Anyone have Desparate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes yet?

What do you think of the new TV On The Radio album? Great? Good? I don't know? Another over-hyped band from Brooklyn? Get more attention than they deserve because there aren't hardly any other black rock bands? Or only 2/3 black, now that I look at a picture. That's some 'fro the lead guy is sportin', eh?

Anyway, I've listened to a couple mp3 songs (Satellite and Staring At The Sun) and like the sound, but don't know how strong the album is. Lots of good press. I think I remember Swish Baby ordering it, but don't recall any mention of it. Probably ordered it from the notoriously slow deepdiscountcd.com so it might not be here in time for consideration on his best of 2004 list

Well, Swish Baby got the thing and after a few spins I can tell you...

that it's pretty damned good. I read a sterling review that made me put it on the top of my list. The reviewer mentioned that they were possible successors to Bowie, Prince and the Pixies, so no one needed to twist my arm.

Actually, this thing sounds very unique (can something be very unique?) and nothing like the Strokes, Interpol, or other recent New York bands with lots of hype behind them. Not that I have any problem with the Strokes or Interpol, both of which are fine bands in my opinion, but their influences are firmly planted in the 80s while this stuff is, well, very different. My favorite tune so far is "Staring at the Sun", which I understand was on their Young Liars EP that was released last year.

I have to go now. My Sam Adams Winter Ale awaits.

Swish Baby
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    can something be very unique?
    Well, considering we probably overuse the word 'unique' (and I include myself in that crowd), yes.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information