Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    PX-200. Word of advice, don't bring anything too expensive to dorms. You either break it, get it stolen, or end up trading it for a bag of whatever that's available...

JRA

Forum Regular
    Haha good point JR. Do you have any idea of places that might be good to go to and listen myself. Thats probably the best approach. How can I locate places that will have a good selection to listen to?

if you go with something not too leaky the library might be a nice choice.

Forum Regular
    Oh I meant any idea of places that would carry a wide variety of headphones for me to audition...

Forum Regular
    Sorry--I didnt sit and read through all the previous posts but...

I am also leaving for college next year and researched your exact question.
    I was able to sample a couple of open cans and IMO, the leaked sound would be very annoying. Also depends on the size of your dorm room i guess.

I went with the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9. It is a closed can for just under $300.00. I have been very happy with them and am in the tail end of burn-in. What I like most was that they are adequately powered off an ipod headphone jack or laptop. I was on a tighter budget so picking up an amp/dac wasn't a reality.

Not sure what you are looking for in terms of amps/dacs (full-size vs portable) but they are said to work extremely well with the Minibox-E which I belive is just a portable amp. I have not had a chance to demo any amps but I have also heard great things about the ibasso boa d2. It is a portable amp/dac for under 200.00

EDIT: You will need to buy an LOD for your ipod in order to run it on an amp

Hope this helps. Just my reccommendation. If you would like anything else, pm.

Forum Regular
    oh...forgot to mention. Dunno about your area, but I found that when you start to shop for high-end headphones, vendors are limited, and those that do sell them, will special order them with a "no return" policy.

Be sure what you order is what you want...or check out the used gear on head-fi or head-case

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Your Audio Technica M40's are wonderful cans! In my opinion you would need to spend lots of cash to get much better. I own the 40's and the ADH AD700s. The 700's I do like more just because they seem to have a spaciousness about them.
    If you are looking for a kick a** amp for them try an old Marantz 2245 or other in that series.You can find them cheap and kill two birds with one stone. Great with loudspeakers or cans. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbolia
    Your Audio Technica M40's are wonderful cans! In my opinion you would need to spend lots of cash to get much better. I own the 40's and the ADH AD700s. The 700's I do like more just because they seem to have a spaciousness about them.
    If you are looking for a kick a** amp for them try an old Marantz 2245 or other in that series.You can find them cheap and kill two birds with one stone. Great with loudspeakers or cans. Just my two cents.
    Ah!! Finally we haved someone who owns a pair of ADH-AD.
    They are the most comfortable pair I have ever tried.
    Unlike Grado, they are not bright and stale. I still can't believe they are still fly under everyone's radar.

Forum Regular
    I concur with "keep it cheap" strategy. I wold recommend Senn PX100, NOT PX200. The 200 is closed, but if you can't get a good fit, they have no bass at all. The 100 is much better, $40 or so, comfortable, great for your use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information