• 09-15-2013, 07:45 AM
    Finch Platte
    Beware of the new Blackfield disc
    Blackfield IV only contains 31 minutes of music. 11 songs, not one over 4 minutes long. Several are under 2 minutes. I know, this isn't major criteria for buying a disc, but when you shell out almost $15 for a CD that you may think would have some prog elements to it, you really want more than 31 minutes of music. What is this, a Ramones disc? And why can't I make paragraphs in this joint??? :mad5:
  • 09-16-2013, 11:04 AM
    Swish
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Blackfield IV only contains 31 minutes of music. 11 songs, not one over 4 minutes long. Several are under 2 minutes. I know, this isn't major criteria for buying a disc, but when you shell out almost $15 for a CD that you may think would have some prog elements to it, you really want more than 31 minutes of music. What is this, a Ramones disc? And why can't I make paragraphs in this joint??? :mad5:

Blackfield = Crap
  • 09-16-2013, 01:41 PM
    Finch Platte
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    Blackfield = Crap

Oh. NOW you tell me.
  • 09-18-2013, 05:48 AM
    3LB
    Steven Wilson is no longer in this project for one thing and I was never a huge fan of the earlier albums with Wilson. There were some good songs (Once should have been a PT song) but most of it left me cold. I haven't even bothered to listen to samples of this latest one.
  • 09-18-2013, 06:42 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    I didn't know that SW was no longer involved. I never liked Blackfield even with him.
  • 09-18-2013, 10:36 AM
    Finch Platte
    in
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LB View Post
    Steven Wilson is no longer in this project for one thing and I was never a huge fan of the earlier albums with Wilson. There were some good songs (Once should have been a PT song) but most of it left me cold. I haven't even bothered to listen to samples of this latest one.

I'm pretty sure he's involved with this one. At least that's what the sticker on the outer cover said. I can't check cuz I already took it back. :)
  • 09-18-2013, 07:16 PM
    3LB
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    in

I'm pretty sure he's involved with this one. At least that's what the sticker on the outer cover said. I can't check cuz I already took it back. :)

I think he still mixed and produced it, but Wilson mentioned on his own website (maybe a year ago) that his involvement with Blackfield will be reduced to 'contributor and not member'. Actually, the third Blackfield album was mostly Aviv Geffen with a little bit of Wilson here and there. Wilson wanted to devote more time to his solo projects. Just as well. I think that the last two PT albums were devoid of those rock/pop gems that were a part of all PT's album pre-FoaBP because Wilson had finally spread himself too thin. To be honest, I don't think he's got that edge back either because his solo output is as monochromatic as the last two PT albums.