• 05-10-2006, 10:27 PM
    Florian
    So, whats spinning on your flat panels today?
    Hey guys, whats spinning on your flat panels today? I have a Jazz day today.....pure wonderfull enjoyment..
  • 05-11-2006, 09:35 AM
    JoeE SP9
    Hi Flo!
    So far today it has been.
    Sonny Rollins Saxophone Collosus
    John McLaughlin The Promise
    Eddie Harris The Best Of

    It's still early. Anything could come up next.:cool:
  • 05-11-2006, 11:08 AM
    Florian
    Very cool!

    I had Black Sabbath in today for a visit. But right know its the "Tube Violin" :-)
    I rebuild the audio room into my asian relaxing look and am justing pushing my beasts around a bit but i cant do much. I always sit down and listen and cant get up again.

    Hehe :-)
  • 05-11-2006, 04:50 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Black Sabbath on a Jazz Day?:cool:
  • 05-12-2006, 01:12 AM
    Rick Vansloneker
    1 Attachment(s)
    Tomorrow played The Best Of Santana.

    Yesterday I had my new sat receiver digitally connected to the DCC951 using it as D/A converter. Now I have tons of radio stations to choose from. My favorites where it concerns pop/rock are The Arrow (UK), Radio Top Two (CH) and BBC6 Music (UK).

    Below my satellite dish plant :)
  • 05-14-2006, 04:16 AM
    Florian
    Very cool Rick!

    By the way guys, head over to the Analog section where i presented my new turntale :-)
  • 05-15-2006, 06:40 PM
    bubslewis
    Breaking in new Maggie 1.6's
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    Hey guys, whats spinning on your flat panels today? I have a Jazz day today.....pure wonderfull enjoyment..

    Interesting. While listening to a lot of my not-so-new cd's and records on the new maggies, I find myself getting more comparative enjoyment out of the vinyls than a majority of the cd's. I did recently get a new ( nice, but not-out-of-the-ordinary) cartridge for my TT.

    I'm not sure how much impact a new cartridge has on sound improvement combined with the new speakers, but some of the old vinyls sound just great.

    Today's spins:
    Beatles:Abbey Road Cat Stevens:Tea for the Tillerman Ozark Mtn Daredevils:Car over the Lake Album

    Has cartridge technology/quality substantially improved since I got my previous cartridge (apprx 1989)? Same question for cd's. The large majority of my current cd's are from the 80's and 90's. Are regular cd's manufactured today generally of higher audio quality than those made 15 - 20 years ago?

    p.s. Great pictures of old/new crossovers done by your friend. It looks fairly simple and maybe I'll look into doing that with the 1.6's after a while. Would probably feel much more secure if I could find somebody local who knows what the hell he's doing. I'd have no trouble buying all the parts and paying for the labor.

    Bill
  • 05-15-2006, 10:31 PM
    Rick Vansloneker
    According to this website 'old' CD's sound better.
    Quote:

    ...many music enthusiasts feel that these first pressings offer superior fidelity to later remasters...
  • 05-16-2006, 04:18 AM
    Florian
    Dear Bubslewis,

    the catridges have gotten better, but not all. Your Maggies will show you the differences then most box speaker would have never shown you. Vinyl is a wonderfull medium and has brought me much joy and i have upgraded my table too! As far as the crossover upgrade goes, it is very straight forward and it will vastly improve the speakers transparency, speed, detail and integration. It is a must do for all serious audiophiles (since you owna Maggie, you qualify) :-) I can write a guide for this, and you can copy it if you like.

    -Flo
  • 05-16-2006, 01:35 PM
    bubslewis
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    Dear Bubslewis,

    the catridges have gotten better, but not all. Your Maggies will show you the differences then most box speaker would have never shown you. Vinyl is a wonderfull medium and has brought me much joy and i have upgraded my table too! As far as the crossover upgrade goes, it is very straight forward and it will vastly improve the speakers transparency, speed, detail and integration. It is a must do for all serious audiophiles (since you owna Maggie, you qualify) :-) I can write a guide for this, and you can copy it if you like.

    -Flo


    Well thank you. A guide would be very nice.

    Bill
  • 05-16-2006, 05:41 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bubslewis
    Interesting. While listening to a lot of my not-so-new cd's and records on the new maggies, I find myself getting more comparative enjoyment out of the vinyls than a majority of the cd's. I did recently get a new ( nice, but not-out-of-the-ordinary) cartridge for my TT.

    I'm not sure how much impact a new cartridge has on sound improvement combined with the new speakers, but some of the old vinyls sound just great.

