Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Blackhawks in 5? Kiss my arse.

Fatso was pretty much a non-factor tonight, save a few hits that didn't do squat, and Auntie M wasn't all that sharp either. A Flyers win would have been nice, but the pundits who think they will be done in 5 can kiss my fat a**.

Yes, I'm basically drunk and ticked off. Whatever.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Looked to me that neither team deserved to win that poor sloppy excuse for a playoff game last night. Let's hope both teams tie their skates a little tighter next game.

(Hawks in 6)
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

It certainly was sloppy. So many defensive miscues...

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Looked to me that neither team deserved to win that poor sloppy excuse for a playoff game last night. Let's hope both teams tie their skates a little tighter next game.

(Hawks in 6)
    ...that you can't blame the goalies for some of those scores. I do believe the Flyers out-played and out hustled the Blackhawks, but that's the only thing that mattered in the end was the score.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    The last 25 minutes, and especially the 3rd period were pretty 1 sided and more along what I think most pundits expected. It was a sloppy game by both teams, not all that uncommon considering both haven't played in about a week, aren't familiar with each other, and both teams have a lot of young star players likely a bit over excited for the Finals. Game 2 should be better. Doubt Leighton or Niemi let in 5 per game again the rest of the way...though with Leighton letting in something like 8 goals through his 5-hole the last few games you gotta wonder if the scouting report is out on him and Boucher (who was surprisingly solid) doesn't get the nod? Niemi has bounced back with strong showings from bad games in all 3 rounds so far, to his credit, but I can't help but think he just ain't that good.
    Hawks got a lucky break on the winner. Wow, where were the refs on that one? Not that I think it would have mattered the way the 3rd went but you can bet the refs will have instructions to equalize that mistake in game 2. I'll be at game 2. If anyone's there, I'm the good looking guy in the Toews jersey.

What did I miss? I was so disgusted I didn't see..

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Hawks got a lucky break on the winner. Wow, where were the refs on that one? Not that I think it would have mattered the way the 3rd went but you can bet the refs will have instructions to equalize that mistake in game 2. I'll be at game 2. If anyone's there, I'm the good looking guy in the Toews jersey.
    ..the replay or notice anything that would have constituted a penalty. Please let me know.

It does appear the Hawks are getting favored status tonight. That call on Carcillo was really weak, ditto the one on Richards, but luckily it didn't make a difference as they killed off the penalty.

0-0 at the end of the first is more like it. I know some would like to see 10 or 11 goals again, but not me, unless they're all by the Flyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ..the replay or notice anything that would have constituted a penalty. Please let me know.

It does appear the Hawks are getting favored status tonight. That call on Carcillo was really weak, ditto the one on Richards, but luckily it didn't make a difference as they killed off the penalty.

0-0 at the end of the first is more like it. I know some would like to see 10 or 11 goals again, but not me, unless they're all by the Flyers.
    The play on the game winning goal - the puck hit the Hawk player on the bench, should have been blown dead...30 seconds later it was in the back of the net, same player came on and got the puck back and scored. All washes out considering they didn't give Chicago a single call in game 1 and probably should have called 4 or 5, but looks bad on the game when officiating is making such a difference.

As for the calls. The Carcillo call was typical of the crap they were calling in game 1. Seems like 1 ref wants to let them play, the other wants to call all the obstruction crap by the book. Case in point, Briere holds the stick for a good 20 seconds, likely trying to draw a slash or hook call, and no call, but it eliminates the player from play. I prefer the lack of obstruction and cheap stuff - that just gives weaker teams an equalizer...but not if it's on every 3rd call. The NHL is the only sport where a penalty in game 1 of the regular season won't be called in the playoffs...they need to implement coach's challenges or something to keep these guys accountable.

Man the Flyers are outplaying the Hawks as bad in 3rd as they were outplayed in the 1st.

Leighton can't be serving up rebound pie like this much longer...

Also noticing that Pronger is sure rubbing off on Coburn. He won't be a Pronger but he'll be a solid player for a long time.

And no...I'm not at game 2

42 Regular
    All washes out considering they didn't give Chicago a single call in game 1 and probably should have called 4 or 5, but looks bad on the game when officiating is making such a difference.
    Yes. And yes.

Game 3 is going to be interesting.

LET'S GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

There is a glaring, obvious weakness in the Hawks' game - they cannot play to protect a lead. They should have kept the pace instead they held back. Once they got up by 2 late in the 2nd, they shifted to defend mode and were outplayed the rest of the way by a good margin. It's different - one team stops taking chances, stops the 2 man forecheck, and sits back - the other team has to take more high risk, high offence chances and go for it - this allowed the Flyers to engage the D more and pinch, and really pin the Hawks in their end. Back and forth for sure.

If the Flyers could hold a lead, or go up 2 goals, I think they would shut the Hawks down the rest of the way - they might not have the speed or physicality of Chicago up front, but they're better defensively in the scrambles. That 1st goal in game 3 is going to be huge..

If not for the MVP candidate Niemi's play in net, they would have blown it - and give him props. The 5th time in these playoffs this kid has bounced back from a rough game with a stellar performance to bail out his team - that's mental toughness that only 3-4 other goalies in the league have. Maybe he is that good?

