Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not an athlete!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Not an athlete!

Thursday evening a friend and I decided to hit the local bike path. He runs and I ride my bike. We travel 3 miles to the next town, turn around and head home. We misjudged how soon the sun was going to set and the path has a nice canopy of trees so it was dark very quickly. I thought I was following the path until I felt my front tire go into the dirt and panicked. I must have squeezed the brakes too hard because the bike and I were flipping down a 10 foot wooded embankment.

When I became aware of my friend I could not understand why he was so upset. He later explained that he had trouble finding me in the dark and had been shouting out my name. He asked did you not hear me yelling? I must have been out for a few minutes. He was about to call 911 when I moaned. He said he would help me up and I asked for a minute to do inventory of my body to make sure nothing felt broken. I was fine so I got up on my feet. He wanted to help me up but I had visions of us both at the bottom again. I decided to climb up on all fours. Once on the bike path we walked the mile and a half to his car. I had lots of cuts and one really big lump on my left wrist. We talked about the hospital but I had great range of motion in the left hand so we went to my sisters and she dressed the wound. I put some ice on the swelling and that helped. I would have liked to hug an ice sculpture since much of my body was bruised and swelling but not as bad as the wrist.

We headed home and I finished baking a lasagna for our dinner. We drank some wine and teased each other about how crazy the night was. Then about 4:30 AM the Tylenol, wine and probably a small amount of shock wore off and I was hurting. I felt like a pinata they could not get the candy out of it. I cursed my self for not leaving the Tylenol at the bedside with a glass of water. I was able to get more sleep until it was time to get up, shower and head off to jury duty. The other folks on the jury were surprised by the change in appearance and the number of bandages.

I am feeling better this Saturday and Sunday. Off to Sears to have my glasses bent back into shape. At first they looked like frames by Salvador Dali. I also need a new wristband for the watch that was torn off of me. I am no longer finding twigs in odd places.

Much to be grateful for this Sunday. No broken bones or serious injuries but the bike will need more repair than me. Still stiff and sore but getting around well. The strange thing as I was falling and tumbling was a sense of peace and the knowlege to just let it happen. I never tried to reach out and stop the fall. That might have caused damage. Of course I might have knocked myself out early and was unaware of what was happening. All in all I was lucky and lucky to have a good friend with me when it happened.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Holy cow JM! Glad to hear that things turned out okay and you're on the mend. A trip to the hospital would have probably been wise since it sounds like you were knocked out and probably should have been checked for a concussion, but I guess it's a bit late for that.

It sounds like it could have been a lot worse. I'm glad that it wasn't.

Jury duty, eh? Anything interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I would have liked to hug an ice sculpture.
    That is Hi-larious.

But seriously, I'm glad you are you okay. I just hope your cueing hand is well enough to keep your day nice and cozy.

Peace out,
    JRA

Glad you can tell us about it

Sounds like it might have been worse. Were you wearing a helmet? Head first into one of the trees and it might have been a different story.

It's peculiar how it can take a while for the pain to set in. Ice packs are a good idea to prevent some of the inflamation.

That was a pretty close call, Buddy! Glad you're all right....

Not to make you any more anxious, make sure you pay attention to the "little things" in the next coupla days or so. Does it hurt when you go to the bathroom; do you feel unfamiliar pain in a "weird" (unexpected) place; do you "just feel funny"; are your ears ringing, etc. As you mentioned when the initial shock wore off, you became more aware of some of your injuries a while after they were sustained. These little clues may be indicative of something needing more attention. Again, this is not said to make you nervous; just a nurse and a bud doing his job....

Thanks all and each day the pain is less. I have been watching for signs of blunt force trauma and no signs of concussion. Both hands are still operational for the spinning of vinyl. I am rather bruised and since I have tired of telling the story I now claim rough sex is the reason for the bruises. Sadly more people can believe that than the thought of me exercising.

I am on the Grand Jury where we decide if cases have merit to go to court. I will be serving every Thursday for three months. Last Thursday we had selection, orientation and training. People were quite surprised to see me one day and then struggling in Friday. Friday was the first day to hear cases and I did not want to miss it. Lots of bandages and bruises along with bags of ice and a bottle of Tylenol. After all they promised us donuts.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    John, John, John...mayhap you a bevie or three before your sudden arborial stop?

