Suspended

Non-Political OT/NA

Surely THIS topic won't turn into a political debate...

I've decided to change wireless providers from AT&T to Verizon WIreless. I went to VzW to look at plans and phones and I found what I want on both fronts, but here's the kicker: With VzW it'll cost $89.95 for the phone (plays MP3, WMA & non-protected AAC) & $39.95/mo. for the el' cheapo calling plan. BUT, at Amazon, the same package is offered without the $89.95 phone cost (advertised cost is $.01). I realize Amazon is essentially just the storefront, but am I missing something? This is a new way of shopping for wireless service for me because I always went through the wireless provider directly for cellphones and service. Also, I want to transfer my existing phone number over, which from the Verizon store I'm able to accomplish but I didn't see a way to do that when I shopped at Amazon (I've processed my order all the way up to Checkout), and having the same number is important to me.

I'd really just like to read from anyone who's gone this route what their experiences have been. Thanks.

Ajani
    I prefer to just buy phones from the provider... walk into the store and have a discussion with them if necessary...

Obama for President!!!!

Suspended
    I saw that you jerk!

Welp...

In my neck o' da woods. You gotta bring your old phone in to get the number transferred. I've never head of you being able to keep the old number when buying the phone separate from the plan.

Da Worfster...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    In my neck o' da woods. You gotta bring your old phone in to get the number transferred. I've never head of you being able to keep the old number when buying the phone separate from the plan.

Da Worfster...
    I think what you're talking about is an "unlocked" phone. That's not the case here. I'm still buying a bundled plan, only difference is the phone is essentially free.

I'd prefer to get first-hand knowledge from actual customers as opposed to listening to some shill who's goal is to deceive me, so all personal experiences are appreciated.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    all personal experiences are appreciated.
    Well, this one time, at band camp...

Oh. You mean experiences purchasing cell phones.

Never mind.

nightflier
    Well this might work. Last time I had a pricing dispute with Verizon I printed out the pages from the website and after some haggling, they honored it. You might try that....

Never went to band camp, though, I suppose you could try that too. Just make sure you bring a big instrument like a tuba (that's what the band nerds recommend...).

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Well, this one time, at band camp...

Oh. You mean experiences purchasing cell phones.

Never mind.

I think I need to be alone now...

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I think what you're talking about is an "unlocked" phone.
    Here's my problem with the "unlocked" phones...former Governor of Illinois George Ryan, mentor of Barack Obama and friend to Joe Biden, was using one during the period when he committed the acts of racketeering, bribery, extortion, money laundering and tax fraud for which he is currently serving six years in a federal penitentiary...so that's bad.

Thread Information