Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

We adopted a kitty today!

Well, maybe not so much a kitty as a 6-yr-old, 17 pound cat. His name is Brandy (can we change the name of 6-yr-old cat?). I actually went in to learn more about a rabbit that I saw on Friday. But then I fell in love with this cat and called Hubby to come and meet him. Two hours later we were taking him home.

We've just been letting him wander around the house and get used to things tonight. So far he's been very affectionate and he's eating and drinking (from the toilet!). He doesn't seem to be too interested in the Guinea Pigs but I'm going to put them in my office and close the door tonight and tomorrow while we're at work, just in case.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 01-04-2009 at 05:42 PM.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Happy for you and your new "kitty." Maybe if he really is a he, you should change his name to Brandon or Brandan. Also, please don't take offense, but I think you should take 17 lb Brandon to see Jenny Craig!

RR6

PS: Kitties need lots of kisses!

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    Happy for you and your new "kitty." Maybe if he really is a he, you should change his name to Brandon or Brandan. Also, please don't take offense, but I think you should take 17 lb Brandon to see Jenny Craig!

RR6

PS: Kitties need lots of kisses!
    Oh, sure on FA's thread you post an adorable picture of a kitty. On my thread with my children present you post two disgusting pictures of ladies of dubious rep. Nice.

Enjoy the cat FA. As long as you keep an eye on it, the piggys should be ok.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Suspended
    Cute cat FA (well sorta). Has it been to the vet yet? One of my cats was overweight for most of her life and that led to diabetes. Blood and urine tests bore out what the vet said when I noticed Thelma drinking a lot of water and making frequent trips to the cat box. A change of diet (prescription) was called for and now she's free of the disease and about 3 pounds.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Nice cat, looks a lot like my wife's...we named her Maple because of the color.
    My wife is a sucker for adopting mature animals, she's a softie when it comes to pets. We have 2 cats we got a bit older...the dog we got after a family couldn't handle him as a puppy after only 3 days?

She applauds your commitment and thanks you for rescuing him. Most don't get a second a chance and I'm sure Brandy (or whatever you call him) is in good hands.

17 pounds huh? That's a fairly big kitty. Congrats. Cats can be a lot of fun. As far as changing his name, does he answer to his current name? Many cats won't, even though they do know their name.
    We have two cats with totally different personalities. One is a fat cat who loves to spend time with us. She'll climb on the lap of whoever sits down first. The other is a tiny little 5 pounder who is never around. She just wants to be outside hunting 24/7. She comes home long enough to eat and leave.
    Enjoy the new kitty. Don't forget to get him something (other than your furniture) to scratch on.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Must....

Must hold back.

There are SO MANY jokes that I could make in this thread but I won't....

Da "Modicum of Decorum" Worfster

Suspended
    Yeah, Worf eats guinnea pigs and cats too!

Thanks everyone. Once the cat settles in, he'll be put on a weight loss program. For now we're just free-feeding so that he feels comfortable and if he wants to do some emotional eating to reduce the stress he can.

He's in good health and we have a vet's certificate, coincidentally from a vet whose office is across the street from us and will probably become his regular vet.

Two weeks ago he had his teeth cleaned and two bad teeth removed. A series of blood tests were done at that time and everything came back normal. He stayed with a foster family while he recovered and they reported that he is an affectionate cat who needs a lot of attention.

He spent part of last night sleeping on our bed, keeping my feet warm. He left us around midnight, but then came back to our bed around 6:00am. He seems to be making himself right at home. Although he is still a little jumpy. I left him this morning, perched on a stack of boxes in the corner of our basement where he could see everything and not be snuck up on. But he was all purrs and cuddles when I went over to say good-bye.

We were also given a vet's report from when he was eight months old. It appears that he lived in same home from the time he was a kitten. Attached is an article of his circumstances and how he got to the adoption agency. I've attached the second article because Brandy is actually mentioned in it. Our biggest concern is how well he'll adapt to a house with no other cats. But who know...if we adapt well to having him around, maybe we'll get him a companion if he appears lonely.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/546076
    http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/Local/article/146854

I vote for number 2.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Oh, sure on FA's thread you post an adorable picture of a kitty. On my thread with my children present you post two disgusting pictures of ladies of dubious rep. Nice.

Enjoy the cat FA. As long as you keep an eye on it, the piggys should be ok.
    The Piggie cage is up on a table. He could hear noises coming from up there and was very, very curious. I picked him up and showed him what was in the cage. Once his curiousity was satisfied he didn't give the cage a second glance. So I think that we'll be fine. The cat does still have his claws though, so until I'm more comfortable with him I'm going to keep them separated when I'm not at home...just for a little while.

