos Wireless Music System

Upgrade Path :

1. Power regulation system

Forum Regular

Talking I think I am cheating again - recommend 2 albums for "CD suggestion of the day" ? :P

Hello, sorry my bad if I am burning the candle at both ends by recommending two
    albums on the same day.

I cannot believe no one has previously recommended this one...

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
    20th Anniversary Edition

Most of you who are from generation-X or are baby-boomers, you would be familiar with
    this album or you would of lived in a cave.

For those who are generation-Y, a bit of a heads up, Mark Knopfler is simply one of the
    most inspirational artists back then, today, and for many years to come. He is mostly
    well known in the band Dire Straits, but he has gone solo 20 or so years later. The guitar
    performance by him has set a standard for aspiring performers. If you don't believe this
    is the case, go and have a listen to the Dire Straits albums, mainly this one. You will
    also find that most of the albums out there which list "Best guitar tracks of all time"
    include Dire Straits track - Sultans of Swing. This album hit number 1 in the charts in
    no less than 10 countries. Check the album's success and accolades if you like, this
    album also obtained 5x, 9x, 10x platinum in multiple countries.

Anyway enough of the history lesson... onto why this should be in your collection...

Mark Knopfler remixed this album into 5.1 Surround sound himself, and after comparing
    all three layers on my PS3, the SACD layer recordings are on a much higher level.
    Is SACD worth it ? so very much so, you simply have no concept of understanding
    what you're missing out on, this album has been redone extremelly well. If you are
    unable to experience the SACD layer of this album, find friend who has a SACD player,
    and listen.

Most of these tracks start off captivating you Strait away. Walk of Life is one of the most
    well known tracks for this album, if you want to test out how spectacular your setup really
    is, crank this one up, listen to the first 30 seconds carefully, breathe in the music
    as if you're breathing a new wine through your nose before you taste it for the first time.

Money for Nothing is another well known track of this album, the drums and guitar can
    really grab you, especially if you close your eyes and really turn up the volume. Notice
    the Sting sings the lyrics (I want my MTV), and 1:12 into the track the drums alternate
    from left to right, back, forth

oooo I simply have to listen to the SACD multichannel
    version - alas I have only 2 speakers oh BTW, I can guarantee that the drums
    1:12 into the track will utilise your 5.1 setup on the SACD multichannel layer. I'm playing
    this track on my headphones now, and I know which parts come through the main
    fronts (some of the drum bit), but the guitar following it comes through the fronts.

WOW !! I simply cannot believe how many other instruments alternate, fade from left to
    right and back again on the SACD multichannel layer, well one disc to take to your
    local surround sound hifi store for sure.

This is one of the tracks which has over a three minute finish/fade at the end, which is

Now the titled track - Brothers in Arms, it starts from your left speaker, fades by into the
    right, and you hear the sound of thunder. If you really crank up the volume, the thunder
    sounds sensationally real. My mum rushed from the living room then on her way out to the
    back she shouted, "oh no I better take in the washing" to top it off it was in
    the middle of summer

I would gladly listen to the 5th track - Why Worry again, again etc... especially from
    4:15 into the track onto the end. However I would recommend listening it from the start
    if you have not heard this track before. If you have heard this track before and you like it,
    you can heighten the listening experience by listening to this at night, with the lights
    off from 4:15 onwards, particularly if you need a track in unwind to. For some reason
    I tend to enjoy listening to this track slightly more during a warm summers evening.

If you don't have the 20th Anniversary Edition, and you're a Dire Straits fan, you really
    want to get this trust me. If you have a SACD player (PS3 will do for me for now), and
    a multichannel setup, you will feel you've gone Strait to heaven and are sitting on cloud-9,
    which coincidently happens to be the number of tracks on this album.
    Current System :

Xindak XA8800MNE Mono Block Power Amplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840E Pre Amplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD Player and DAC
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MK-II
    Pioneer DVR-640H (250 GB HDD)
    Foxtel Digital
    Samsung LCD 40in LA40M81BDX
    Sony PS 3 (source - CD/SACD/DVD/Blu-Ray)
    XLO Interconnects & speaker cables
    Sonos Wireless Music System

Upgrade Path :

1. Power regulation system

Forum Regular

Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsodies

I have lately been enjoying the 6 Hungarian Rhapsodies by Liszt that were orchestrated by Franz Doppler, with Arthur F-a-gen (the program won't let me give the name properly!) conducting the Weimar Staatskapelle on Naxos 8.570230. Both the performances and the sound are excellent.

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item...._code=8.570230
    Last edited by Pat D; 04-22-2009 at 10:42 AM.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Ozzie: Like you I am a Knopfler fan. His work on Dire Straits was deft and subtle, not a mean thing to consider, especially when one notes the preponderance of guitarrists who are admired more for their incessant noodling. His solo work is quite good, too. His recent Sailing to Philadelphia is very enjoyable and nicely recorded....

I like Brothers in Arms alot, and think it is a great Dire Straits album, for sure. I bought it when it came out, and at first I wasn't so sure. Having cut my teeth on the debut, Making Movies and Communique, I thought the sound of the album was too refined. Glad I hung on to it.

Curious thing. When I bought the album, I bought a version that looks as though someone had painted a turquoise dobro onto the disc. This version is a bit rarer than the usual version of the disc--I think!--which has no such markings. The recording is very fine, and while not up to SACD specs, performs well enough to qualify as a real keeper.

So, the question I'd like to ask everyone is: Is there a difference between these two versions? I have not bought the standard issue to compare......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information