Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,665

    Palm Pre vs. iPhone vs. Blackberry

    It's time for a new phone and I have a decision to make. Can anyone help guide me? The Palm Pre or the iPhone are the two I've been considering. There's no reason for me not to consider a Blackberry too though.

    The plus of the iPhone is apps, tunes, and comfort since I already have an iPod touch (so I don't really need tunes other than as a backup in case my iTouch battery dies). The plus on the Pre is the size and a real keyboard. I don't know much about Blackberry. I had one once, a long time ago. It didn't even have a colour screen. They've come a long way since then.

    Any information or opinions are appreciated.

  2. #2
    nightflier
    Guest
    Something to keep in mind is that both the iPhone and Blackberry are closed systems and sooner or later you will feel trapped by the restrictions. I was an iPhone user but since switching to an Android-based phone, I have not looked back. If you go that route, skip the Motorolla Droid and go straight to the Nexus One, or if that's too pricey, the HTC Eiris. I am still using the Droid, but it leaves a bit to be desired and was quite a shift from the iPhone - so I am planning on switching as soon as I can.

    Skip the PalmOS based ones, I think they missed the bus entirely. I don't know what it's like in Canada, but here in the US it's pretty much AT&T or Verizon if you want decent coverage. Both have pluses and minuses, I suppose, but the rest of the carriers are just playing catch-up IMO.

    Don't get me wrong about the the iPhone; it's a fine phone, but it is restrictive and rather expensive, especially if you consider all the accessories and apps you will want. The iTouch interface is still the best (the Nexus is a very close second), but that is no longer enough to sell me on a phone. The other shortcomings are by design (no SD for example), in order to generate more revenue for Apple's other services (like iTunes). While a lot of people (indeed the majority of smartphone users) will put up with Apple's restrictions, there is growing discontent and this is not a good sign, IMO.

    Blackberry is cheap and there's a reason for that. Never been a fan. There's a lot of reasons for this, but they all boil down to their proprietary system/ecosystem which is expensive and no where near Apple's. They are hugely popular, especially with the people who need simplicity but have to have a smartphone (typically for their work/business). I don't quite understand the popularity, but maybe that might just be because of price and the carrier support only.

    Anyhow, if you're looking for something slick, the iPhone is way better than either the Blackberry or Palm, but the Nexus is the new kid on the block and he's singing a pretty cool tune.

  3. #3
    Oldest join date recoveryone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,383
    I was just reading an article on this very subject. Myself, I have a older Samsung Blackjack II running Windows mobile 6.1. For me it works great, I use the MS Office apps for my work, I can use up to 8 gig SD chip for storage. But company support is dropping off for these type of phones and heading over to the newer type phones (non-windows OS).

    I always ask people what will you be using the phone for? Basic communication/Work help or a nice new toy. I feel the Iphone is more of a toy that keeps you entertain. Blackberry has always been associated with work/business and the apps that comes with it reflect its use. Now days your cell phone is almost like a business card and people will treat you accordingly with the type of phone you pull out when it rings/vibrate..etc...
    HT
    Pioneer EliteVSX-32
    Slim Device Transporter
    Pioneer EliteDV47Ai
    Pioneer EliteCD-M53

    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R,
    Pioneer Elite BDP 95FD

    Vizio VF550M 1080p
    Panamax 5300 EX

  4. #4
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,665
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Something to keep in mind is that both the iPhone and Blackberry are closed systems and sooner or later you will feel trapped by the restrictions.
    What do you mean by that? What kind of restrictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Skip the PalmOS based ones, I think they missed the bus entirely.
    I've used Palm products since their very early years. I've owned three Palm Pilots and two Palm Treos. So I'm used to the Palm OS and actually quite like it. I've never had any issues with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    I don't know what it's like in Canada, but here in the US it's pretty much AT&T or Verizon if you want decent coverage. Both have pluses and minuses, I suppose, but the rest of the carriers are just playing catch-up IMO.
    The biggest two networks here are Bell and Rogers. I'm on an old corporate plan with Bell and as long as they continue to honour the prices and perks, I'll never look elsewhere. No one will even come close to the pricing that I have now.

