Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Booberry Bloat

Booberry Bloat

Call me a Luddite, or whatever- I listened to the first three cuts (which seemed to go on forever) of Blueberry Boat (the next big thing) and pulled it. Dreadful, self-absorbed nonsense underlayed by silly synths. I guess I am a one-twang pony afterall. That is BAD music.

----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Okay, you're a luddite

This ain't the kinda thing that'll you get right away. This takes several spins to fully absorb. You may never appreciate it and that's fine but at least you will regret calling it bad music

NP: Rogue Wave - Out Of The Shadow
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

That's pretty much what I though, especially during the first play. My immediate impression, and it was so strong that it still remains fresh in my mind is "what side show circus tent was this band found under?" I mean, like a most of us I already get odd looks from my friends when it comes to music anyway. I can't even begin to imagine what they'd say if they heard this. Trust me, I'll never find out. Still, I played it through a couple of more times and my reaction tempered a bit more each time. I'm not saying it's ever going to make my top 10, or top 20 but I suppose if I give it enough time that it just might fit in there somewhere in the top half of my pool, maybe higher but who knows. In the meantime I've got some adjusting to do with this new Futureheads CD. You'd think that angular new wavy sounds would instantly appeal and in some ways it does. Still there's a herky-jerky XTC quality that runs throughout that seems to have the opposite effect so far.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Such Strong Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Call me a Luddite, or whatever- I listened to the first three cuts (which seemed to go on forever) of Blueberry Boat (the next big thing) and pulled it. Dreadful, self-absorbed nonsense underlayed by silly synths. I guess I am a one-twang pony afterall. That is BAD music.

I've learned from Mindgonehaywire that there is no such thing as Bad music. It's only your opinion, which apparently doesn't count for anything because everyone has their own opinion, and opinions have no basis in reality. Besides, when you criticize something that someone else likes, you might hurt their feelings, which is, according to MGH, a bad thing to do. Apparently, if you read Hit Men, an expose on corruption and mob infiltration into music companies and radio stations (not to mention the mob ties to The Rolling Stones and all those other bands and Americans who smoked reefer in the 1970s), you will be set straight.

(Sorry MGH, I'm just having fun. LOL. You too are entitled to your own opinion and satirical representation or misrepresentation of my viewpoint.)
    "A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission" - Rush

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    It's silly music, you have to be in a certain frame of mind to appreciate it. Almost a Frank Zappa sort of thing going on.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Still my album of the year. Loved it from the first listen and love it even more now. Can't understand a reaction like yours, but you certainly aren't alone with it

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/dbi...Blueberry_Boat

Zappa, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    It's silly music, you have to be in a certain frame of mind to appreciate it. Almost a Frank Zappa sort of thing going on.

The Zappa reference has me interested. I'll have to look into this one. Plus, it has synthesizers? Bonus!

How bad does it seem?
    It makes you wanna scream?
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Me and Barry, what a couple of weirdos.

I think I need to hear it too. XTC AND Zappa? What do you expect?

Someone bake me a blooberry pie?

Hands Down Winner. No Contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy

You're weirder than me. I've seen you without the fish-eye lens, and there's very little difference!

To quote Troy: "You NUT!"

Aw, Barry, you and J should just hug each other and make up.

PS: There is indeed such a thing as BAD music- I listened to some last nite.

O, forgot to add- IMO.

You'll absolutely HATE it.. but I'd be happy to pass along some pie!

you haven't moved in a while have you?

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Aw, Barry, you and J should just hug each other in make-up.

O, forgot to add- IMO.
    HUG EACH OTHER IN MAKE-UP?!

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    You'll absolutely HATE it.. but I'd be happy to pass along some pie!

you haven't moved in a while have you?

-jar
    Still on Lyons, yeah.

THANKS! Can't wait to be called a Luddite too!

HEY! Who let my ex-wife in here? She's the only one I know who always twisted my words around.....

If Only I Had Known...

Aw, Barry, you and J should just hug each other and make up.

O, forgot to add- IMO.

Aww, the jokes on me! MindGoneHaywire is my old pal J? If only I had known. The Manhattan address should have given it away. People shouldn't be allowed to change their moniker. I knew I was in trouble when he said he still had my address.

You're right. I can be civil. J, I apologize for getting stupid about politics on a music board that has been able to remain civil for at least seven or eight years. Really, I didn't know it was you. There's no reason for old tradin' buddies to be disputin about religion and politics. It's a case of mistaken identity.

Was it you who thought I'd be "fun" to party with because of my twisted political opinions?

Thanks for smackin' me straight, Tentoze. Now, who did you used to be? And do I owe you any outstanding comps?

If You don't Like It...

Still on Lyons, yeah.

THANKS! Can't wait to be called a Luddite too!
    ...then send it my way. If you do like it, then send it my way.

Any opinions on the new Canon EOS 20D 8.2 megapixels? No comprende digital?

