Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Beware for fake high-end offers from scammers

In the internet like on Ebay but not only there you may find a lot of tempting offers for high-end equipment including Magnepans, Quads, amps, you name it it's there. Most are from integer people but a large number of offerings are from scammers.

They offer desirable goods at a to-good-to-be-true price. Probably, in most situations they don't even have the advertized ware. If you bid the auctions are cancelled. The ads are intended to lure you into shady business and to rob you of your money.

The scammers use hacked usernames. Also they create usernames and feedback over a longer period of time, thus cultivating a good image that will be abused in deals that will generate money.

A site dedicated to Ebay scammers can be found here, tips to avoid being scammed are listed here.
    Rick Vansloneker

Magnepan HT User
    Rick,

Definitely agree with you 100%. I have seen many times in the last couple of months, one scammer using the same Magnepan 3.5 picture asking you to contact him directly vs. using the "Ask a Seller a Question" feature on eBay. I have requested eBay to shut this person's auction down at least ten times. To eBay's credit, they have done an excellent job to shut this person auction down everytime he posts. I haven't seen the Magnepan 3.5 ad in a couple of weeks. The hijacked user ID seems to be more prevalent these days on eBay. Buyer beware when the seller asks you to contact them directly via their own "personal" e-mail.

Slbenz

Audio Enthusiast
    There is a good article in eBay forums regarding account hijacking and how to prevent it. Paypal also has good information on protecting your account.

Many classic eBay scams are documented in their forums as well as in many books. Unfortunately, many people let their emotions overcome their better judgement when a questionable seller offers diserable items for sale.

I watched the Magnepan 3.5 ads. It was amazing the persistence of the fraudulent seller. As long as there are buyers willing to send him money, he will continue to post new ads under different names.

As with anything, it is best to become as educated as possible in order to prevent becoming a victim.

And for experienced buyers like SLBENZ to continue to point out criminals lurking in wait for unsuspecting victims. Thanks for your diligence!

Speaking of 3.5s....
    here's one on a hacked account

Bad category: Sporting Goods > Tennis > Racquets > Yonex
    One day auction
    Not allowed by Ebay: Buy it now Price 1200$
    Cannot read or reply?: I cannot get in touch with you if you use the "Ask seller a question" option
    Cannot empty mail boxes?: because i've reached the e-mail storage limit
    Mail address is listed 4 times in a row: [code]safeebaybuy@aol.com[/code]
    Shipping policy reads: Available to United States only
    but advertises: free shipping(worldwide)

Rick Vansloneker

Magnepan HT User
    Rick,

That's the one. The Walton, KY person who was very persistant for several weeks. Everytime I saw his/her ad, I reported it to eBay and they would shut down the auction. Thanks for pointing out the various discrepencies within this person's ad and sharing with us. Now back to my newest project, repairing one of my Magnepan IIIas midrange panel. Just picked up a used pair over the Memorial Day weekend and didn't realize one of the midrange panels was out. Luckily called Magnepan and spoke with Steve Winey, Jim Winey's son who told me they sell a DIY midrange repair kit for $50.00! Much better deal than shipping the speakers back for a total rebuild. Once I repair this one speaker, my home theater will have four Magnepan IIIas in each corner of my 5.1 system. Wish me luck on the repair.

Slbenz

Mr. Admaro is even more persistant as the MG 3.3 seller. We've seen this ad dozens of times in the past weeks. The images and text are copied and advertized by Chinese and Taiwanese auctioneers.

Again listed in weirdest categories, this time Cars, Parts & Vehicles > Car Tuning & Styling > Exterior Styling > Decals

This is a stolen user account. The user is from Philippines, yet the speakers should locate in London, United Kingdom.

In every ad he uses this exact line [code]You can buy it now for 800 euros. Contact me at admaro@msn.com[/code] sometimes 600 or 1000 or so euros.

Rick Vansloneker

Mr. Admaro has numerous offerings on Ebay:

Rick Vansloneker

Magnepan HT User
    Rick,

I put in the report to eBay. Let's see how fast they can shut this guy down.

Slbenz

Thanks slbenz. But you know he will be back, and back, and back
    Rick Vansloneker

The Chinese ad, notice the same text and pictures as Mr. Admaro uses.

Rick Vansloneker

Say hello to an old friend. Mr. Admaro changed his username and moved from Philippines to the USA. But the Mags had to stay in London.

Rick Vansloneker

Magnepan HT User
    These guys never learn to quit! Looks like we'll have to keep on reporting them to eBay and shut them down. When will it ever end?????

Slbenz

Slbenz, Mr. Admaro says hello from Australia and became a power seller to! What a mighty career.

Rick Vansloneker

Audio Enthusiast
    Wow, he just keeps coming back with another face on. That's probably 15 or 20 times I've seen him post. Maggie prospective buyers much be a lucrative bunch since he continues to target them. And he would not persist if his scam weren't profitable.

Thanks for your diligence!

Audio Enthusiast
    eBay has some good articles on prevention of Account theft. They also recommend unique passwords for eBay and another for Paypal account.

