Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anybody making year end mixes?

I've kinda sworn off the top 10, 20, whatever lists, but I still like making a mix for the year. I provided an MP3 download link below, but if you remember findly the days of those shiny little discs coming through the mail, let me know. It may take some time with the holidays, but I can accommodate.

Mostly this a bunch of stuff lots of you have probably heard before, but I listened to all this a bunch in 2007. I was surprised how much stuff I really liked that had to be cut to fit all on one CD with just a few seconds overburn. If I don't get lazy, a second more esoteric volume is planned with stuff like new tracks from Psychic TV, Thrill Kill Kult, Young Gods and things a bit more in that vein that I liked a bunch this year, but didn't get on here. Anyway, here's the link and the track list as it is...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dvh1xc

1 Tick Tick Boom - The Hives
    2 Icky Thump - White Stripes
    3 Leave My Kitten Alone - Detroit Cobras
    4 Sheena Is A Parasite - The Horrrors
    5 Herculean - The Good, The Bad And The Queen
    6 Inner City Violence - Tim Armstrong
    7 Jah Love - Bad Brains
    8 You're Gonna Leave - Stephen Marley
    9 100 Days, 100 Nights - Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings
    10 Back To Black - Amy Winehouse
    11 UnBiloTitled - Babyshambles
    12 Ruby - Kaiser Chiefs
    13 Intervention - Arcade Fire
    14 Fire It Up - Modest Mouse
    15 Phantom Limb - The Shins
    16 Myth Takes - !!!
    17 North American Scum - LCD Soundsystem
    18 Mer Du Japon - Air
    19 DDD (Dirty Disco Dub) - The Orb
    20 Warum - Pole
    21 The Mouthchew - Stars of the Lid

I already did mine! I am gonna do a second disc's worth next week though.

How do people want these?
    FLAC?
    mp3 (Lame v0)?
    Apple Lossless again?

NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Flac's cool

I thought about Flac, but just offered mailings to people who wanted the CD quality stuff. Maybe I will get together a little zip file with flacs and cover art for download instead. It is cheaper and easier than mail in many cases.

Mr. Nobody,

You know I want one! I could d/l flac files is anyone knows a site where it's possible without too much hassle. Course your discs are usually worth at least a bit of hassle : ) CDs are always cool too.

Not that anyones sitting on the edge of their seat, but I'll kick mine out next week. Gonna be a little bit hard since a lot of my favorite discs are reasonably ubiquitous this year. That doesn't happen too often.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

New Psychic TV? Hey, did you hear the beautiful cover of "The Orchids" that Tim Rutili and the Califone guys did on their last record? I kind of made it the centerpiece of my year end comp last year, along with the folky instrumental that lead into it. Very cool stuff. Sounds great on the vinyl too.

I did one at the end of November which turned out pretty good. Last year it was a bit too far toward the esoteric side, and got some questionable reactions at work from people less exposed to the dark side of indie rock. So I made it a little more commercial and upbeat sounding this year, at least for the first few songs, before it heads out to the darkness on the edge of town. But not too dark or weird, at least for me. Still maybe a little too weird for some. Wound up getting rid of about 25 copies this year, with here and work and friends and family. Obviously a fool's errand, and kind of nerdy too, but once you get started it's pretty easy to keep going. Strange (or maybe not depending on what you think of my taste in music ), even though both of our comps stay with a lot of the popular indie and alternative type stuff, there is absolutely no artist overlap. Kind of an odd music year for me...

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Thanks, nobody. I really enjoyed last years and am looking forward to this one. pm inbound for CD

I know my comps don't get hit too heavily for downloads (2 to 7 takers) but I don't know if that's because of the hassle of the server (www.mediafire.com) or the lack of interest. FLAC or Apple Losseless.

