Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Amy Winehouse

Well, Janet Jackson dances really well too...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sage
    I saw Sharon Jones live two years ago. Live on stage, she is a female vision of James Brown. The complete crowd was up and dancing all night long.

Now I got a DVD of Ms. Winehouse, "Live in London", and nowhere do I see anyone dancing like I did with Ms. Jones. Sorry, my vote goes to Sharon Jones.

Doc Sage
    ...but I won't go to see her because I really don't like her music. I don't need pyrotechnics or dancing to make a show worthwhile. I think the reason some need it, and I'm not including Sharon Jones in this category, is because the music itself won't be enough to carry them. Think 'Kiss' for one.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I would pay to see Amy...

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    I wouldn't pay to see her either, Worf, and I'm not quoting this to pick on you, just trying to generally address the thread.

I listened to the first SJ & the D-K's rec last night, the one from 2002. It's at least as derivative as the Amy Winehouse rec. Sounds like a bunch of recycled riffs & ideas mostly from James Brown, with a couple of others thrown into the mix as well (Wilson Pickett here & there, one or two that recall some of the less poppy moments on non-Motown soul), but the best thing I think can be said about it is that if you didn't know it wasn't recorded in the late 60s or early 70s, most people would be easily fooled. I would. I hadn't heard this since I got it but I don't feel any differently that I'd rather listen to the originals. They're just more interesting.

And the Winehouse rec is more interesting to my ears. Sure, Sharon Jones would by far be a more fun gig, it would seem, no contest. But I admitted not having heard the new Sharon Jones rec, so it could well be much better than this, and could be much better, who knows? I trust the opinions of folks here. But how many people have heard the debut, which is all I have to go on at present? I took a look on AMG & they assign four stars to each of the three albums, for what it's worth.

All of the recs I listed are derivative, though I think the Winehouse does actually offer a songwriting credit for one of the more obvious lifts. I don't mind derivative if I like it; but outside of a cover on Dap-Dappin', it sounds like something James Brown deserved to have his name on at least half, or more, of. And, again, the songs just weren't there, at least compared to the Amy Winehouse rec. I'll keep my ears open, but while I would've been happy to look at things a bit differently, I still don't hear it & I stand by what I felt about the rec I do have from when I first heard it about 3 years ago.

Sorry.
    ...if she got her act together. I saw her on the Mojo channel in hi def, and they did 3 or 4 tunes I think, and it was excellent. Amy is as smooth as velvet on on ice skates, and the band was smokin'.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Goin' to see Sharon Jones tomorrow night. I like the album, but think it has some dead spots. Still, I expect them to be an outstanding live show from what I've heard.

Speaking of Amy Winehouse, anyone else hear and dig her Ska EP:

Available as 7" vinyl only far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    Speaking of Amy Winehouse, anyone else hear and dig her Ska EP:

Available as 7" vinyl only far as I know.
    That rules me out does it contain by any chance the songs on CD 2 of the deluxe edition of 'Back to Black'?

Don't know. You use FLAC or is MP3 OK?

Where the hell you been?

I don't like others.

Don't know. You use FLAC or is MP3 OK?
    Me? I cant decode flac so mp3 is fine

I been around...kinda slow so just checking in from time to time.

I'll upload and post a link shortly.

I'll upload and post a link shortly.
    Cheers mate, that's kind of you. If you can make it a high bit rate

Thanks a lot i'll give it a listen tomorrow. Off to bed now

Yeah it's off the deluxe 2CD Back in Black album, on the 2nd CD, which also contains the very good 'Valerie', among others. I don't know if it's available in the US though.

Good to know. Is that second CD worth having? Much else good on there?

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...if she got her act together.
    Yeah, something about seeing her stumble her way through a tweaked-out rendition of Rehab might be a little hard to pay for, but all the best to her. Hope she pulls it off (rehab) and gets her life on track.

Yes...

Good to know. Is that second CD worth having? Much else good on there?
    I've owned the album for a year, the obvious answer to me is 'yes'. Yes because the 11 track listing of the normal one is very short. about 30-35 mins play time. What more, the extra tracks (obviously), which you dont get on the normal album. Here's the listing:
    Disc: 2
    1. Valerie
    2. Cupid (Deluxe Edition Version)
    3. Monkey Man
    4. To Know Him Is To Love Him (NapsterLive Session)
    5. Hey Little Rich Girl
    6. You're Wondering Now
    7. Some Unholy War
    8. Love Is A Losing Game (Original Demo)
    Now on CD 1 you'll have 'Addicted' instead of the 'You know I'm no Good remix' the US version offers. Addicted is a good song. The rest is in Disc 2, Valerie is great, the others which you don't have are basically remixes of the originals featured on disc 1. A bit more chilled and acoustical I should say. But Valerie and Addicted are really worth having, and the others aswell (IMO). Let me know if you want them or you can buy the album, it's available on amazon.com
    You'll notice it's an 'import'.
    Cheers, Stephen.
    Last edited by audio amateur; 12-05-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information