Forum Regular

violence at concerts

In case you havent heard, there was a stabbing at a Corrosion of Conformity concert this past weekend which lead to the death of a man and his wife was left in critical condition. Apparently two women starting fighting in the mosh pit, one being the woman in critical condition, the other was the girlfriend of the guy who did the stabbing. Apparently this monster decided he would take matters into his own hands by pulling out a knife and stabbing the man and his wife repeatedly.

I have to ask, after the Dimebag Darrell incident, how in the hell could someone get a knife into a concert, which was held at a fairly small venue? Would it really be that much of an inconvenience to have the security at the door run a wand over everyone who enters?

It makes me sick that crap like this has to happen at a metal show. As if heavy metal doesnt have a bad enough reputaion already, some jerk-off has to pull a stunt like this. I'm sure a few on this board will respond with crap like "well, when you listen to that satan crap, thats what happens"

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    They are not loaded enough.
    Look & Listen

well, when you listen to that satan crap, thats what happens

Forum Regular

wow

two wonderful responses

Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    well, when you listen to that satan crap, thats what happens

Duds I guess I get to say it:

"well, when you listen to that satan crap, thats what happens"

I know there's different types of metal. I suppose the above statement would apply to death metal. I don't know "Corrosion of Conformity".

Instead (you're gonna love this) I'm tying it to Stern-like behavior. Want a coarse and crude society?

Well we're getting it. As a younger person I saw Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Ozzy (pre-fest), Dio, etc and never felt the need for metal detectors. Although me and many other guys carried a pocket knife (still do). Interestingly enough this was a time when swearing was not allowed on the radio period during the day (I think the rules changed after 10:00 pm). Television was much much cleaner too - by force of law.

Times were different, sure, as in we didn't need metal detectors. I'm not even old yet (<40).

Just my .02.

Pete
    Last edited by piece-it pete; 06-28-2005 at 07:06 AM. Reason: duplication. duplication.
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Abraham Lincoln

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

"well...

...when you listen to that satan crap, thats what happens"

Actually, you were the first to say it...

"People"(and I use that term with great reservation) have become bigger and bigger @$$holes...all we used to do was smoke dope and hang out in or near our seats, enjoying the music...Buffalo Springfield, Hendrix and Joplin w/Big Brother and Tull and the Who (at the MET no less)...I remember standing on the armrests at a 'Stones gig at MSG...Ozzie&BS didn't even exist...

jimHJJ(...it's something in the water, sez I...)

P.S. Yeah you're right, Tull WAS later...
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Arg I didn't get to be the 2nd. Darn!

Pete
    Abraham Lincoln

Forum Regular

Coc

Corrosion of Conformity isnt even close to death metal, it's in the stoner rock genre. Thats what pisses me off, now they will be forever linked to a stabbing at one of their shows, and the people who dont know COC or metal for that matter will always link the two.

People are becoming bigger a-holes by the day. I've seen mosh pits at shows like Better Than Ezra, gimme a freakin break!!!! And today's moshing isnt what it used to be. Idiots try to hurt each other now, and when someone falls down, no one tries to help them up. Never used to be that way

Quote Originally Posted by piece-it pete
    Duds I guess I get to say it:

"well, when you listen to that satan crap, thats what happens"

I know there's different types of metal. I suppose the above statement would apply to death metal. I don't know "Corrosion of Conformity".

Instead (you're gonna love this) I'm tying it to Stern-like behavior. Want a coarse and crude society?

Well we're getting it. As a younger person I saw Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Ozzy (pre-fest), Dio, etc and never felt the need for metal detectors. Although me and many other guys carried a pocket knife (still do). Interestingly enough this was a time when swearing was not allowed on the radio period during the day (I think the rules changed after 10:00 pm). Television was much much cleaner too - by force of law.

Times were different, sure, as in we didn't need metal detectors. I'm not even old yet (<40).

Just my .02.

Pete

Duds,

My 21 year old nephew has told me about the pits, people punching each other in the face etc, he won't go in them anymore and he's no wimp.

I asked around and no-one knows who Corrosion of Conformity is or that someone was knifed, so I wouldn't worry TOO much about appearances . Although it may be different in your generation!

If yous can't get security to do their job (probably afraid of a lawsuit) I suggest you and a couple friends watch and enforce. See some jackass throwing punches quietly beat the tar out of him. You might, just might, be able to clue security on to what you're doing, they might look the other way (I'm sure some of them are disgusted too). Do it a couple of times and word gets around. Don't kill the guy! just rough him up.

Make sure you've got witnesses, sometimes one gets in trouble for doing the right thing.

Pete
    Abraham Lincoln

Forum Regular
    I dont go to many shows any more, getting too old!!! And the shows i go to i stay back near an exit, just in case there's another great white or damageplan incident.

Quote Originally Posted by piece-it pete
    Duds,

My 21 year old nephew has told me about the pits, people punching each other in the face etc, he won't go in them anymore and he's no wimp.

I asked around and no-one knows who Corrosion of Conformity is or that someone was knifed, so I wouldn't worry TOO much about appearances . Although it may be different in your generation!

If yous can't get security to do their job (probably afraid of a lawsuit) I suggest you and a couple friends watch and enforce. See some jackass throwing punches quietly beat the tar out of him. You might, just might, be able to clue security on to what you're doing, they might look the other way (I'm sure some of them are disgusted too). Do it a couple of times and word gets around. Don't kill the guy! just rough him up.

Make sure you've got witnesses, sometimes one gets in trouble for doing the right thing.

Pete

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...when you listen to that satan crap, thats what happens"

Actually, you were the first to say it...

"People"(and I use that term with great reservation) have become bigger and bigger @$$holes...all we used to do was smoke dope and hang out in or near our seats, enjoying the music...Buffalo Springfield, Hendrix and Joplin w/Big Brother and Tull and the Who (at the MET no less)...I remember standing on the armrests at a 'Stones gig at MSG...Ozzie&BS didn't even exist...

jimHJJ(...it's something in the water, sez I...)

P.S. Yeah you're right, Tull WAS later...
    Good old days and the tickets were less then 10 bucks and a warmup band or two. The kids now a days dont even know what i'm talking about when i was a kid going to the movies. You get two. What? Yep,2 shows. Could you even think about how free seating would go.
    Look & Listen

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Re: Yep,2 shows...

...maybe even a short or cartoon...at the very least a pitch for a donation to the Will Roger's Foundation...and you could pretty much stay all day if you were of a mind to...just bring your own candy, it's always been too expensive...besides you'd blow any savings on the gigantic tub of over-salted popcorn with the 40 weight...urrp!!!

jimHJJ(...maybe some ice cream bon-bons...)

Addendum: No Idea why this just struck me, but re: the stabbing...that's what happens when conformity corrodes and performers start calling themselves dimebag darrell...ever reaching for the higher planes...
    Last edited by Resident Loser; 06-28-2005 at 08:41 AM. Reason: addendum
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Forum Regular
    dimebag darrell?
    what about eightball evan? or tweaked-out Tom? someone said ozzie wasnt around in the sixties. Although im only 25 im pretty sure black sabbath got started in the sixties. I saw some old stuff of theirs when i was way younger and used to listen to that sctruafpf (you get a smiley if you figure out what that means) that had the standard psychadelic background with groovy colors and fractal patterns.

I didnt even know coc still around. I had their first album a long time ago. A song about an albatross, i think, reminded me of 'rhyme of the ancient sea mariner' if anybody knows what that is.
    "Flouridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."
    --Gen. Jack D. Ripper

Forum Regular
    Albatross wasn't on the first COC album, but its a damn good tune either way.

YEah, Sabbath was arouond in the late sixties

Quote Originally Posted by MomurdA
    dimebag darrell?
    what about eightball evan? or tweaked-out Tom? someone said ozzie wasnt around in the sixties. Although im only 25 im pretty sure black sabbath got started in the sixties. I saw some old stuff of theirs when i was way younger and used to listen to that sctruafpf (you get a smiley if you figure out what that means) that had the standard psychadelic background with groovy colors and fractal patterns.

I didnt even know coc still around. I had their first album a long time ago. A song about an albatross, i think, reminded me of 'rhyme of the ancient sea mariner' if anybody knows what that is.

Thread Information