Would you wear Seal Team 6 Gear?

Every military clothing outfitter I know is rushing or allowing pre-ordering of Seal Team 6 gear. I personally have plenty of Army Tee's and some Tuskegee Gear, but I wouldn't wear anything emblazoned with an active duty unit I didn't serve in. The Airmen no longer exists, and I'm obviously too young to have flown with them. This stuff is different. Would you wear it?

Worf

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    ...I wouldn't wear anything emblazoned with an active duty unit I didn't serve in.
    Agree 100%

Even further, when I got out of the service in the early 70's, young kids draped in military gear and talking the talk as if they served, which they didn't. used to disgust me. ...still does.

I feel the same about the NYFD/PD gear that's become popular since 9/11
    Last edited by markw; 05-10-2011 at 06:06 AM.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Agree 100%

Even further, when I got out of the service in the 70's, young kids draped in military gear and talking the talk as if they served, which they didn't. used to disgust me. ...still does.

I feel the same about the NYFD/PD gear that's become popular since 9/11

Yup yup to the sentiments of both these gentlemen. Wearing them would be disrespectful and IMO a false statement of accoomplishment or association.

I extend this line of thinking to hi-end consumer products as well. Every once in a while you'll see see some douchebag wearing a Porsche hat while climbing into a Monte Carlo...harharhar...duuuude. Pathetic.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I agree with the previous comments. I have not served my country as a member of the military. I would not wear anything that might lead someone to believe I served. Of course I am from the days when they did ask and I would have told. Oh and I am so far from a Seal when it comes to physical fitness that I would be better off wearing walrus gear.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

authentic gear is a no no, But I could see T-shirts with "I support our troops" and so on. I agree with you Worf, I could not even see myself wearing gear from the Tuskegee group, for I never served in the Air Force. I would like to get something for my Dad he's a 20yr USAF. I would like to find something from the Montford point Marines (First Black Marines). Believe me the Navy will ride this horse all the way to the bank:

Recruitment and Extra funding

Funny how that story about the new stealth helo got hushed up real fast. lucky no one got a pic of one. just like back in Panama when they first used the F117, the only reason they fessed up cuz someone got a pic of one.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Maybe someone here can help with that:

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    I would like to get something for my Dad he's a 20yr USAF. I would like to find something from the Montford point Marines (First Black Marines). :
    http://www.mpma28.com/page/page/3125770.htm

Thanks Sticks, I have been to there official web site, but they do not offer much of anything to buy.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Worf

Living here in Virginia Beach the home of several SEAL teams and a large military population it would not be a good move to go around here wearing gear of active units.

In many cases there are auxillaries set up by the wives and friends of active units which sell memorabilia and merchandise associated with specific units. Sales of items by these groups almost always goes 100% to the support of active military, their families or veterans. As SEAL team 6 is not acknowledged to exist, anyone or any group that is selling anything that reportedly goes to members of the team or their families is running a scam.

If you want to show your support of the military or veterans there are plenty of groups and organizations who are doing great work in this area. It would be a better use of your money than buying knock off gear/clothing.

Just my 2 cents.....
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I wouldn't wear it for fashion purposes, but I don't see the big deal. I'm sure the real cats aren't so superficial to take offence, and probably have some cool super secret official swag available to members only anyway.

Forum Regular

Agreed...I'd prefer to show support for all the troops

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    authentic gear is a no no, But I could see T-shirts with "I support our troops" and so on. I agree with you Worf, I could not even see myself wearing gear from the Tuskegee group, for I never served in the Air Force. I would like to get something for my Dad he's a 20yr USAF. I would like to find something from the Montford point Marines (First Black Marines). Believe me the Navy will ride this horse all the way to the bank:

Recruitment and Extra funding

Funny how that story about the new stealth helo got hushed up real fast. lucky no one got a pic of one. just like back in Panama when they first used the F117, the only reason they fessed up cuz someone got a pic of one.
    I've never served in the armed forces and would not even think of wearing authentic armed forces gear. Showing T-shirt support messages or other support is the way I'd prefer.

Wanna bet?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I wouldn't wear it for fashion purposes, but I don't see the big deal. I'm sure the real cats aren't so superficial to take offence, and probably have some cool super secret official swag available to members only anyway.
    Click here.

Now, wearing stuff that says something like "I Support Whatever" is a different story.

Yea, Mark, I just read a story about a Pastor in PA that got busted lying about being a Seal member.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    I would not put posing or falsifying a resume in the same category as wearing gear but I would agree that someone who has not earned the right to wear the gear is not looked at warmly by the military community. When we were kids it was okay to wear some of my Dad's unis and we even had Sharpshooter medals but we were kids. Around the bases we lived in, once someone got to the age in which they could serve no one walked around in any gear - not even combat boots. May be that was extreme but it was what it was.

Kex-I know you might not consider it a big deal but military apparel is not exactly like wearing the jersey of your favorite sports team. Most people wearing sports gear are not mistaken for members of that team. Nor do athletes normally go around wearing their uniforms in everyday public settings. That is not the case with military personnel who routinely wear their uniforms in public. Even if the people wearing the gear are not passing themselve off in public as members of these units some people may be confused and the wearers may be tempted to take advantage of that confusion.
    Last edited by thekid; 05-12-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

No, but then I avoid T-shirts and any sort of garments that have a logo or slogan. It's kinda hard, though, to avoid the Nike "swoosh", or the like, on sports shoes or ball caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    No, but then I avoid T-shirts and any sort of garments that have a logo or slogan. It's kinda hard, though, to avoid the Nike "swoosh", or the like, on sports shoes or ball caps.
    Bill...god bless your heart, you always remind me of the onomatopoetic appropriateness of the word "frumpy".

If you want to wear the gear it is available, see your local recruiter, they will see that you are properly outfitted.

Jim
    Fairchild 412-1B SME arm Pickering XSV-3000
    Thorens Weight
    GAS Thoebe
    Grant Fidelity B-283
    California Audio Labs Delta Transport
    Paradesea DAC
    DBX-3BX-DS
    Sansui TU-7700
    Adcom 585
    Hafler Pro 500
    Tara Labs Cable
    Legacy Classic's

Tube system Scott 299B, Thorens TD-160, Klipsch Heresy's

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Bill...god bless your heart, you always remind me of the onomatopoetic appropriateness of the word "frumpy".
    Oh yeah -- or "grumpy" -- or "dumpy" for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    The Lands'End catalog is my fashion creed, 'Sticks.

Suspended

Disney Withdraws 'SEAL Team 6' Trademark Bid

http://www.popeater.com/2011/05/26/d...trademark-bid/

The Navy wasn't too happy about it...

Thread Information