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    Any opinions on the new Canon EOS 20D 8.2 megapixels? No comprende digital?
    I'm waiting til I can buy a used 10D off ebay for $50. I'd have to buy AF lenses for it too, dammit!

No one (except a pro shooter doing high-end large-scale reproduction) needs 8.2MP, just like no one needs 400HP station wagons.

Canon does make the best sensor in digital cameras for night and low light shooting. They seem to have the least noise. Most of the night shooters that I know that use digital use the 10D. Their work looks incredibly smooth.

I'll look into the 10D

I'm waiting til I can buy a used 10D off ebay for $50. I'd have to buy AF lenses for it too, dammit!

Oh great. Now we'll get into an eBay bidding war against each other and I'll win for $60.00. LOL.

No one (except a pro shooter doing high-end large-scale reproduction) needs 8.2MP, just like no one needs 400HP station wagons.
    ...and amateur paparazzi. (And no, by that, I don't mean me.)

Secondly, what about the Dodge Magnum (link)? I need one of those.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    What about the Dodge Magnum (link)? I need one of those.
    Sorry, I was inaccurate with my figures, a 430 HP station wagon. Why do you need that? Is your penis that small? Just read a road test in R&T magazine. Said the Magnun got 12mpg in real world (ie: leadfoot) driving. Ridiculous. I'd rather have a 125 HP hybrid and get 50mpg. Oh wait, the auto industry insists that "The public doesn't want it". Ridiculous again. It's the oil industry that doesn't want it.

I'd rather have a 125 HP hybrid and get 50mpg. Oh wait, the auto industry insists that "The public doesn't want it". Ridiculous again. It's the oil industry that doesn't want it.
    Hehehe, and they say this when the Toyota Prius has many people sitting on waiting lists for over a year! Oh well, sooner or later.........

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Hehehe, and they say this when the Toyota Prius has many people sitting on waiting lists for over a year! Oh well, sooner or later.........
    Yeah, keep in mind that this is the US auto industry we're talking about.

Dig: http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content-...XZ5OVDZQD.html

Also keep in mind that the Prius is a relatively limited run vehicle. They just aren't making that many of them. Too bad it's so damn dorky/dowdy looking.

Sorry, I was inaccurate with my figures, a 430 HP station wagon. Why do you need that? Is your penis that small? Just read a road test in R&T magazine. Said the Magnun got 12mpg in real world (ie: leadfoot) driving. Ridiculous. I'd rather have a 125 HP hybrid and get 50mpg. Oh wait, the auto industry insists that "The public doesn't want it". Ridiculous again. It's the oil industry that doesn't want it.
    Actually, a station wagon is so uncool, that no matter how much one tries to coolify it, it's still a station wagon. So it won't make up for any matter of penis deficiency or trying to increase my completely lacking sex appeal.

Besides, that's not what I'm trying to do. I read that it was fun to drive. And no, technically, I don't need it.

But you gotta admit, it has a market. That was my point.

Oh, and for the record, I recently bought a new car, and it was closer to the Prius than it was to the Magnum. I don't think hybrid technology is sufficiently "settled down" for me to trust them, although I could have, but my concerns were (a) insufficiently superior gas mileage performance -- the real-world numbers I saw were really not that much better than, for example, a Scion xA; and (b) fear of lack of sufficient (and sufficiently) knowledgeable mechanics.
    Last edited by Dusty Chalk; 10-28-2004 at 07:39 PM.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Thumbs down

Yeah, I don't dig this either. A boat-load of nonsense, really. Annoyingly precious vocals; songs and lyrics that seem to ramble on forever without any real point; hamfisted transitions; obnoxious, blaring synths; and a very twee, over-the-top, Andrew Lloyd-Webber thing going on. It seriously sounds like a bad Broadway musical at times. Just awful.

(Warning: Rant) And Pitchfork, along with so many others, seem to think The Fiery Furnaces are some sort of Second Coming. Nevermind that The Mars Volta made a equally ambitious and far, far better concept album last year and that got dismissed as "pretentious," while Blueberry Boat is equally "pretentious" (or more so) and everybody's creaming their pants over it. Guess what's pretentious one year is the Next Big Thing the next, given that everybody's coming out with concept albums now.

I don't care what any wanker music critic says--comparing this fruity dribble to anything The Who ever recorded is complete sacrilege. If anything, American Idiot is a far more accurate fit, and I don't understand the big hullabaloo over that album either (sorry ForeverAutumn and Jay, but when I think "Green Day" I think the first three albums, not a modern-day Kinks clone).

All completely IMHO, of course (though that should go without saying). ; )

And BTW I'm with Dusty, the Dodge Magnum ownz. I'm big on that sort of gonzo transportation, and a 400 BHP Hemi-powered rear-drive station wagon is just what the doctor ordered. Imagine the kind of fun you could have in stoplight drags with that thing (total sleeper quality). Of course, right now I've got a '98 Protege; as a poor college student paying out the arse in insurance (despite having no tickets/incidents on my record), probably the best set of wheels for the time being.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information