Thread: new to portable

new to portable

I have been a home audio nut all my life and theater guy for part of it (though it takes second to audio) and I have heard and used a lot of equipment plus actually worked it a shop selling high end for a while in the 90's but i am new to the portable audio thing. I just bought a sansa clip 8gb and a 16 gb card and filled it up with part of my collection from my external hard drive since I sure can't take my home system to school with me since I went back to college about a year ago. i have been using it with a pair of $30 dollar sony earbuds which aren't bad but I really had to eq the sansa to keep the bass from being way overbearing but from what I have read that is what they market the cheap earbuds too is kids who like boomy bass. So I ordered just the other day a pair of Grado sr80i's and a Fiio E5 portable headphone amplifier since it was about as small as the sansa and seems to put out good power and I know that going from ear buds to cans can leave you wanting more power from portable players. I hope I have went the right direction since I have heard that the sansa puts out more power than most portables and sometimes enough for cans but I ordered the amp anyway because I figured I could use it for one-to improve the performance of the Grado's and two- to take some of the drain off of the Sansa so it will last longer playing flac files.
    Let me know what you guys think of this setup and I will let you know as soon as everything gets in and I try it myself as well. I just went with what was rated well and seemed to have the sound character I liked which is detailed and natural and nuetral which the grado's are said to have for the money.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Suspended
    Nice choice in the Grados. I have always wondered what my 125s would sound like with an ipod or similar.

Well I will let you know how they work when I get them with and without the added headphone amp since I want to play around with it and see how much of a difference it does make.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Thread Information