Seriously, I'm glad to hear that you're alright. There's been some solid advice given here so I won't offer any. You be careful out there, good sir.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 10-05-2008 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    John, John, John...mayhap you a bevie or three before your sudden arborial stop?

Seriously, I'm glad to hear that you're alright. There's been some solid advice given here so I won't offer any. You be careful out there, good sir.

No I had not had any alcoholic beverages. I sure enjoyed several when I got home. I hit the edit button instead of the quote and began to post this in your post. Maybe I do need a helmet.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Outstanding

As for protective headgear, there's many makes and models to choose from:

The basic "Computer Corky"~

or the much more festive "GMichael" ensemble:

Peace friend, hope you feel better.

JSE
    Whatever.........................................Y ou were checkin' out some hottie on a bike passing by in the other direction. When you turned around....................."Oh *%!*, where did the trail go?

Glad your alright. Well, nothing seriously wrong. Soft tissue muscle sprains, strains and contusions are sometimes much more painfull than a broken bone. Take it easy for a while but don't relax to much. Moving around will actually help you feel better sooner.

JM,

What are we going to do with you?
    Glad you are reasonably OK now. Time for a helmet, knee pads and elbow pads. You're not 16 anymore buddy. Don't make me come out there and pull a stick out of your.... tire.
    Be careful OK? You could have been hurt very badly. And I'd miss you around here.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    As for protective headgear, there's many makes and models to choose from:

The basic "Computer Corky"~

or the much more festive "GMichael" ensemble:

Peace friend, hope you feel better.
    I resemble that!
    Oops, did I mean resent?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Errrrr....

You never tell us what happened to the bike? Did you go back and git it? Or did you leave it for the wolves?

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    You never tell us what happened to the bike? Did you go back and git it? Or did you leave it for the wolves?

Da Worfster

The bike just needs the handlebars repositioned and the seat adjusted. My friend brought the bike with him as we walked back to the car. I am going to try and ride this Saturday in bright sunlight. No more late day rides.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    JM,

What are we going to do with you?
    Glad you are reasonably OK now. Time for a helmet, knee pads and elbow pads. You're not 16 anymore buddy. Don't make me come out there and pull a stick out of your.... tire.
    Be careful OK? You could have been hurt very badly. And I'd miss you around here.

GMichael thanks for not assuming I already had knee pads.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

...and it's comment's like that one that endear you to many of us here!

Now, how do I get spewed coffee off of my white carpet?

No really. How?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn

Now, how do I get spewed coffee off of my white carpet?

No really. How?

Tonic water with lemon and salt. Fast. Really.

Can it be bottled lemon juice or does it have to be fresh?

I'm serious. It wasn't from JM's post, but I did spill coffee on our carpet (and yes it's really white...blame my husband!). The stainmaster site recommended vinegar and water. It's worked somewhat, but I can still see where the coffee landed.

Fresh would be better--more citric acid--but ya do what ya gotta do.

Best stuff I have run across is Mostenbocker's Liftoff....Here's a link:

http://www.dutchguard.com/motsenbockers.html

It will remove his blood from the carpet should you desire to solve the problem...permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    It will remove his blood from the carpet should you desire to solve the problem...permanently.
    A good tip...thanks! Maybe I'll order some to have in the house for the next "mishap".

I wasn't actually expecting responses, so thank you both. The vinegar and water solution seems to be working pretty well. As of this morning the stain is almost gone. I'm going to test out a little bleach and water in a closet corner and if it doesn't bleach out what little colour is in the carpet, that should clean up the faint stain that remains.

JM, sorry to have hijacked your thread. I hope that you're feeling better each day.

Huh? Why would I assume...... oh, wait........yeah, I remember now.
    You're a funny man John Michael.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar

Knee Pads

Don't be so shy JM, we all knew you had knee pads. Only a fool would play roller derby without them.

WEAR A HELMET. WEAR A HELMET. WEAR A HELMET.

I and the family wear them any time we ride a bike. They don't call them "accidents" for a reason. Other wise they would be called "pre-planned mishaps":.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Welp....

In case I didn't say this before J'Man, I'm glad you're alive and relatively in one piece. Care's about him we do yes!!!

Da Worfster
    Last edited by Worf101; 10-08-2008 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    In case I didn't say this before G'Man, I'm glad you're alive and relatively in one piece. Care's about him we do yes!!!

Da Worfster
    Whoa? Was I hurt?

Maybe a small edit is in order?

Thanks for caring though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information