    Today's spins:
    Beatles:Abbey Road Cat Stevens:Tea for the Tillerman Ozark Mtn Daredevils:Car over the Lake Album

    Has cartridge technology/quality substantially improved since I got my previous cartridge (apprx 1989)? Same question for cd's. The large majority of my current cd's are from the 80's and 90's. Are regular cd's manufactured today generally of higher audio quality than those made 15 - 20 years ago?

    p.s. Great pictures of old/new crossovers done by your friend. It looks fairly simple and maybe I'll look into doing that with the 1.6's after a while. Would probably feel much more secure if I could find somebody local who knows what the hell he's doing. I'd have no trouble buying all the parts and paying for the labor.

    Bill

    What you propose is not that difficult. I have a reasonable amount of experience with mods of speakers and amps. Maybe I could be of assistance. I live in Phila. which should not be that far. Send me a PM and maybe we can arrange something.:cool:
  • 05-16-2006, 05:44 PM
    bubslewis
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    Dear Bubslewis,

    the catridges have gotten better, but not all. Your Maggies will show you the differences then most box speaker would have never shown you. Vinyl is a wonderfull medium and has brought me much joy and i have upgraded my table too! As far as the crossover upgrade goes, it is very straight forward and it will vastly improve the speakers transparency, speed, detail and integration. It is a must do for all serious audiophiles (since you owna Maggie, you qualify) :-) I can write a guide for this, and you can copy it if you like.

    -Flo

    This is a great article on upgrading the cross overs in the Maggie 1.6. If the benefits are half what this guy states, it would still be worth it. Now I'm starting to think.....

    http://www.precisioncomputer.com/oce...p/whatspec.htm

    Bill
  • 05-16-2006, 05:50 PM
    Florian
    Yup!

    It doesnt matter what class your in, a crossover upgrade will improve them tremendesly. Without beeing arrogant, even on my State of the Art speaker which is superb to the Magnepan 20.1 in every way you can get much more out of them with a crossover upgrade.

    Go for it :ihih:
  • 05-16-2006, 05:51 PM
    Florian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    What you propose is not that difficult. I have a reasonable amount of experience with mods of speakers and amps. Maybe I could be of assistance. I live in Phila. which should not be that far. Send me a PM and maybe we can arrange something.:cool:

    Now that is a kick ass offer, i would buy some good beer, good food and bust out that soldering iron. But please guys, use silver platted copper rails on the crossovers, i will host a picture soon. Once you get the same internal witing as the capacitor feet its awsome!

    Mundorf Supreme Foil Spools are a must, and the Mundorf Supreme Caps are incredible too. Lucky for you the 1.6 doesnt have many parts, the DIVA has a ****load of parts which raises the price to an insane level.
  • 05-17-2006, 02:12 PM
    bubslewis
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    What you propose is not that difficult. I have a reasonable amount of experience with mods of speakers and amps. Maybe I could be of assistance. I live in Phila. which should not be that far. Send me a PM and maybe we can arrange something.:cool:


    Hey, that's very gracious of you. I live south of York, along the MD. border. So Philly would be in the ball park, distance wise. I'll PM you if I decide to proceed. Have to work on identifying and getting the right parts. Thanks, again.

    Bill
  • 05-18-2006, 05:21 PM
    bubslewis
    Upgrading Maggie 1.6 x-over - Step 1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    Now that is a kick ass offer, i would buy some good beer, good food and bust out that soldering iron. But please guys, use silver platted copper rails on the crossovers, i will host a picture soon. Once you get the same internal witing as the capacitor feet its awsome!

    Mundorf Supreme Foil Spools are a must, and the Mundorf Supreme Caps are incredible too. Lucky for you the 1.6 doesnt have many parts, the DIVA has a ****load of parts which raises the price to an insane level.

    OK. Step 1: Identify parts needed. Please remember that my electrical knowledge ranks somewhere between high-dummy and very-low-moderate.
    Capacitors
    Inductors
    wire
    some kind of board or platform
    What else? (what exactly are "rails on the crossovers"?)

    Starting with the caps:
    The piece I read about the guy who upgraded crossovers in Maggie 1.6 was written in 2,000. At that time the total capacitance of the caps was 22 microfarads. I'm betting that hasn't changed up to now, but how can I verify that (short of cutting open the back of the speaker and looking at them)?

    Assuming 22 microfarads is still valid, I would need at least 2 caps per speaker, one each for low pass and high pass (?). They would ideally be 11 microfarads each. However No one I looked at so far manufactures 11 microfarad caps.

    "MusiCaps" by HOVLAND look good with a three cap arrangement of 7, 7, and 8 microfarads totalling 22. This would run about $106 per speaker.