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Must hold back.

There are SO MANY jokes that I could make in this thread but I won't....

Da "Modicum of Decorum" Worfster

Glad I'm not the only one who's mind went straight to the gutter on this one.

FA, you got a nice.....um, well.....................cat there.

We have two cats along with the dog. One cat is as mean as a cuss and one in retarded. Seriously, she is retarded. She does not land on her feet when dropped, she sits on the back of a chair with her nose 1 inch away from a wall and stares at it for hours, she seems to be frightened by things that are not there and seems to get lost a lot inside the house. Sweet cat but not all there.

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Seriously, she is retarded. She does not land on her feet when dropped
    STOP DROPPING YOUR CAT! No wonder she has problems!

Have you had her eyes checked? It sounds like she may have poor vision.

Comments of a suggestive nature will not be tolerated in this thread.

Control yourselves! All of you!
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 01-05-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Those types of comments will not be tolerated in this thread.

But Ma..

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    But Ma..
    Tigger

JSE
    STOP DROPPING YOUR CAT! No wonder she has problems! .
    I've only tried it a couple times. Long ago.

Have you had her eyes checked? It sounds like she may have poor vision.
    Yeah, her vision is not what it used to be. She is 17 now. However, she was retarded before her vision started to fail. My wife rescued her and her brother (now deceased, the brother cat, not my wife's actual brother) from being drowned in a bucket by her neighbor. The boy cat was next up but the retarded one was already in the bucket being drowned when the wife grabbed her. I'm guessing she had some brain damage from lack of oxygen. She's a very cool cat and sweet as can be. She does not take crap from my dog either. The dog is scarred to death of her.

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    I've only tried it a couple times. Long ago.

Yeah, her vision is not what it used to be. She is 17 now. However, she was retarded before her vision started to fail. My wife rescued her and her brother (now deceased, the brother cat, not my wife's actual brother) from being drowned in a bucket by her neighbor. The boy cat was next up but the retarded one was already in the bucket being drowned when the wife grabbed her. I'm guessing she had some brain damage from lack of oxygen. She's a very cool cat and sweet as can be. She does not take crap from my dog either. The dog is scarred to death of her.
    People actually drown kittens? I thought that was just a hollywood myth. That's so sick!

I'm glad that your wife was there to save them and give them a good life.

JSE
    People actually drown kittens? I thought that was just a hollywood myth. That's so sick!

I'm glad that your wife was there to save them and give them a good life.

Yeah, it was in Fort Worth, Texas. Up near the Dallas area where "Rich" is close to. Dang North Texas hillbillies! You gotta watch'um. Not that Rich would drown a cat.

Suspended
    How the heck am I missing all these posts from Cartman???

If I'd seen a neighbor trying to drown a pet of ANY kind in a bucket of water, the perpetrator's head would've quickly been substituted. There's no excuse whatsoever for that kind of thing, and sh!t like this makes me very angry.

I'm coming closer every day to stopping in at the local Animal Control office to complain about my nextdoor neighbor who brings home dogs, puts them in the yard and totally ignores them. They bark at night and cry during the day. I can't prove it because I was looking over top of the fence between her yard and mine, but one day I was certain I saw one of her daughters yelling "NO" and repeatedly kicking one of the three dogs.

Anyway, back to the pleasantries.

Suspended
    Those types of comments will not be tolerated in this thread.
    I can't find where he said that.

Quote Originally Posted by FA
    What?! What I say???

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    If I'd seen a neighbor trying to drown a pet of ANY kind in a bucket of water, the perpetrator's head would've quickly been substituted. There's no excuse whatsoever for that kind of thing, and sh!t like this makes me very angry.
    Ditto... I can't figure why the hell someone would want to kill their pet, when they could just send it to the local animal shelter or put out an ad in the paper etc to try and get it adopted...

On a nicer note: Congrats on the new pet FA!!!

I'll be adopting 2 puppies this evening... I saw one of them at lunch time... such a cute little guy (wonder if he'll still look that way when he grows up?)....

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I can't find where he said that.
    I deleted it in an effort to promote communal harmony.

Suspended
    I see said the blind man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    I'll be adopting 2 puppies this evening... I saw one of them at lunch time... such a cute little guy (wonder if he'll still look that way when he grows up?)....
    That's great! Congratulations Ajani. You'll have to post a pic when you get them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information