    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Don't get me wrong about the the iPhone; it's a fine phone...
    There are compatibility benefits for me to get an iPhone since most of my other gadgets are Apple. I haven't heard anyone who had an iPhone comment about restrictions or discontent. Everyone that I've talked to tells me how much they love their iPhone. I have an iPod touch, so I'm familiar with how the iPhone works and what I can and can't do on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Blackberry is cheap and there's a reason for that. Never been a fan.
    Me either. I'm not really considering the Blackberry. Just thought I'd see if anyone could give me compelling reason to get one before I totally rule it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Anyhow, if you're looking for something slick, the iPhone is way better than either the Blackberry or Palm, but the Nexus is the new kid on the block and he's singing a pretty cool tune.
    I'll look into the Nexus. Thanks.

  5. #5
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,665
    Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    I always ask people what will you be using the phone for?
    It's a personal use phone. I want something that I can use as a phone and to check email and surf the net when I'm not home.

    Games, tunes and a decent camera are all nice options to have but not a must have.

    Cool factor is moderately important. I do have an image to keep up.

  6. #6
    Oldest join date recoveryone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    It's a personal use phone. I want something that I can use as a phone and to check email and surf the net when I'm not home.

    Games, tunes and a decent camera are all nice options to have but not a must have.

    Cool factor is moderately important. I do have an image to keep up.
    With that I would recommend the IPhone for you.
    HT
    Pioneer EliteVSX-32
    Slim Device Transporter
    Pioneer EliteDV47Ai
    Pioneer EliteCD-M53

    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R,
    Pioneer Elite BDP 95FD

    Vizio VF550M 1080p
    Panamax 5300 EX

  7. #7
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,665
    I just came across this and thought it was worth sharing for a good laugh.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    6,239
    I love my iPhone and I can moderate AudioReview from anywhere. So many great features and no matter how many times I drop it the phone keeps working. Can even receive text messages from bars in Chicago.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, Funk Firm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cone, Benz MC Gold, GSP Fanfare 3 w/PSU1
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speakers
    Focal 806V/Focal 800 stands
    Cables
    AQ Rocket 33's, Diamondback XLR's & IC's

  9. #9
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,665
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Can even receive text messages from bars in Chicago.
    Is that Sticky Bob bothering you again?!

  10. #10
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,665
    Hey folks, thanks for your input. I picked up an iPhone today. After doing a lot of reading and research on-line and then going into the store to look at them both, there were two things that played a huge part in my decision.

    1. The iPhone's Voice Control capability. As of last October, using any handheld device while driving became illegal here. Which means, not only can you not hold your phone while driving, but you can't change songs on your iPod. The Voice Control allows me to make phone calls hands free AND operate iTunes handsfree!! :cornnut:

    2. I had to sign a three year contract and I don't have confidence that Palm will be around in its current form in three years. I've been a long-time Palm user and stock holder (I finally dumped my stock just after the Pre came out when there was a bump up in value, but still took a significant loss). The company is basically now a one-trick pony with the Pre and Treo line being their only products. If they can't survive this competitive market, there will be no support for people owning their phones. On the other hand, I don't see Apple going anywhere.

    The Nexus phone that nightflier recommended was not available from my provider.

    The phone is charging now, and I'm looking forward to learning all the bells and whistled over the next couple of weeks.

    I just love new toys!

  11. #11
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    6,239
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Hey folks, thanks for your input. I picked up an iPhone today. After doing a lot of reading and research on-line and then going into the store to look at them both, there were two things that played a huge part in my decision.

    1. The iPhone's Voice Control capability. As of last October, using any handheld device while driving became illegal here. Which means, not only can you not hold your phone while driving, but you can't change songs on your iPod. The Voice Control allows me to make phone calls hands free AND operate iTunes handsfree!! :cornnut:

    2. I had to sign a three year contract and I don't have confidence that Palm will be around in its current form in three years. I've been a long-time Palm user and stock holder (I finally dumped my stock just after the Pre came out when there was a bump up in value, but still took a significant loss). The company is basically now a one-trick pony with the Pre and Treo line being their only products. If they can't survive this competitive market, there will be no support for people owning their phones. On the other hand, I don't see Apple going anywhere.