    Mundorfs are a bit more expensive. They list their cap capacitance out 2 decimal places (eg 8.20) and I can't come up with a combination that will total 22 microfarads.

    Am also confused by operating voltage. HOVLAND lists their caps in "WVDC" @ 100V. Mundorf list theirs in "VDC" @ either 800 or 1200.

    If I had to choose now I'd probably go with the HOVLANDs like that other guy did. Other suggestions?

    thanks,
    Bill
  • 05-18-2006, 05:32 PM
    Florian
    Hello there,

    I personally run Mundorf Supreme and they are exellent. But Hovland makes wonderfull parts too, so choose whicheveron is easier for you. Mundorf makes 22uF capacitors which you can use. I run 12 of them in my DIVA crossover. Do not worry about a few decimals off spec, this doesnt make a difference. Please use Mundorf "FOIL ONLY SPOOLS". As for wiring, i can recommend silver plated copper rails since they are the same resistance as the capacitor feet. I would extend the internal wires and build a external platform or box in which to house the crossover.

    Make sure you make it for biwiring and i can recommend Eichman Terminals or direct wiring.

    -Flo


    This was my BETA VERSION, the NEW one is MUCH prettier!

    http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/...61DSCF0016.JPG
  • 05-19-2006, 06:57 PM
    bubslewis
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    Hello there,

    I personally run Mundorf Supreme and they are exellent. But Hovland makes wonderfull parts too, so choose whicheveron is easier for you. Mundorf makes 22uF capacitors which you can use. I run 12 of them in my DIVA crossover. Do not worry about a few decimals off spec, this doesnt make a difference. Please use Mundorf "FOIL ONLY SPOOLS". As for wiring, i can recommend silver plated copper rails since they are the same resistance as the capacitor feet. I would extend the internal wires and build a external platform or box in which to house the crossover.

    Make sure you make it for biwiring and i can recommend Eichman Terminals or direct wiring.

    -Flo


    This was my BETA VERSION, the NEW one is MUCH prettier!

    http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/...61DSCF0016.JPG

    Hi. Thanks for the info.

    Question: Discounting the differences in size, are there any advantages or disadvantages to using a single 22uF capacitor vs. using a 3 combination capacitor array that totals 22uF? The 22uF Mundorf Supreme would be less expensive than the 3 way Hovland combo.

    thanks,
    Bill
  • 05-20-2006, 08:09 AM
    JoeE SP9
    The total capacitance is what matters. It does look neater and more elegant when you use only one. Sometimes using a combination will allow closer matching from left to right. It is more important that the component values match in each crossover than anything else. For example it is better to have 23mf capacitors in each crossover than a 21mf in one and 23mf in the other. The same applies for any resistors. Some retailers will value match components for a small additional fee. If you can get parts matched this way try to do so. If you do not value match components in each crossover you will not get the same crossover frequencys and slopes for each crossover. The closer each speaker sounds to each other the better the overall sound. Matching within 1% is desirable.:cool:
  • 05-21-2006, 03:20 PM
    Florian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bubslewis
    Hi. Thanks for the info.

    Question: Discounting the differences in size, are there any advantages or disadvantages to using a single 22uF capacitor vs. using a 3 combination capacitor array that totals 22uF? The 22uF Mundorf Supreme would be less expensive than the 3 way Hovland combo.

    thanks,
    Bill

    Well, it depends on the design. My Apogees have internal rails for over 100 Ampere of current. And beating that amount trough 8 or 2 feet is a difference ;-)

    I would go with 2x 11's....
  • 05-21-2006, 03:42 PM
    Feanor
    Speaking of caps, how about these?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bubslewis
    ...

    Starting with the caps:
    The piece I read about the guy who upgraded crossovers in Maggie 1.6 was written in 2,000. At that time the total capacitance of the caps was 22 microfarads. I'm betting that hasn't changed up to now, but how can I verify that (short of cutting open the back of the speaker and looking at them)?

    Assuming 22 microfarads is still valid, I would need at least 2 caps per speaker, one each for low pass and high pass (?). They would ideally be 11 microfarads each. However No one I looked at so far manufactures 11 microfarad caps.

    "MusiCaps" by HOVLAND look good with a three cap arrangement of 7, 7, and 8 microfarads totalling 22. This would run about $106 per speaker.

    Mundorfs are a bit more expensive. They list their cap capacitance out 2 decimal places (eg 8.20) and I can't come up with a combination that will total 22 microfarads.

    Am also confused by operating voltage. HOVLAND lists their caps in "WVDC" @ 100V. Mundorf list theirs in "VDC" @ either 800 or 1200.

    If I had to choose now I'd probably go with the HOVLANDs like that other guy did. Other suggestions?

    thanks,
    Bill

    Given the recommendation that an MG 1.6QR crossover upgrade is a good thing, I started looking around at capacitors that I might use.

    So for 22uF of capacitance I could use, say, two 10uF plus one 2uF MusiCaps, total price per side US$205.20 from Madisound -- not exactly cheap.


    Alternatively I could use Solen Teflon FEP Film & Tin Foil capacitors...

    4 x 10uF 1000volt @ US$428.84 = $1715.36
    4 x 1uF 1000volt @ $52.94 = $211.76
    Total: US$1927.12
    Seems a little over the top!
  • 05-22-2006, 07:35 AM
    bubslewis
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Feanor
    Given the recommendation that an MG 1.6QR crossover upgrade is a good thing, I started looking around at capacitors that I might use.

    So for 22uF of capacitance I could use, say, two 10uF plus one 2uF MusiCaps, total price per side US$205.20 from Madisound -- not exactly cheap.


    Alternatively I could use Solen Teflon FEP Film & Tin Foil capacitors...

    4 x 10uF 1000volt @ US$428.84 = $1715.36
    4 x 1uF 1000volt @ $52.94 = $211.76
    Total: US$1927.12
    Seems a little over the top!

    Feanor, your cost estimate puzzles me. Here's a cost estimate (US dollar) I come up with so far:

    Per speaker:
    One 22uF Mundorf Supreme capacitor - $89 (available at MadiSound)
    One 3.5mH air core foil inductor (the spool) - $58 (available from Alpha Core Inc.)*
    12 guage silver plated copper wire** - $15
    Connectors (if necessary) - $20 estimated
    Some kind of board - $0
    Hands on assistance from JoeE SP9 - $Priceless$

    Estimated cost per speaker - $180. Have I missed something?

    ** Florian, when you say silver plated copper rails do you mean the wires?
    * Florian. I can't seem to find any USA dealers for Mundorf spools.

    Thanks,
    Bill
  • 05-23-2006, 02:16 PM
    bubslewis
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    The total capacitance is what matters. It does look neater and more elegant when you use only one. Sometimes using a combination will allow closer matching from left to right. It is more important that the component values match in each crossover than anything else. For example it is better to have 23mf capacitors in each crossover than a 21mf in one and 23mf in the other. The same applies for any resistors. Some retailers will value match components for a small additional fee. If you can get parts matched this way try to do so. If you do not value match components in each crossover you will not get the same crossover frequencys and slopes for each crossover. The closer each speaker sounds to each other the better the overall sound. Matching within 1% is desirable.:cool:

    Found a great web site called MUG (Magnepan Users Group). http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG. In the "Tweaks" section they have just about everything about upgrading Magnepan crossovers: pictures (thank god), schematics, step-by-step instructions, recommended parts, wiring, minimum/maximum costs, how to cut the speaker cloth, etc. Really first rate.

    So............I'm gonna try and change out the capacitors and the spool first by myself. All the experts on the MUG site recommend doing this prior to upgrading the wiring. Will go with the Hovland capacitors 7,7,8 uf combo and the Alpha Core air core foil inductor. Should run about $320 for both speakers.

    Also printed out "How to solder" from some web site, since I don't believe I've ever soldered anything in my entire life. Actually the soldering and cutting open the speaker cloth are what scare me the most.

    JoeE SP9, thanks again for your offer of assistance. I still may need some help at some point here.
  • 05-23-2006, 04:44 PM
    Feanor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bubslewis
    Feanor, your cost estimate puzzles me. Here's a cost estimate (US dollar) I come up with so far:

    Per speaker:
    One 22uF Mundorf Supreme capacitor - $89 (available at MadiSound)
    One 3.5mH air core foil inductor (the spool) - $58 (available from Alpha Core Inc.)*
    12 guage silver plated copper wire** - $15
    Connectors (if necessary) - $20 estimated
    Some kind of board - $0
    Hands on assistance from JoeE SP9 - $Priceless$

    Estimated cost per speaker - $180. Have I missed something?

    ** Florian, when you say silver plated copper rails do you mean the wires?
    * Florian. I can't seem to find any USA dealers for Mundorf spools.

    Thanks,
    Bill

    Priceless indeed. Thanks, bubs. No, I don't see that you missed a thing.

    Let me ask, though, are multiple parallel capacitors and/or a by-pass cap good ideas?
  • 05-23-2006, 11:47 PM
    Rick Vansloneker
    Is it correct the MG12's are only $1099,00 a pair in the US? Will there be additional costs like taxes?