What is fascinating is the level of sophistication that are employed. One of the most successful is the eBay confirmation of purchase that is sent to eBay users. There is a "Dispute Sale" button at the bottom to report the fraudulent sale. The entire message looks absolutely legitimate but the link goes to a website in Asia. Researching the spoof I find that the link installs a bot on your local harddrive that enables your computer to cache and forward passwords and account login information to an unknown perpetrator somewhere in Asia. He then uses that information to infiltrate your accounts.

Even the most astute eBayers have fallen for this clever scam.

And for the people responding to their ads they have fake Shipping Companies and fake Escrow Services.
    Rick Vansloneker

I got in touch with safebuy and now the speakers were in Romania, not Walton, Kentucky, United States, as advertized. But I told him or them that I have a branch in a nearby town and I could collect them there and save the shipping so he might give a price cut. But he never replied to me

How can anybody drop in such stupid mails I can't understand: no name, no address, no information just stupid hammering how the deal should be made.

Thank you for your interest in my sale! I want you to know I cannot accept financing because time is a real issue for me,this is why I am looking for a cash buyer.The purchase price is $1200 US including shipping and insurance.
    The item is in Europe,Romania where I own an electric store and it will be shipped from here
    on my expense.
    I am requesting full secure payment. If you are not 100% satisfied with
    this item,you will ship it back on my expense and you will receive your
    entire payment back. I am sure this will not happen, because it is a state of
    the art products and you will have no reason to reject it. My experience in
    the sale business proved to me that quality is the key element to have a
    successful business. Good faith and passion for winning has always been
    my top priority and my most valued business approach. This is why I chose
    ONLY secure pay. I prefer the payment to be hold by a third party and only
    after you receive the product the payment has to be released to me..
    Using a third party, you will be 100% secure that you will receive your
    item after making the payment. I will be 100% secure that I will receive
    the payment after you will receive and inspect the product. If you are not
    satisfied with this or you find it not being as advertised, you can
    reject it and you will receive your entire payment back. It's the best
    solution for an international purchase, don't you agree?
    First you have to know that shipping and payment will be done via Shipping.EurCargo is a
    shipping company that also acts as a third party and intermediate between the buyer and the seller.It is specialized in international transactions having offices all over the world.
    Here are just a few facilities Shipping.EurCargo offers its clients
    a) If you will not receive the item as i described to you,although this is not the
    case,Shipping.EurCargo will refund you with 100% from the whole amount which you
    paid me.Even in case you will not receive the item,they will refund you the money.
    b)You will send the payment to a Shipping.EurCargo representative and you will give the payment details to them, i won't know anything about the payment until you received the item.The item is taken to their warehouse for check ups and remains in their possession.After you sent the payment they ship it using their own Air Cargo service. Shipping will be 100% insuranced and will last just 3-4 days.
    Important :
    In order to start a case with EscrowEuropa and start the transaction i will need your your email address. After that they will notify you all the details regarding the shipping and payment.
    So here it is how it works:
    You send me your email address. With it i start a case at www.Shipping.EurCargo.com
    (please do check their website) and register our transaction: Seller details, Buyer details, Item details, Price and Shipping address. As soon as i did that i am required to take the item and its papers at their warehouse here in Braila Romania and leave it there.They check the item see if it fits the description and pack it for shipping.They will notify you by email immediately as they receive the item with the payment and shipping details. You send them the payment and they ship the item to your address. They will provide you with a tracking number that you can check at any time on their website and see how much time it remains until it reaches you. After you received the item they simply send me the money and the transaction is completed.
    The whole process usually takes 3-4 days.

I have made several deals working with them and i am very pleased. They are very reliable, their Customer Department answer very fast and i never had a problem.
    Rick Vansloneker

Forum Regular
    Hey guys found this forum searching a shady listing on ebay guess who it is ? http://cgi.ebay.com/Precision-Power-...QQcmdZViewItem
    He has a whole slew of things under this name . I am trying to report it and dont seem to be getting anywhere. If anyone can help please please do .. Thanks
    John

Btw i didnt lose anything from him just concerned

Forum Regular
    http://search-desc.ebay.com/admaro-m...roQ40msnQ2ecom
    Heres all 130 of his auctions spaniing diffrent id's

Hint search his fake email in the titles and descriptions

Two more pairs of MG3.3s. Man there must be dozens of them. Mindless I bet all of the pictures and descriptions are fake and stolen from others.

Why doesn't Ebay have a filter that sorts out the known clues like admaro, or safebuy?

And how come these crooks still haven't lost their email accounts?

Rick Vansloneker

Rick Vansloneker

Forum Regular
    Im not sure my friend .. I only hope people realize to google anything suspicious .. This thread has seriously saved me some time and money .. Hope others see it

Busy day for admaro:

Rick Vansloneker

Audio Enthusiast
    I found at least 16 listed items using the "SuperCrewGoat" ID. This guy masquerades as several different IDs simultaneously selling all manner of high end gear. I guess all it would take is one unsuspecting buyer to "Buy it Now" for it to be worth all his effort.

Todays attempt:

Rick Vansloneker

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information