Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hey crew...

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Hey crew...

...I'm feeling flush and bored and unchallenged so I'm thinkembout goin' out and grabbing some tunes. With the exception of a smattering of a select few it's been several months since I've bought any new music. I'm thinking about some blues, some jazz, and of course some alt-country-rockish-whatever stuff.

...any suggestions?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    ...I'm feeling flush and bored and unchallenged so I'm thinkembout goin' out and grabbing some tunes. With the exception of a smattering of a select few it's been several months since I've bought any new music. I'm thinking about some blues, some jazz, and of course some alt-country-rockish-whatever stuff.

...any suggestions?
    Howdy, 'Sticks.

Treat yourself right: listen to some classical. See my signature for some suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Howdy, 'Sticks.

Treat yourself right: listen to some classical. See my signature for some suggestions.
    That's not a bad idea at all! When I get in these moods I generally purchase 10 or 20 titles at a time...more than enough room for a lil' of everything...

During the summer I generally prefer Chamber Music and smaller ensembles...of your brand-spankin' new list would you mind naming a few of your personal favorites.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Well, you could do me a favor and give The Nils Cline Singers: Initiate a listen and let me know if I should be putting it on my rush to buy list. That is if you're looking for something different and potentially good.

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Well, you could do me a favor and give The Nils Cline Singers: Initiate a listen and let me know if I should be putting it on my rush to buy list. That is if you're looking for something different and potentially good.
    I might, I might...I like me some Wilco and I'd imagine that unfettered by the group setting Nils must make it rip, though that is pure conjecture since I haven't heard much of his solo stuff...

I like th eway this is going...nothing like the feeling of coming home to a veritable cornucopia of new tunes and styles and such...

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Very nice...sweet but occasionaly raspy...kinda like a mod Maria Muldaur...

42 Regular
    I recently picked up The Besnard Lakes Are the Roaring Night, and I'm finding it kinda challenging (in a good way) and hard to categorize. Trippy indie-rock that mashes together elements of shoegaze, psychedelia, Brian Wilson, Bon Hiver, Alan Parsons and more.

The first couple of tracks do indulge in that sort of whiny, arty male falsetto vox that plagues so many indie releases these days, but then it turns a major corner and becomes more and more compelling as it goes along. In a word, it's haunting. Check it out.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

You had me at "shoegaze"...

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    been really diggin' the new Roky Erickson w/ Okkervil River. pretty classic Roky sound and some of his older tunes but with good production and Ok. R. makes a very nice backing band - subtle and complementary.
    Also just picked up the vinyl reissue of Galaxie 500 - On Fire...good stuff that I hadn't listened to for awhile.
    have fun at the store!

Forum Regular

Two quickies that come to mind

sticks :

THE BEST BAND YOU NEVER HEARD IN YOUR LIFE (Zappa) the double-CD that Troy and I rave about is a good purchase............if you want a quality recording of a great live concert, this is it............and you don't have to buy the other 99 Zappa releases to get the best of his stuff since many of his good compositions are right here.

Another pick :

On the NAXOS label, I've really been enjoying a 10-CD box set of Rachmaninov -- THE COMPLETE SOLO PIANO MUSIC AND CONCERTOS............you really have to love the piano, but this set is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyhambone
    been really diggin' the new Roky Erickson w/ Okkervil River. pretty classic Roky sound and some of his older tunes but with good production and Ok. R. makes a very nice backing band - subtle and complementary.
    Also just picked up the vinyl reissue of Galaxie 500 - On Fire...good stuff that I hadn't listened to for awhile.
    have fun at the store!
    I'm more than familiar with Okkervil but Roky is new to me...depending on the vocal style that may not be the flavor of the day...I'm suffering a bit of ennui with the previously described "whiny, male falsetto"...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    sticks :

THE BEST BAND YOU NEVER HEARD IN YOUR LIFE (Zappa) the double-CD that Troy and I rave about is a good purchase............if you want a quality recording of a great live concert, this is it............and you don't have to buy the other 99 Zappa releases to get the best of his stuff since many of his good compositions are right here.

Another pick :

On the NAXOS label, I've really been enjoying a 10-CD box set of Rachmaninov -- THE COMPLETE SOLO PIANO MUSIC AND CONCERTOS............you really have to love the piano, but this set is awesome.

I love the piano and have, in fact, been listening to a lot of Joe Sample and Jacky Terasson lately. I've the Rach stuff on Living Stereo but Naxos always puts out some fine stuff...I'll keep an eye out and report back.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    I'm more than familiar with Okkervil but Roky is new to me...
    this'll be his first release in 14 years I think, led the 13th Floor Elevators in the 60's and had a 'falling out with reality' for the past 30 some years. Great songwriter - more raw, bluesy than whiney to me. here's a solo tune from '85...

