Anyone looking forward to the new Stephen Malkmus?

I'm really not. It seems that about two months after he releases a solo album, the copy I bought has a permanent place on my shelf, collecting dust.

Also to be released on Tuesday:

Annie - Anniemal (US release - finally)
    Sleater-Kinney - The Woods

And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar
    Sleater-Kinney! I wanna shake my monkey bone in The Woods!

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
    After its most prolonged absence from the recording studio, Sleater-Kinney has reloaded with a smoldering rock and roll record that rivals John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band and Nirvana's In Utero in terms of unexpectedness. It is a 180-degree proclamation to the album which came before it. Producer David Fridmann (Weezer, Flaming Lips) coaxed the Portland, OR trio to retool its approach to making music. The results are startling and far and away the most collaborative, experimental and risky in the band's seven-record career. Corin Tucker's supreme guttural form is on display from the lead-off track "The Fox"--a would-be children's tale overridden by crunching power chords and drummer Janet Weiss's battering percussion. The Woods tugs on your ear musically and stabs at your heart lyrically on riff-wielding jaunts "Wilderness," "Modern Girl" and "Rollercoaster." The live-in-one-take, 11-minute blockbuster "Let's Call It Love" unleashes Carrie Brownstein's foray into guitar-solo psychedelic. Haven't heard Sleater-Kinney yet? Try Dig Me Out and work your way forward. Already on board? Find a steady chair, feel your ears bleed and watch your speakers disintegrate. --Scott Holter

Album Description
    The Portland trio's first album for Sub Pop. A much more riff-heavy affair, this album finds the band pushing their sonic/compositional boundaries, while maintaining their identity. The limited edition version (25,000) comes with a bonus DVD featuring five performances of new songs recorded live in Portland.

BTW, this is the one I'm anxiously awaiting next month's release...Brian Eno's return to Tiger Mountain...

Not too much interest in the new Malkmus on my end, although I did see the ad for it and it's kind of retro cool. Looking forward to the upcoming Silver Jews Tanglewood Numbers though. Lot's of nice guests on that one including both Malkmus and most of the Pavement crew, along with Will Oldham and a bunch more geezers.

Last edited by Monkey Bones; 05-18-2005 at 03:42 PM.

Me neither. I didn't care for his last one...

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    I'm really not. It seems that about two months after he releases a solo album, the copy I bought has a permanent place on my shelf, collecting dust.

Also to be released on Tuesday:

Annie - Anniemal (US release - finally)
    Sleater-Kinney - The Woods

although the first one was pretty good. They're both collecting dust at the moment, along with most of my other music since I'm on the road so much. Maybe I need to get me an I-Pod so I can load my cds on the sucker. It's depressing listening to the crap the airlines play. About the only thing I could stand on my way to Phoenix was "classic rock", hardly my favorite thing, although a few of the tunes were decent.

I'm not sure about Sleater-Kinney either. All Hands on the Bad One is pretty damned good, but I kinda got tired of them after that.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I am. I like solo Malko better than Pavement. Well, except for Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain. But I've just got it like that.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Swishy...

As one road warrior to another, I highly recommend an iPod for your car. I had a three hour drive up north last Monday and then the return 3 hour drive on Thursday. Before I left, I created a playlist with the tunes that I wanted to hear on the road. The sucker played for the full three hours (and then some). I had good tunes and never had to worry about changing the CD while driving.

Not only that, but you can plug it into your laptop (or buy speakers, I recommend the Altec Lansings for travel) and have great tunes in your hotel room too.

You don't need one of the big 20 or 40 gig 'pods if you're just using it for the car. An iPod mini will give you 70 hours of music. Although a 20 gig is only $100 more.

Do it! You won't be sorry.

Actually, the car is the only place I don't need it...

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    As one road warrior to another, I highly recommend an iPod for your car. I had a three hour drive up north last Monday and then the return 3 hour drive on Thursday. Before I left, I created a playlist with the tunes that I wanted to hear on the road. The sucker played for the full three hours (and then some). I had good tunes and never had to worry about changing the CD while driving.

Not only that, but you can plug it into your laptop (or buy speakers, I recommend the Altec Lansings for travel) and have great tunes in your hotel room too.

You don't need one of the big 20 or 40 gig 'pods if you're just using it for the car. An iPod mini will give you 70 hours of music. Although a 20 gig is only $100 more.

Do it! You won't be sorry.
    As my cd changer is perfect for me. I would like to use it on planes and such, and in my hotel room would be good too. That's not to say I would never use it in my car, it's just that I don't have an immediate need for that. I guess I'll have to start doing some research.

Thanks,
    Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Not really a fan of the solo stuff. I�m a huge fan of Pavement and actually like or love all five records. The first solo album was pretty good but the bonus CD on the second one was better than the full album, IMO. D/L this one and still haven't formed a good opinion of it or just have too much stuff to listen to at the moment with Spoon and others (but not the band the Others as they are horrible).

Quote Originally Posted by BeeOK
    Not really a fan of the solo stuff. I�m a huge fan of Pavement and actually like or love all five records. The first solo album was pretty good but the bonus CD on the second one was better than the full album, IMO. D/L this one and still haven't formed a good opinion of it or just have too much stuff to listen to at the moment with Spoon and others (but not the band the Others as they are horrible).
    Hey Bee, nice to see you drop by! I tend to feel the same way as you, but I do like that first solo a lot. Was kind of ambivalent toward the next one, though. Just didn't seem quirky or edgy enough. Hopefully getting back together with Dave Berman will mean a great new Silver Jews album, even if I don't care that much about Malkmus and the Jicks.

By the way, I'm just about ready to send out copies of our latest Current Rotation Sampler, this one Volume 10 and the first one curated by Mr. Monkey Bones himself, with 20 recent songs from almost 20 Rave Wreckers, some brilliant, some very good and some I won't comment on, but still a fuckin' blast and a half to hear with everything from Albini produced Austrian math rockers to Floridian funky soul rockers, so if you wanna get a copy hit me with a PM and your addy. Take care

Thread Information