My opinion is that it's not worth zipping the files together for lossless files. You don't gain much in compression by the zip. And the download success rate goes up with small files. Also allows people to just use their bandwidth for what they don't already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    New Psychic TV? Hey, did you hear the beautiful cover of "The Orchids" that Tim Rutili and the Califone guys did on their last record? I kind of made it the centerpiece of my year end comp last year, along with the folky instrumental that lead into it. Very cool stuff. Sounds great on the vinyl too.

I did one at the end of November which turned out pretty good. Last year it was a bit too far toward the esoteric side, and got some questionable reactions at work from people less exposed to the dark side of indie rock. So I made it a little more commercial and upbeat sounding this year, at least for the first few songs, before it heads out to the darkness on the edge of town. But not too dark or weird, at least for me. Still maybe a little too weird for some. Wound up getting rid of about 25 copies this year, with here and work and friends and family. Obviously a fool's errand, and kind of nerdy too, but once you get started it's pretty easy to keep going. Strange (or maybe not depending on what you think of my taste in music ), even though both of our comps stay with a lot of the popular indie and alternative type stuff, there is absolutely no artist overlap. Kind of an odd music year for me...

And like a #+&@heel I never thanked you for sending me a copy. Thank you very much. DIdn't find another Wovenhand or National on there this year but it was a fun and educational listen and was appreciated.

Thanks,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Cool

Hey nobody and slosh.

Flac or lossless would be just fine.

The Detroit Cobras... can't wait to hear that track.

Cheers,

Bill

Sorry, the free service is at full capacity.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I've promised myself that I'll do something for the crew in January but I suspect it'll be less of a YEC and more of a collection of bizarre tunes drawn together by my own dementia. My purchasing tends to not be focused on just new releases so I may try to draw on a composition of new and old, singles that hopefully flow. Hell, I'm confused just thinking about it.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Ooops, almost forgot, hell yeah nobody! Outstanding comp which I am enjoying as we speak. It occurs to me that I'm already in your debt so I'll make sure you're on autosend for whatever January brings...maybe with some bonus Trojan Records bonus love too, eh.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

I was going to but Davey took all the best songs for his..

...so I'm stuck with the dregs.

Actually, I wasn't planning on it, and Davey's is actually very good, bordering on the edge of perfection. For whatever reason, most of the songs fit my overall mis-en-scene at this point in my life. I already had a good portion of the tracks (Andrew Bird, Spoon, The National, Josh Ritter, Shearwater, Electrelane, Feist, p.j. harvey), but he chose songs that weren't the obvious choice from each, except maybe for a couple, and added others that are great tunes, including one that is outstanding (Augie March - Clockwork) that prompted me to order the CD which I just got in the mail yesterday.

Anyway, my point is that I don't really have a lot beyond what you guys are already putting together, so it would be a waste of time for me to do one.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ... and added others that are great tunes, including one that is outstanding (Augie March - Clockwork) that prompted me to order the CD which I just got in the mail yesterday.
    Ya know, I just remembered that I had kinda promised a couple people via pm to comment on that CD since they liked that tune as well, and I haven't got around to it. Sorry. It is a very good record, though I should've forewarned folks that track isn't very representative of the sound overall. They are usually more along the Kinks road, clever and concise, very melodic, while that track wanders more into the Radiohead arena, more of a 90s shoegaze sound. But very majestic. The record is mastered too hot and that does bug me some, stupid Sony, but I've really warmed up to it big time after kind of a slow start. Think I still like the last "Strange Bird" more, and took a few listens before it sunk in that I do really like this one. Kind of an odd flow, maybe that's it. Just didn't click at first. Still, as a big Kinks fan, these guys are about as close as it gets these days. Very poetic. Technically a 2006 release in their world, but 2007 in mine.

EDIT: BTW for those that got a copy and wanted to know more, I did finish updating the Holiday Mixer description at my site
    Last edited by Davey; 12-22-2007 at 11:07 AM.