And Leighton - good on him for keeping it together after that questionable 2nd goal - that's fortitude. That guy is a gamer...what he lacks in NHL skill he makes up for in grit. I like him. I still don't think the Flyers take it to 6 games - but no shame here, they're where the Hawks were not too

My trip to Chicago is on hold until this weekend, so it's game 5 or bust for me...

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Who is the old lady on the screen, singing God Bless America?

And why no Star Spangled Banner?

Inquiring minds and all that crap...

I don't like others.

That's very cool. Finally a hockey superstition that I can appreciate. Thanks Jay.

42 Regular
    Hawks looked tired in the 3rd period and OT. Actually, both teams were... but the Flyers played like they wanted it more. Much more urgency, especially on offense.

Hawks will take Game 4. You heard it here first.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

The Flyers outplayed the Hawks the last game too...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    Hawks looked tired in the 3rd period and OT. Actually, both teams were... but the Flyers played like they wanted it more. Much more urgency, especially on offense.

...and especially in the 3rd period. They were very fortunate to be up 2-0 when they reached Philly. To predict the Hawks will win Friday is a 50-50 deal, and I happen to think you're wrong. The Flyers have home ice and the momentum.

Ooooh. A little RR hockey showdown.

Personally, I hope Philly wins to tie up the series, just so that I can watch you two go at it.

Plus, I just love a seven game series...so exciting! (especially when I have nothing at stake).

As for last night, I really only watched the third period and OT (decided I should finally do my taxes instead). I thought that Philly's offense looked very good. Much stronger than Chicago. And if not for Niemi's skill, I'm pretty confident that Philly would have taken it in the third. I have to side with Swish on this one. Home ice, coming off a win. My money's on Philly next game.

I did happen to notice that it looked like Niemi picked up the puck on his way out of the net.

Hey Swish is back - he was MIA after the game 2 loss...I feared the worst.

Philly played desperate and up to their potential last night. Chicago did not, and they deserved to lose. Being better on paper and showing up are 2 different things. We've seen Philly's A game so far....we still haven't seen Chicago's. And part of the reason for that is because Philly plays a tough, grinding style they haven't seen much of this year. Maybe the pressure's getting to the Hawks' stars.

If this goes 7 games, I figure the Flyers will win - they're made to grind it out - and high flying teams like the Hawks usually have trouble sustaining that style for long periods of time. But realistically, the series has been close and you see Chicago winning 1 of the next 2 games so they'll have a chance to avoid game 7.

The cliche holds true, you are never in trouble in a series until you lose a game on home ice. Both these goalies continue to impresse me. This is a better finals already than the last 2 IMO. Nice to see a changing of the guard, so to speak. Both of these teams are only going to get better over the next few years.

Suspended
    Philly is the better team overall but....

The Hawks do a few things really good:

1- They continue to just skate up behind an opposing player and take the puck away before being detected

2- When they fore check, they don't just pester and skate away like the Flyers have been doing, they stick to it like glue

3- They have mastered the long outlet pass to a seemingly always open man

4- when pounding it out in the offensive corners, the Fyers man at the point seems to always be too close to the boards and the puck continues to squirt out just on the center ice side of him where the Hawks are either positioned a bit better to get the puck at the boards or towards mid ice and or they have 2 players ready in that area

Overall no matter how sloppy both defenses are, they have been fun and exciting games to watch. I'm loving the fact that Buughfexpialidocious has gotten nothing but penalty minutes. Pronger appears to be getting away with murder cross checking him at the crease.

Go Flyers!!!!

Suspended
    Wednesday night's OT goal was... HUGE!
    It really was..

That goal could be the momentum swing they need, and I'm looking forward to watching tonite's game.

Edit: YEAH!!! SCORE!!! 2 zip

Suspended
    "And now its a best of 3"

Fvckin' A!

I heard it here first, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi

...you were wrong dude! Now about that bet we made on this game....

How sweet it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    "And now its a best of 3"

Fvckin' A!
    Why did there have to be a sweat? 4-1 lead then the 5 on 3 goal and the garbage goal to get within one. Yeah, the Flyers got a garbage goal too, but that was just nasty at that point of the game. Well, we just need to win one in Chicago, then look out.

Home ice has proven to be the difference, and the give the Flyers a lot of credit, they are finding ways to win games and neutralize the Hawks. Advantage Philly...not because they only have to win 1 in Chi-town, but because they're inside the Hawks' heads now...this wasn't supposed to happen this way.

Who says the East Conference is the weak sister of the NHL?

Well, the East won it all last year...

Home ice has proven to be the difference, and the give the Flyers a lot of credit, they are finding ways to win games and neutralize the Hawks. Advantage Philly...not because they only have to win 1 in Chi-town, but because they're inside the Hawks' heads now...this wasn't supposed to happen this way.

Who says the East Conference is the weak sister of the NHL?
    ...so I'm not sure about the 'weak sister' reference either. In fact, the East has one 5 or 8 since the 1999-2000 season (one year was canceled due to the lockout) while the West has won just 3. They had a streak of 4 prior to that, but the East has won many more in the last 50 years, something like 35 to 14.

Can the Flyers win one on the road? Can either team? I don't know. We shall see.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information