Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky
    I got up and moved about 4' laterally in both directions from the chair, but image quality suffered only slightly.

How do the 1.7s compare to the 1.6s? I'm seeing some incredible bargains start surfacing on the 1.6s lately.

Interesting. When I had my 1.6's, there was like a 12 inch sweet spot, beyond that range there was limited to no imaging. My wife would have to sit on my lap to get the full effect (which in itself, would not be bad).......

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Here's a bunch of planar eye candy-

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86465.0
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular

reply from Raj J

yes, there is a company based in Australia, where I currently live! they continue to make apogee speakers or ones that are quite close to the original. it is based in queensland up north, quite a way from Melbourne. their prices are alright, quite top end though compared to other ribbon designs, you can get a brand new pair of maggies here for just 6 grand. for around 10 grand or little more you can get a MG 20.1. and then for around 15 grand you can get the awesome Quad 2905's. the apogees Graeme Keet is offering up in queensland go for around 17 grand or so, and this is AUD$. I haven't really heard these new designs, I guess they're ok, but they are not original apogees, as compared to Quads or Magneplanars.

Graeme claims them to be excellent, which I am sure they are, since he has been working on apogees & servicing them for over 20 years; the only thing is that at this kind of money 15 grand & above - any interested customer would definitely want to audition them first. hence, this is where the problem is, you cannot really find the newer apogees anywhere for a decent audition. Graeme hand makes them, and are made to order only, . takes a few months to get a pair ready with 50% of the payment.

anyone want to try this - go ahead!
    let us know how it goes...
    cheers, RJ

I stopped by my local (New Orleans) Maggie dealer a couple of weeks ago and spent nearly an hour listening to Dire Straits on a pair of 1.7's. While what I experienced might have also been enhanced by the very expensive Audio Research amps that were driving these speakers, I can only describe the experience as transformative. A lovely sounding speaker full of presence, realism, impact, resolution and the most enormous soundstage I've ever heard. All that and I have no doubt that the dealer could have gotten even more out of these speakers with a bit more care in their placement.

Suffice it to say that I will be ordering a pair of these beauties by this July. I was told the wait for delivery is about a month for the 1.7's. FWIW he did not have the 3.7's available at the time of my visit, but indicated that an order for those would require between a 3 to 4 month wait due to heavy sales overseas and in Asia. I was glad for that because if the 3.7's are even close to worth the price increase over the 1.7's I would have a VERY SERIOUS problem on my hands.

Bitten by the Planar bug!
    Jet Silver And The Dolls Of Venus Span The Space Between Us With A Tune...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred70433 View Post
    I stopped by my local (New Orleans) Maggie dealer a couple of weeks ago and spent nearly an hour listening to Dire Straits on a pair of 1.7's. While what I experienced might have also been enhanced by the very expensive Audio Research amps that were driving these speakers, I can only describe the experience as transformative. A lovely sounding speaker full of presence, realism, impact, resolution and the most enormous soundstage I've ever heard. All that and I have no doubt that the dealer could have gotten even more out of these speakers with a bit more care in their placement.
    Welcome to the club, Fred.

Hi Fred, glad to see another Maggie fan. What equipment will you be pairing the 1.7's with?
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Welcome to the club, Fred.
    Can't wait to actually get the order in.

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Hi Fred, glad to see another Maggie fan. What equipment will you be pairing the 1.7's with?
    I intend to use my existing Jolida 502rc. I spoke with Mike Allen at Jolida about this amp pared with the 1.7's and he believes it will be a good match. The dealer also thought the amp was up to the Maggie's (although I wouldn't turn down his AR VS115.)

I'm an analog addict so I spin vinyl on a Mitchel TecnoDec. I also rely heavily on a vintage Teac X1000R tape deck. (I also have a Dokorder 1120 as a backup).

Phonostage for the time being is the Jolida JD9.

The Fosgate Signature is in the future, but I have to get and then digest the cost of the Maggies first.

Forum Regular
    Well, I've owned a pair of Quad ESL 57's practically all my adult life. I still have no desire to get rid of them, flaws and all. With a REL Strata subwoofer and a good Pathos Classic One, I can't understand what more I would need, unless I was moving to a tiny apartment where I would be confined by limited space, which I'm sure would be a problem for Maggies as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
    I can't understand what more I would need, unless I was moving to a tiny apartment where I would be confined by limited space, which I'm sure would be a problem for Maggies as well.
    Ever heard stacked 57s ?

rw

Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Isn't that just wonderful for US fans?! They now make Apogees in Australia and Germany.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Let me know when you know a good US distributor and i can manage something
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

I ordered a pair of the MG 1.7's this afternoon. Paid in full. Now I just have to wait for them to come in, which I am told will be about 10 days.

This is going to be a V E R Y long 10 days ahead!

Dying to get these in my audio room.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Let me know when you know a good US distributor and i can manage something
    I wish I knew Flo. Unfortunately I'm out of that loop nowadays. I'll put out some feelers and see what happens.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Took delivery of the new MG 1.7's last night. Set them up and listened till aroung 3:00 AM. Got up at 8:00 and started all over again. I'm so amazed at how good these speakers sound. Enormous sound stage with detail, transparency and resloution to go around and back again. I need more power though. As good as the Jolida sounds with the Maggies, it runs out of steam too soon. Still, I'm having a very nice weekend so far. Thank God it's raining outside. Rotten weather and good tunes! Yeah!!!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred70433 View Post
    Took delivery of the new MG 1.7's last night. Set them up and listened till aroung 3:00 AM. Got up at 8:00 and started all over again. I'm so amazed at how good these speakers sound. Enormous sound stage with detail, transparency and resloution to go around and back again. I need more power though. As good as the Jolida sounds with the Maggies, it runs out of steam too soon. Still, I'm having a very nice weekend so far. Thank God it's raining outside. Rotten weather and good tunes! Yeah!!!
    As good as they sound now, they will be a LOT better after 100 hours of break in. You can cut this time significantly by playing some low frequency test tones at moderate level for several hours. Make sure your amp can handle this before doing it though! The mid & high range will only take a few hours to break in and smooth out so your probably there already with them.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information