My Part 2 is done and I'm happy enough with it but don't have time to upload it just yet. Even using FLAC level 8 it ended up being 511MB. A couple of surprises on there that I seriously doubt anyone else around here has

Had to leave off anything from the new Enon because I still haven't come across the CD (and I looked for it yesterday), although it's a good quality Lame v2 rip. Same with I'm Not Here. Also couldn't find a way to get Shellac to flow with the rest of the songs so it isn't represented.

Maybe I'll get it uploaded tomorrow or Monday.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Furry Slosh
    A couple of surprises on there that I seriously doubt anyone else around here has
    We love surprises. So when did you start using an avatar? And what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    We love surprises. So when did you start using an avatar? And what is it?
    Let's just say I have a couple of songs from tour CDs from popular RaveRec bands that didn't otherwise put out any new music in 2007

This is the avatar. Seemed appropriate for this time of year.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ok...Flac files here now...needed two separate uploads since they limit 'em to 300 MB and with Flacs, I was considerably over that. I also included some tossed together cover art in the part two download.

Here's Part 1:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/jx7ncf

And here's Part 2:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/078nve

I'll still be sending discs to anyone who asked for one. And, can still burn a few more if anyone else prefers that way. Just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    Ok...Flac files here now...needed two separate uploads since they limit 'em to 300 MB and with Flacs, I was considerably over that. I also included some tossed together cover art in the part two download.

Here's Part 1:

And here's Part 2:
    Thanks! D/L in progress now. FWIW I'm upping mine now while internet traffic is low and will make a new post when finished.

Something is wrong Mr. Nobody.

Here's Part 1:

And here's Part 2:

I'll still be sending discs to anyone who asked for one. And, can still burn a few more if anyone else prefers that way. Just let me know.
    I was able to upload the first bunch 'o tunes, but the second one has an issue. It appears to be loading just fine, but when it gets to the end, there's nothing there to save. I didn't do anything differently than the first time, and after two attempts that take about 90 minutes each, I'm giving up for now. Anyone else having trouble with this?

Swish
    Last edited by Swish; 12-23-2007 at 03:13 PM.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

I don't know what's up, and don't have time right now to try to test the download myself. But, if you'd like to have a CD version, just PM your address and I can hook you up that way. I should have time to try re-upping it in the next couple days and will give that a shot if it still doesn't seem to work.

I grabbed both folders just fine but haven't had the time to unzip them yet, let alone listen.

Sometimes you just have to come back and try again later when there's not so much internet traffic. With my Part 1 2007 YEC some people reported not being able to get some of the songs so I reupped them. Turns out the files were perfectly fine all along but the server was the problem. Try later at night or early the next morning and you should be okay (still way faster than snail mail ).

Well, now I have another problem.

I don't know what's up, and don't have time right now to try to test the download myself. But, if you'd like to have a CD version, just PM your address and I can hook you up that way. I should have time to try re-upping it in the next couple days and will give that a shot if it still doesn't seem to work.
    I just played back a few of the tunes on my Media Monkey and they're filled with all kinds of crackling noise, like my speakers are shot or something, except they're not. I popped in a cd and it plays perfectly, as well it should since I just installed these new Klipsch Media Pro speakers.

Anyway, maybe I'll try to burn the first one and see what happens on cdr playback. Perhaps it's something with Media Monkey, although that would be a stretch.

Swish

Just wanted to say I just played it all the way through with no issues. Something must have corrupted your download, Swish.

Come to think of it, user may be corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Just wanted to say I just played it all the way through with no issues. Something must have corrupted your download, Swish.
    Actually, the problem appears to be my cheapo version of Media Monkey, but only when using it to play songs. I had a ton of stuff saved to the library, so I played a few randomly and every one crackled and popped like a bowl of Rice Crispies. I used it to rip the first Nobody comp since that upload worked perfectly, and when I played it back using Media Player, it sounded the way it should.

Not sure how to fix this but I guess I just won't use it for playback, which I rarely do anyway. At least I've identified the problem.

Swish Baby

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information