Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    To Dusty: Yes, they are insane!
    No no. He said YOU'RE insane.

There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    As a student of electrostats, you really need to listen to a pair of A-1/M-1/U-1s.

rw
    My room just isn't large enough for the ones that have enough bass. Oh, the pity!
    PS: I do have a lead on a pair of Acoustat Model 6's. That's 6 panels per side. Three wide and two high (7'10"x28"x3"). Kind of like 2+2's on steroids! They will just fit my room and have enough area to allow me to do away with my subs!
    PPS: They are affordable!!!!
    Last edited by JoeE SP9; 10-09-2006 at 07:33 AM.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

My friend, congratulations

Now that saves some money for you, but if you have some cash laying around give the Synergys a try. You know what i mean
    Easy to drive 2.5ohms and 95db efficency.....mmmh 110db plus with 20Hz flat...tasty
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    PS: I do have a lead on a pair of Acoustat Model 6's. That's 6 panels per side. ...They will just fit my room and have enough area to allow me to do away with my subs!
    PPS: They are affordable!!!!
    I have heard the newer Spectra 66 which is also a six panel model. Let me preface my current opinion. You will not find a greater enthusiast than me for Acoustats. I lived happily with four different pairs for over twenty five years. I met Bob Rieman and Jim Strickland when they first released the model X. They are excellent speakers. I tweaked mine a bit by rewiring them and bypassing the fuses. They are not, however, in the same league as the Sound Labs. Acoustats have a decided tonal personality and are a challenge to set up to minimize beaming. The nature of the SL design is for a much greater dispersion. The toroidal transformers and generally speaking, better parts, also makes for a higher resolution speaker. Not to mention it is a supportable product. One of the panels in my 2+2 arced and I could never fix it, despite cleaning and "popping" them.

As for cost, I bought mine used just having been refurbed and shipped from the factory with the latest panels and upgraded "backplates". There are some like that available now for a reduced price.

Scroll down the page a bit

You really need to hear them both for yourself. Upon hearing her favorite records, my wife commented "they are not there". Sonically, they simply disappear.

Good luck in your hunting. There are lots of good choices around.

rw

What is the ideal room size if they are 6 panels per side?

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    What is the ideal room size if they are 6 panels per side?
    I don't know what "ideal" is. My room is approximately 14'x32'x9'. I live in a Phila. row home. I knocked down the wall between my living and dining room to make one large listening room. The model 6's and the Spectra 66/6600's are 28" wide and approx. 94" tall. They were designed to be used with 8' ceilings.
    PS: I'm currently a bachelor and have no significant other to be concerned about.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    My friend, congratulations

Now that saves some money for you, but if you have some cash laying around give the Synergys a try. You know what i mean
    Easy to drive 2.5ohms and 95db efficency.....mmmh 110db plus with 20Hz flat...tasty
    The idea sounds terrific Flo. I'm just not ready to fork out $20K+. You see, I've been looking at this Cayman. You know what I mean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information