Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    But yeah, tough to not rec the latest from Josh Ritter too. Crappy sound, but pretty addicting anyway. Not really all that folky on the new one, more like a quirky version of Springsteen before the stadium swagger took its toll (at least for me).
    I disagree. Raw and garage-y, yes, but done so purposely and I like what it adds to the feel. Would be nice to hear it with a natural dynamic range though.

NP: (MFSL)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I disagree....Would be nice to hear it with a natural dynamic range though.
    Or with any dynamic range. But make up your mind, you either agree or not

I've been listening to Offcell a ton lately and it may be my favorite Pinback music now, and makes me wish it was more than just an EP.
    Good stuff. Cheating, I know, but have you heard Songs From An Old Town We Once Knew? Double CD of singles and unreleased stuff from Three Mile Pilot. Some very choice gems on this one. What a multi-talented group. Sometimes it just all comes into focus, and they are better than either Pinback or Black Heart Procession. Doesn't happen every song, but man when it does ... there was/is a sympatico between those guys that really needs to be preserved. Hope they are serious about finishing a new TMP record.

I have Chief Assassin To The Sinister and it gets a "meh" from me. Maybe I should listen to it again

Pinback good
    Black Heart Procession good
    Three Mile Pilot not so much

fire burns
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

I have Chief Assassin To The Sinister and it gets a "meh" from me. Maybe I should listen to it again

Pinback good
    Black Heart Procession good
    Three Mile Pilot not so much
    I like Pinback a lot, but for me none of their records is as good as Chief Assassin to the Sinister. That one is almost up to the level of Black Heart Procession 2 and 3. Very powerful and adventurous. Pinback is highly likeable, but not very adventurous, and doesn't have the depth that Pall Jenkins brings. But that's what I like. Chief Assassin is almost like a mix of Slint and Pere Ubu, dark and uneasy, even a bit sleazy, but still with a lot of charm. Cover is pretty cool too

Picked up these imports....

Good Stuff, esp. the SACD's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5 latest music purchases-soundofmusic_sa_cover.jpg   5 latest music purchases-bjork_medulla_cover.jpg   5 latest music purchases-ledzep_i_cover.jpg   5 latest music purchases-ledzep_ii_cover.jpg   5 latest music purchases-sarahbrightman_timetosaygoodbye_cover.jpg  

last five ...

Crowded House - "Farewell to the World" DVD/CD
    Midnight Oil - "Flat Chat"
    Steely Dan - "Two Against Nature"
    Steely Dan - "Everything Must Go"
    Crowded House - "Time on Earth"
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    oops, I did it again

went in and picked up BOTH the new Josh Ritter and a copy of Richard Buckner 'Devotion+Doubt' plus used vinyl Steely Dan 'Countdown to Ecstasy'. Just a couple listens in so far but these are both fantastic and were exactly what I was in the mood for as the weather turns here. The sound on Josh R. is pretty drastic and, don't know yet, I guess it seems to sit well with the album's feel. Sure stands out when I put on Devotion+Doubt next and can really crank it up and hear fingers on guitar strings and some ambiance. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyhambone
    oops, I did it again

went in and picked up BOTH the new Josh Ritter and a copy of Richard Buckner 'Devotion+Doubt' plus used vinyl Steely Dan 'Countdown to Ecstasy'.
    Well done, my friend. You're just as bad as the rest of us. Man, I love Countdown to Ecstasy! Probably the only Steely Dan I still love, but made sure about 15 years ago that I got myself a copy of the original ABC black label vinyl before it got scarce, to replace my crappy scratched up not so original copy, and it does sound very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Assassin to the Slosh
    I have Chief Assassin To The Sinister and it gets a "meh" from me. Maybe I should listen to it again...
    Oh, hey ya, I forgot about this, but Pall and Zack and Tom Zinser (Three Mile Pilot) did the Touch & Go 25 year anniversary show last year for owner Corey Rusk, even though TMP were never on that label, only their other bands. Nice professional video from T&G, and lots of amateur stuff too on youtube. Both Zack and Pall do voice overs on the video, but it finishes the last few minutes with a damn fine performance of 97-MT from Chief Assassin. They also kick ass on Shang vs Hanger and some others, but only in lo-fi video. Wish Touch & Go would get the whole show out on DVD. They had a couple cameramen in raincoats shooting through the rain and mist right in front of the stage.

I like Pinback a lot, but for me none of their records is as good as Chief Assassin to the Sinister. That one is almost up to the level of Black Heart Procession 2 and 3.
    Well there you go. I like Amore Del Tropico and The Spell a hell of a lot more than BHP 2 or 3 (still don't have 1 yet).

Oh, a bit off topic but I've been meaning to ask. How is Songs Of Love And Empire as a whole? Her cover of "Cry Baby Cry" is my favorite BeAtles cover by far and would like to think the rest of the album has some merit as well but haven't taken the plunge to find out for myself.

NP:

Oh, a bit off topic but I've been meaning to ask. How is Songs Of Love And Empire as a whole? Her cover of "Cry Baby Cry" is my favorite BeAtles cover by far and would like to think the rest of the album has some merit as well but haven't taken the plunge to find out for myself.
    Yea, that cover is one of the best ever. They were really connected. Love that smokey feel. Needless to say, her own material could never match that, but still a very good record, although most of it is harder 90s alt-rock stuff more reminiscent of someone like Veruca Salt or Alanis than the Beatles. Hard to say what you would think, although I'd probably not intentionally rec it to you. They have 2 minute samples of a few songs at http://cdbaby.com/cd/julieritter and there's an old Mary's Danish performance on youtube

How'd you like that Holopaw? I never picked it up, partly because tentoze said he liked it more than the debut, the reason being that it had less of the atmospherics that I liked so much on the debut (or something like that).

How'd you like that Holopaw? I never picked it up, partly because tentoze said he liked it more than the debut, the reason being that it had less of the atmospherics that I liked so much on the debut (or something like that).
    I don't know about that, it sounds like a logical progression from the debut to me. IOW, if you like one you'll like the other. It's not very much like Ugly Casanova if that's what you mean.

Guess I'll pass on Julie Ritter and just stick with Josh

I've been playing with MediaMonkey 3 beta for a couple of days. Really cool software that makes WMP11 or iTunes seem like a joke. Gotta like a media player that plays pretty much all audio media without plugins (FLAC, ALAC, WMAL, APE, etc., etc.)

NP:

I don't know about that, it sounds like a logical progression from the debut to me. IOW, if you like one you'll like the other. It's not very much like Ugly Casanova if that's what you mean.
    Naw, I was referring more to the outdoors feel, the fireflies, the ambiance. It's the electronic textures they use, very cool. Gives the music a nice dimension. I should get it. Got that new Joe Henry on the way, looking forward to that one. Might be able to push this thread past the 1000 mark, doesn't happen very often around these parts anymore.

Kind of in the midst of a glam fest around my house this weekend. Put a few drops of low trans fat oil in the bearing well, wound up the monkey, and got some Bowie and Mott and Bolan and Reed and a bunch of other transgender vinyl in rotation right now. Along with some fresh tasting St. Pauli Girl.

Rae
    Snap!

Hey, guess what I re-bought yesterday? Jayhawks - Tomorrow the Green Grass. Now that's a record! Still holding out hope of finding it on vinyl, but this CD will do fine for now. So blue!

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    Hey, guess what I re-bought yesterday? Jayhawks - Tomorrow the Green Grass. Now that's a record! Still holding out hope of finding it on vinyl, but this CD will do fine for now.
    That is a good one. Funny, but way back then, the old days of the mid 90s, when the vinyl was cheap and plentiful even at Tower Records, I remember almost popping for it, but I already had the CD, and it honestly wasn't a big enough favorite to justify. I'd probably be more inclined today. They were a great backing band on Joe Henry's Short Man's Room, now there's a record! See how I artfully tie all of these posts together? Sure to break 1000 views before the weekend fades

Van Morrison right now on the tube. Got a pretty cool Luna DVD the last couple days from one of my good buds here. Thanks big, Gramps! As usual, I owe ya one.

How'd you like that Holopaw? I never picked it up, partly because tentoze said he liked it ...
    Another testimonial, dear friends.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Another testimonial, dear friends.
    "Feelings, whoa, whoa, whoa, Feelings..." Hey buddy, thanks for giving my little thread the nudge it needed to break the 1000 mark. Think I might order that new Blanche CD we were talking about in another thread. Didn't realize at the time, but it's not going to be released here until next month, but sure sounds good. Only $7.98 too! Just saw that it's currently topping the charts at the americana.uk site as well ... which probably comes as no surprise since they gave it a 10 out of 10 review ...

I bought PINK by Boris on Saturday. Man that album shreds paint. Shards of feeback, fuzz and distortion reign down upon the listener like Gozilla breath from some forgotten Japanese monster movie. Rawk.

I can't remember the last thing I bought before that. Probably TV On the Radio's COOKIE MOUNTAIN. That one is still sinking its way into my brain.

Been hearing lots of new(er) stuff via the library. Even the new Mastodon.. hehe. Slapped some of it on a comp I did recently. Yes I still make comps. Ha. I like Mew.. a LOT.

Waiting for Something to Go Wrong

01 Death Cab for Cutie - Expo '86
    02 Broken Social Scene - 7, 4 (Shoreline)
    03 Pinback - Concrete Seconds
    04 Silversun Pickups - Checkered Floor
    05 Mew - Why Are You Looking Grave?
    06 TV On The Radio - Province
    07 The Arcade Fire - Intervention
    08 The Flaming Lips - Mr. Ambulance Driver
    09 Voyager One - Ready. Reset.
    10 Tracker - Photograph The Ancestors
    11 Built to Spill - Liar
    12 Wilco - Hate it Here
    13 Califone - Burned by the Christians
    14 British Sea Power - The Lonely
    15 Over the Rhine - Ohio
    16 Tom Waits - The Part You Throw Away
    17 The Black Heart Procession - A Cry For Love
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    Slapped some of it on a comp I did recently. Yes I still make comps. Ha. I like Mew.. a LOT.

Waiting for Something to Go Wrong

01 Death Cab for Cutie - Expo '86
    02 Broken Social Scene - 7, 4 (Shoreline)
    03 Pinback - Concrete Seconds
    04 Silversun Pickups - Checkered Floor
    05 Mew - Why Are You Looking Grave?
    06 TV On The Radio - Province
    07 The Arcade Fire - Intervention
    08 The Flaming Lips - Mr. Ambulance Driver
    09 Voyager One - Ready. Reset.
    10 Tracker - Photograph The Ancestors
    11 Built to Spill - Liar
    12 Wilco - Hate it Here
    13 Califone - Burned by the Christians
    14 British Sea Power - The Lonely
    15 Over the Rhine - Ohio
    16 Tom Waits - The Part You Throw Away
    17 The Black Heart Procession - A Cry For Love
    Wow, pardon my language, but that's a fuckin' good damn looking comp, Jar. Ya know, if I didn't have pretty much that whole set ... you're still the man. Hey, welcome back to the machine, where ya been? Yeah yeah yeah, parental duties and all that bull

Just got Myth Takes by !!! and Civilians by Joe Henry (both in transit), and watched (and loved) the Tell Me Do You Miss Me DVD about the final concert tour of Luna this weekend. Three Mile Pilot still rules, "Sewn to Our Side" at the moment, but "In This Town I Awaken" coming up next, I can already feel the smile forming.

Anxious for the new Akron/Family tomorrow. I haven't loved their last one or two but when they do it, it's good. Pretty good review below that breaks down the songs and their sound and talks up the amazing live show they put on...if you get a chance to see them, do it and you'll talk it up too.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/music/r...ove-is-simple/

Anxious for the new Akron/Family tomorrow. I haven't loved their last one or two but when they do it, it's good. Pretty good review below that breaks down the songs and their sound and talks up the amazing live show they put on...if you get a chance to see them, do it and you'll talk it up too.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/music/r...ove-is-simple/
    I was actually looking for some Akron/Family on Saturday but they didn't have any so I bought the Boris instead. I heard some Akron/Family on college radio a few months back, sounded really interesting.

The Replacements

Wow, pardon my language, but that's a fuckin' good damn looking comp, Jar. Ya know, if I didn't have pretty much that whole set ... you're still the man. Hey, welcome back to the machine, where ya been? Yeah yeah yeah, parental duties and all that bull
    I stumble in here every so often, but yea, family stuff. I post in Head-fi more for some reason. I guess I should hang out here more and support my old-school team.

so I've just been finding other places to talk-up DOWNWARD IS HEAVENWARD and HEX to the un-initiated. same old stuff.

The Replacements

Can't remember if there's much, if any, love for Athens, Goergia's favorite paraplegic reprobate, but got this in the mail yesterday:

Only got one distracted listen, but it was enough to let me know that I like it better than anything he's done since the late '90's. Backed by Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-La-La Band. Even one song with backing vocals by Jeff Mangum. And a decent sounding recording. Me likey.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

^ yeah, that sounds great. I really like Vic's earlier stuff but never felt the need to get more recent releases, think he switched to New West or something and what I heard around was so-so. Heard this hearkens back a bit to his raw and caustic 'tude ('Speed Racer' anyone?). Need to grab it soon.
    Had one good listen to the new Akron/Family today...really, really hit it with this one. The soft fragility, the rawkous caucophony, harmonies like crazy, even a wave your lighter in the air moment or two. Guess I better listen to it again before I start preaching about it...

Had one good listen to the new Akron/Family today...really, really hit it with this one.
    Just ordered a copy of that myself. Glad to hear first impression is good. Won't have mine for awhile. That and PJ Harvey on order, Joe Henry here any time, Dot Allison just shipped, think I better hold off for awhile to soak it all in, especially since I just picked up three books from the library today as well (some sci-fi goodness in Alastair Reynolds Century Rain, Vernor Vinge Across Realtime and Peter Hamilton Pandora's Star).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information