Roky Erickson - Don't Slander Me

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    That's not a bad idea at all!
    During the summer I generally prefer Chamber Music and smaller ensembles...
    Dvorak String Quartet No. 12 (American suite)
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Titus Andronicus - The Monitor

I just posted about this one. They're an indie band from NJ and they rock pretty fine. You won't be disappointed.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I just posted about this one. They're an indie band from NJ and they rock pretty fine. You won't be disappointed.
    I wish i woulda checked out this thread before I left 'cause if there's anything that I did miss out on it would be some rockin' stuff...damn...anything that's reminiscent of Djr. gotta be the stuff...

So clearly I'm back and...damn...this thing is like a disease, really...I mean a sickness. As I walked across the street, bag in hand, I realized that I had absolutely no idea the contents of that bag were...it's like a feeding frenzy...like pirahnas...or sharks...call me sharkboy...

Anyway, from a specific recommendation perspective the trip was an abject failure: out of Nels, no Meaghan, lots of Okkervil but not the one mentioned, etc...but "stylistically" I feel that it was a success none the less...

The take:

Holly Golightly & The Brokeoffs~Medicine County...the first two tracks on the listening post convinced me that this was a must-have and the buggy-ride home affirmed that. Jingle-jangley goodness and vocal badassery...
    Moby~Go: The Very Best of Moby
    Greg Osby~The Invisible Hand
    Big John Patton~Got A Good Thing Goin'...not "remastered" by RVG but originally engineered by the man in 1966...Grant Green and Hugh Walker oblige with some help...
    Oscar Peterson~Oscar's Ballads...another Oscar find on Telarc, I love it...
    Etta Jones~Don't Go To Strangers...RVG remaster
    Lisa Gerrard & Patrick Cassidy~Immortal Memory...a remastered, reissue from Beggar's...
    Miles Davis~My Funny Valentine
    Miles Davis~Someday My Pronce Will Come
    Los Straightjackets~The Further Adventures of Los Straightjackets...a YepRoc promo that clearly I shouldn't have been allowed to purchase but did anyway...
    Alejandro Escovedo~More Miles Than Money: Live 1994-96
    The Basement Boys Present: Mudfoot Jones: from what I can gather a juxtaposition of swamp blues and jazzanova...
    Norbert Kraft & The Northern Chamber Orchestra~Rodrigo, Villa-Lobos, and Castelnuovo-Tedesco Guitar Concertos...Naxos bay-bay...
    Leif Ove Andsnes & the Artemis Quartet~Schumann-Brahms Piano Quintets
    Helene Grimaud~Beethoven's Concerto No.5/Piano Sonata No. 28...on Grammophon...
    Kronos Quartet with Alim & Fargana Qasimov and Homayun Sakhi~Rainbow...a Smithsonian Folkways Recording highlighting Central Asian percussion and Azerbaijani arrangements
    Solomon Burke~Nothing's Impossible: a new one from the king of jazzy Rock 'n' Soula...reminds me of Otis Redding crossed with Sterling Harrison...

and, new and now playing: Charlie Hunter's Natty Dread.

It's gonna be a good week.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Howdy, 'Sticks.

Hey Feanor -

In FF 3.6.3 that 250 list loads the html, it isn't rendering the page correctly. It like saying 'view source' when you really just wanted the rendered page.

So clearly I'm back and...damn...this thing is like a disease
    That looks like a really fun trip! Reminds me I need to get back to my Miles project. I think Someday My Prince Will Come is up in two.

...the Best of Moby, though?

Ya gots to mix it up...

That looks like a really fun trip! Reminds me I need to get back to my Miles project. I think Someday My Prince Will Come is up in two.

...I like that Bennie Bennassi, Paul Van Dyk, Moby, ravish-techno scene sometimes...

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

It's just an EP.

(Ah, I crack myself up sometimes.)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    It's just an EP.

(Ah, I crack myself up sometimes.)

(heh. and me too)

a sample of an EP or an actual EP?

It's actually a sample off a Madonna EP which itself is a sample of a Public Enenmy single...which was actually a Curtis Mayfield recording of a pigeon on crack in Central Park...Tweet tweet mutha****er, give me a quarter...boom chicka wah wah...

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Hey Feanor -

In FF 3.6.3 that 250 list loads the html, it isn't rendering the page correctly. It like saying 'view source' when you really just wanted the rendered page.
    Well, that's what you get for using Firefox.

Thanks for the heads up, aA. I have revised my signature for the "Core" items to link to a PDF version which hopefully will work better. I'll get around to the Chamber Works item shortly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information