    The Nexus phone that nightflier recommended was not available from my provider.

    The phone is charging now, and I'm looking forward to learning all the bells and whistled over the next couple of weeks.

    I just love new toys!


    Glad you are happy with the iPhone. The iPhone has been the most fun I have held in my hands for years.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, Funk Firm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cone, Benz MC Gold, GSP Fanfare 3 w/PSU1
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speakers
    Focal 806V/Focal 800 stands
    Cables
    AQ Rocket 33's, Diamondback XLR's & IC's

  12. #12
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,665
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Glad you are happy with the iPhone. The iPhone has been the most fun I have held in my hands for years.
    I'm sorry to hear that.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    6,239
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I'm sorry to hear that.



    I was sorry to write it.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, Funk Firm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cone, Benz MC Gold, GSP Fanfare 3 w/PSU1
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speakers
    Focal 806V/Focal 800 stands
    Cables
    AQ Rocket 33's, Diamondback XLR's & IC's

  14. #14
    nightflier
    Guest

    iPhones, Palms, Blackberrys, and Windows Mobile

    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    What do you mean by that? What kind of restrictions?
    Despite the size of the Apple app store, the software platform is closed - this means that all programmers and hardware manufacturers need to abide by Apple policies and licensing restrictions. For example, one of the biggest complaints about the iPhone is that it doesn't have removable memory. A third-party vendor could easily develop an attachment that could read SD cards (actually I think there are a few unauthorized ones out there), but generally speaking, that is absolutely forbidden by Apple. Another big controversy was the bypassing of the iPhone's marginal DAC to provide higher audio fidelity. It eventually arrived (from Wadia) but only after a tremendous amount of wrangling and license posturing.

    Apple's primary focus is to safeguard it's other revenue streams, particularly iTunes, so all products it develops and that it allows it's partners to develop cannot harm those other products. Apple's iPad is another example of these restrictive policies - it is so badly hobbled that it actually risks being a commercial failure (some say Apple turned the revenue thumbscrews too far). With regard to the apps, most of them are pricey, have complex licensing restrictions, and are carefully selected to no compete with other Apple products. Another problem is that because of these restrictions, updates, bug fixes, and improvements typically take longer, sometimes much longer to arrive.


    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I've used Palm products since their very early years. I've owned three Palm Pilots and two Palm Treos. So I'm used to the Palm OS and actually quite like it. I've never had any issues with it.
    I wasn't implying it was a bad OS but their marketshare is very small. They were too late to move the OS to the cell phone. This could change over time, but with three other popular OSes to compete against, it's an uphill battle to catch up.

    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    The biggest two networks here are Bell and Rogers.
    Over here, the phones available on these networks have a lot to do with how well the network is received. For example, the iPhone is one of the main reasons people switch to AT&T - one wonders how successful they would have been without that exclusive contract.

    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    There are compatibility benefits for me to get an iPhone since most of my other gadgets are Apple. I haven't heard anyone who had an iPhone comment about restrictions or discontent. Everyone that I've talked to tells me how much they love their iPhone. I have an iPod touch, so I'm familiar with how the iPhone works and what I can and can't do on it.
    Check online. While the iPhone is certainly a great phone, there is a lot of discontent about its restrictions too. The iPhone's biggest challenge is OpenSource and the Android OS. Apple still commands a leading share of the market, but when you compete against a product that is mostly free of licensing restrictions, that leadership is not sustainable over time.

    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I'll look into the Nexus. Thanks.
    I think the Nexus and other Android-based phones are going to be a tremendous challenge against proprietary closed and profit-driven cell phone platforms. The growth of Android apps is staggering and will continue to increase. Right now, it's only a small fraction of the market, but this is likely to change. I've had to defend this position quite a bit here, but I also believe that the growth of OpenSource on cell phones will influence the adoption of OpenSource on all other platforms, including the PC. It's my prediction, so take it for what it's worth.

