Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Asobi Seksu

  1. #1
    Suspended 3-LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Hey! Over here!
    Posts
    2,746

    Asobi Seksu

    Hadn't heard of these guys before, though I seen they have older albums out. I heard this band's new album in my local indie store and found it to be very engaging. On the outset, I thought they were going to be some Japanese techno-pop band, but they do have a more western indie pop feel to them. Their music is not unlike what passes for indie pop now, and there are traces of electronic sampling ala Notwist, some rock. Their lead singer is a very attractive Japanese girl who sings in both English and Japanese, (its said they hail from Brooklyn). Kinda like an updated version of Blondie or Berlin or Kate Bush, or a non-retarded version of Bjork. Me likey.

  2. #2
    Forum Regular Sugar Beats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    97.5, The Blaze
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Hadn't heard of these guys before, though I seen they have older albums out. I heard this band's new album in my local indie store and found it to be very engaging. On the outset, I thought they were going to be some Japanese techno-pop band, but they do have a more western indie pop feel to them. Their music is not unlike what passes for indie pop now, and there are traces of electronic sampling ala Notwist, some rock. Their lead singer is a very attractive Japanese girl who sings in both English and Japanese, (its said they hail from Brooklyn). Kinda like an updated version of Blondie or Berlin or Kate Bush, or a non-retarded version of Bjork. Me likey.

    Hey 3LB, I was just curious what other bands you like. I think me may likey what you likey...
    Don't you like it on the sly? Don't you like it till it hurts? Have I been on your mind? What's a voice without a song?

  3. #3
    Suspended 3-LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Hey! Over here!
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Beats
    Hey 3LB, I was just curious what other bands you like. I think me may likey what you likey...
    2008 Year In Review comp

    this comp is pretty indicative of how I roll

  4. #4
    Forum Regular Sugar Beats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    97.5, The Blaze
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    2008 Year In Review comp

    this comp is pretty indicative of how I roll

    Thanks for sharing, I'll check it out. Have you heard Paramore?
    I think she's got a pretty good voice. Also seems to have really good energy in concert.
    Don't you like it on the sly? Don't you like it till it hurts? Have I been on your mind? What's a voice without a song?

  5. #5
    Suspended 3-LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Hey! Over here!
    Posts
    2,746
    I guess some of this album reminds me of the Cranberries as well...kinda laid back in spots. I just found out that "asobi seksu" is a slang phrase in Japan meaning playful sex....hhmmm....

  6. #6
    Forum Regular Sugar Beats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    97.5, The Blaze
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    I guess some of this album reminds me of the Cranberries as well...kinda laid back in spots. I just found out that "asobi seksu" is a slang phrase in Japan meaning playful sex....hhmmm....

    Hmmmm... one of the best kinds, right up there with erotic, hot, steamy, down & dirty, & mind-blowing.....


    Oh Sorry, forgot for a minute that we were talking about a record...

    Jeez! Where is my mind today?
    Don't you like it on the sly? Don't you like it till it hurts? Have I been on your mind? What's a voice without a song?

  7. #7
    Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,085
    Thanks for the thread on Asobi Seksu. My Japanese wife was interested to see their website. After studying the website she was somewhat disappointed since only the lead female vocalist has a Japanese name, Yuki Chikudate. Yuki btw means snow in Japanese. So we figured this might be rather deceptive since obviously someone who sings for a group who's name means playful sex cannot be pure as the driven snow!

    My neighbor who is an electronics tech police detective was over for a visit. He thought the photo of Yuki looked a little suspect. He brought over his photo evaluation equipment and came to a startling conclusion. Yuki is actually Michael Jackson in drag!

    RR6
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by RoadRunner6; 02-18-2009 at 11:58 PM.

  8. #8
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    6,777
    Put down whatever it is you're smokin' RR3.

  9. #9
    Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    RR3.
    Oh, wise guy!

    RR6+

  10. #10
    Suspended 3-LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Hey! Over here!
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Put down whatever it is you're smokin' RR3.
    more like sniffin'

  11. #11
    nightflier
    Guest
    3LB, I know she's cute and all, and the name immediately caught my eye, but after seeing their stuff on YouTube (granted it's not the best way to hear it), I'm a bit underwhelmed.

    Paramore. My wife bought Riot on a whim and it's got its toe-tapping moments. Give them a couple more years and either they'll really stand out, or they'll converge to that ubiquitous Lavigne-ness. The one Achiles' Heel is that Hayley's voice doesn't have enough range to carry the band, IMO. The lyrics aren't very deep either and I'm just left wondering how different they can be. That said, it's not my kind of music really, so take it for what it's worth.

    Where are the bands that realign our expectations of where popular music is going? I know this is going back a ways, but I miss the JoyDivision-Nirvana-Timelords revolutions. Heck, even Gorillaz was a refreshing take and a new direction. For a new band to go beyond the toe-tapping top-40 dirvel, they have to do more than just sell a lot of records.

    Sorry if I'm coming off a little cranky. It's been one of those Thursdays....

  12. #12
    Forum Regular Sugar Beats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    97.5, The Blaze
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    3LB, I know she's cute and all, and the name immediately caught my eye, but after seeing their stuff on YouTube (granted it's not the best way to hear it), I'm a bit underwhelmed.

    Paramore. My wife bought Riot on a whim and it's got its toe-tapping moments. Give them a couple more years and either they'll really stand out, or they'll converge to that ubiquitous Lavigne-ness. The one Achiles' Heel is that Hayley's voice doesn't have enough range to carry the band, IMO. The lyrics aren't very deep either and I'm just left wondering how different they can be. That said, it's not my kind of music really, so take it for what it's worth.

    Where are the bands that realign our expectations of where popular music is going? I know this is going back a ways, but I miss the JoyDivision-Nirvana-Timelords revolutions. Heck, even Gorillaz was a refreshing take and a new direction. For a new band to go beyond the toe-tapping top-40 dirvel, they have to do more than just sell a lot of records.

    Sorry if I'm coming off a little cranky. It's been one of those Thursdays....

    Flier, I think your pretty right on re" Paramore. Could go either way, I hope the opposite of what you mention & they become a "stand-out."

    So what happened on this bright & cheery (at least around here) Thursday to make you "cranky?"
    Don't you like it on the sly? Don't you like it till it hurts? Have I been on your mind? What's a voice without a song?

  13. #13
    prepare to meet thy Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2
    I've heard Citrus and their follow-up, Hush. Citrus was interesting, but not really great.

    Their newest is very underwhelming. It's enjoyable, but it lacks the power that colored Citrus' best moments.


    (also 3-Lock-Box brought me here).

  14. #14
    Suspended 3-LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Hey! Over here!
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Where are the bands that realign our expectations of where popular music is going?
    hhmmm...if I were good at figuring that out...

    I don't know really, but I appreciate where you're coming from. The aren't many really original acts out there, just those who do what they're comfortable with, and do it very well. There's a few quirk meisters out there, but nothing truly innovative. Asobi Seksu is a surprise for me in that I wasn't looking for it. I liked what I was hearing, and got it. I am impressed with it, but I'm sure there are some hip-merchants out there who consider it a 'been there - heard that' type of band.

    Not that I'm disagreeing with you. I feel the way you do about prog at the moment. A lot of recycled ideas but nothing earth shattering, nor anything terribly well done either.

    Maybe a band like Umphrey's McGee or Echolyn is just the direction pop needs to go. Wouldn't hurt.

  15. #15
    nightflier
    Guest
    Wow Echolyn is interesting. Hints of Rush, Alabama, Jethro Tull. I'll have to listen to some more. Not too crazy about the oversynthed sound, but I can see where they're trying to take it.

    SB, let's just say it involved a backed up toilet down the hall, a failed software audit, and I forgot my lunch on the kitchen counter after skipping breakfast (not that I had much of an appetite, today).

  16. #16
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    I was eagerly awaiting this one but like some of the others, was a bit underwhelmed primarily due to my own comparison to Citrus. Hush has it's moments though and for me the high points are high enough that I don't regret picking it up.

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •