AR Newbie Registered Member

Looking for help with miniature USB Dacs.

Hi everyone,

Please bare with me I'm fairly new to buying hardware to improve my music so some of my questions maybe a little dull

I'm looking to buy a new USB Dac because I have a beautiful television and stereo system but my laptop's speakers are absolutely terrible at best. I'm sick and tired of trying to listen to anything on it and I just recently found out what a USB Dac was and well.... I want one. lol

I only have a budget of about $300, but a friend of mine just bought a firestone audio fubar III and absolutely loves it (for reference, this is the website and specs:

Sticking with the firestone theme I since did some research and apparently they are very good value for the cost based on the 2 or 3 reviews I read (if someone can confirm this for me please I would appreciate it). I was wondering what the difference is though between a "24 bit DAC" such as the spitfire (again for reference, here is the specs: I don't really understand what this one does that the fubar does not or vice versa?

I am also open to ANY USB Dac you would recommend to me at my price range. This just stemmed from a friend of mine enjoying his but please by all means suggest anything that I can check out. I don't want to spend my budget on something that I could have ended up with a superior product.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Scott Nixon's USBChibi DAC is a good alternative as are the Headroom Micro DACs

also consider browsing this thread. The Fubar was discussed there.

good luck!

EDIT: Is there a reason why you want a Miniature DAC? Small size is only going to drive cost up. Pacific Valve and Electric offers several USB DACs under $300 and at least one under $200. I've been tempted by the DIYEDEN Great March USB DAC $220 as well as the Fubar.
    Last edited by noddin0ff; 01-29-2008 at 04:38 AM.

I think the fubar is around 300$. i'm trying to get a hold one

Thread Information