    As a point of reference, my expenses have gone down since I switched from my iPhone to the Droid, I use my phone for a lot more multimedia than before, and the integration between audio, video, pictures, and the rest of the common apps like calendars and contact lists has made me much more productive. For example, I can instantly see images of the people on my way to a meeting (helping me memorize names) and I can correlate this with the most recent emails/notes/transactions/etc. so that I am up to speed on everyone. I'm sure I could have done this on the iPhone too, but I never did - probably because "the app for that" cost too much.

  15. #15
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    7,124
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Is that Sticky Bob bothering you again?!

    Admittedly this does sound like my M.O..

    I'm perfectly satisfied with my iPhone though the AT&T service leaves a bit to be desired. I'm looking forward to increased options as the group of available carriers will reportedly increase this summer.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  16. #16
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,665
    nightflier, to be honest. I won't use my phone enough for any of that stuff to matter to me. Primarilly, I wanted a phone that I could surf the 'net with. That it includes voice activated iTunes is a huge benefit. I don't see myself downloading a whole lot of apps, but who knows...once I get using it maybe that'll change.

    Some phones are exclusive to providers here. Initially the Palm Pre was exclusive to Bell and the iPhone exclusive to Rogers. Had it stayed that way I would have ended up with the Pre as I have a killer plan with Bell and I hate doing business with Rogers (both companies also offer home phone, cable, and internet services). But late last year, Bell started offering the iPhone. So, lucky for me, that became an option.

    So far I'm quite happy with the iPhone. I have a 60 day free trial of Mobile Me which doesn't seem to be working very well, but it's not a big deal since I don't plan on subscribing anyway. For now, it's helped me to transfer all my contacts and calendar to my phone with ease.

    So far, so good. Although I have to say that I do prefer the Palm calendar system. The Apple calendar isn't nearly as good.

  17. #17
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    7,843
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    It's time for a new phone and I have a decision to make. Can anyone help guide me? The Palm Pre or the iPhone are the two I've been considering. There's no reason for me not to consider a Blackberry too though.

    ...
    I don't carry a mobile. How strange am I? ... respecting mobile 'phone use: forget the other stuff.

    Although do I pay for cell phones for my wife, daughter, and mother, they only use them in emergencies or for brief voice messages -- never for chatting or text messages. The devices are all simple, six year old Samsungs. Central Canadians: I use Rogers, <$15/mo/phone. If there is an organization I hate more than Rogers, it's Bell.

  18. #18
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,665
    LOL. If there's an organization I hate more than Bell...it's Rogers!

    My husband never carried a cell phone until we had our house up for sale a couple of years ago. Then, because we would sometimes get only very short notice of showings, he had to have one to check our phone messages before he came home, to make sure that he didn't walk in on a showing. So I got him the cheapest pre-paid plan that I could find (Virgin). He's kept the phone but he seldom turns it on. He keeps it for emergencies or to call me and see if want a coffee from Tim Horton's.

  19. #19
    nightflier
    Guest
    FA, so now that you've had the phone for a few days? How is it going with it?

  20. #20
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    6,239
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    LOL. If there's an organization I hate more than Bell...it's Rogers!

    He keeps it for emergencies or to call me and see if want a coffee from Tim Horton's.




    Ah how sweet, how did you train him to do that for you?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, Funk Firm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cone, Benz MC Gold, GSP Fanfare 3 w/PSU1
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speakers
    Focal 806V/Focal 800 stands
    Cables
    AQ Rocket 33's, Diamondback XLR's & IC's

  21. #21
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,665
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    FA, so now that you've had the phone for a few days? How is it going with it?
    It's pretty cool. Checking my email and going on-line are incredibly fast and easy. Much better than my old Treo.

    I do miss the Palm software though. Palm has a much better calendar. I'm going to see if there's an app that will improve the Apple Calendar. And I had security software on my Palm so that I could store passwords securly. So I'm going to have to look for something like that for the iPhone too. But overall, it's great! I can charge it in almost any room in our house and in my office since I have iPod docks everywhere. So, although that battery life is kind of short, it's not been an issue so far.

    So far, so good.

  22. #22
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,665
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Ah how sweet, how did you train him to do that for you?
    No training required. It helps to have a husband who's as big a coffee addict as I am.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook