JSE

Need a Pistol - Advise?

First off, no NRA, Gun Rights, Personal Beliefs about gun safety, Right to Bear Arms discussions.

I will be getting a Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL) in the near future and I have been doing a lot of shooting lately. I want to purchase a new Semi Auto Pistol and I'm trying to narrow down my choices. I don't need a pistol for concealment as I have that covered with a Browning BDA .380. Nice, small and very dependable. I do want to buy a new gun for general target practice at the range and also need a second "shooter" for my wife who will also be getting her CHL.

I have quite a few semi auto pistols but most if not all of them are collector qaulity firearms that will remain unfired for value reasons. I have pelnty of revolvers but I need a semi for license testing purposes.

Here are a few of my possible candidates. Probably like to stick with 9mm or .40 cal mainly because of the cheaper cost of ammo. .45 would be nice but I don't really need that much gun and the ammo is more expensive. So far Beretta is the front runner for me mainly due to past experience.

1. Berretta 92 (9mm) or 90two (.40cal) model. Owned the 92 before and it's a great gun.

2. Sig P226 - Never owned a Sig. (9mm or .40)

3. Walther P99 (9mm or .40) - Never owned a Walther but Bond carries one so it should be fine.

4. Glock 22 (.40 cal) - Never owned one but they seem to be well reviewed.

5. Glock 35 (.40 cal) - extended barrell that would be great for target shooting.

So, anyone with any experience with any of these guns? Or, any other suggestions? Cost is not really an issue but I would like the keep it under $1K (USD) if possible. Not really concerned with the finish of the gun. My BDA is stainless but I really don't care about the new gun.

JSE

Glock. Why accept a substitute? I owned a Glock G35 for several years and loved it, though I sold it thanks to Canada's unfortunate anti-gun laws that banned barrel lengths under 105mm, (4.13").

However in retrospect I would have like the standard-sized Model G22 even better. The bigger gun feels better, at least in my hand, for regular shooting -- not to mention that the G22 would not have been banned by the 105mm rule.

I still own own a .40 cal., a Para Ordnance P16.40, but I'm kind of sorry I didn't buy the more standard 9mm.

In any case, I would only consider a high-capacity, double action pistol, e.g. the Glock G17, (here)
    Last edited by Feanor; 03-19-2010 at 06:33 AM.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    JSE,

I would suggest you consider a Springfield Armory 9mm or .45 For the 9mm XD model, expect to pay around $549 and a bit more for the .45.

If you go the .45 route, you can choose from the familiar 'Glock' look (squarish) or the more tradtional 1911 style.

I own the Springfield Armory 9mm, and it shoots fantastic. It's got a better grip than the Glock, and has a few more 'safety' features that the Glocks lack. It has the squeeze bar on the handle, as well as the trigger safety feature.

Here is a site I spend time on. LOTS of advice on firearms.

http://www.xdtalk.com/

Here is the Springfield Armory site:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/

Springfield throws a few 'extras' into the mix as well. The guns come with two magazines (clips), cable lock, loader, and a holster (although I don't use mine as I don't carry it around with me). Springfield Armory also offers a lifetime warrenty on the pistol, and their service is outstanding.

Glock offers no warrenty, not sure about Sig.

I've run about 2000 rounds through my 9mm and I've never had a FTF (failure to feed) or any other issue.

I'd be happy to answer more questions if you have them.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

JSE
    Thansk Feanor and G'Beefy.

I think if I go with a Glock, it would be the G34/35 for the extra barrel length.

I will also check out the Springfield models. Just after a short look at the website, the XD Model 5 looks interesting with it's longer 5 inch barrel. I'll have to check it out. I would mainly be target shooting so the extra length would be nice.

I love and have a few 1911 style pistols but wanted to mabye stick with something a little more "modern" this time around. I've got a few Colt Gold Cups as well as other 1911 style pistols and a couple of them have been fired. My wife tried out one of the Gold Cups and did not like the size & weight of the gun and the .45 was a little much for her. I also have two Colt Delta Elites of which one has been fired. But 10mm is a bit much for her, and me for that matter as a target pistol. It's probably my favorite gun though.

Thanks for the info.

JSE

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Dude, stay away from the Glocks. Only a chimp would own a Glock!:

Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

I bought the Military vesion of the M-9 Baretta and love it. Its a 9mm and ammo is relatively inexpensive at about $14 for 50 rounds. Its an excellent gun. I have a friend that is a Marine Sniper and I consulted him before buying a pistlol and he loves the M-9. I really like its weight and saftey features. Its easy to break down and clean. Its very reliable. You just have to keep it clean after shooting 100 rounds at the range, just like any gun. I think its a much nicer and safer gun than a Glock.

Also, remember that .45 ammo is very expensive compared to 9mm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M9_pistol

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m9.htm

The price listed in that link is the military cost. It cost more, about $500-600. It comes with 2 ammo clips and 2 pistol grips. You could probably buy the civilian version for a little less. We bought the U.S. Navy version at Gander Mountain. Here's apicture of it.

https://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=JS92F09
    Last edited by blackraven; 03-18-2010 at 02:14 PM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I bought the Military vesion of the M-9 Baretta and love it. Its a 9mm and ammo is relatively inexpensive at about $14 for 50 rounds. Its an excellent gun. I have a friend that is a Marine Sniper and I consulted him before buying a pistlol and he loves the M-9. I really like its weight and safter features. Its easy to break down and clean. Its very reliable. You just have to keep it clean after shooting 100 rounds at the range, just like any gun. I think its a much nicer and safer gun than a Glock.

Also, remember that .45 ammo is very expensive compared to 9mm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M9_pistol

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m9.htm

The price listed in that link is the military cost. It cost more, about $500-600. It comes with 2 ammo clips and 2 pistol grips. You could probably buy the civilian version for a little less. We bought the U.S. Navy version at Gander Mountain. Here's apicture of it.

https://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=JS92F09
    The Beretta is still the front runner so far. Either the 92/M9 or the newer 90two model. I have never held the newer 90two and would be interested in getting a feel for it. Looks a little more "ergonomic" and customizable with different stock grips. I can also get it in .40 cal. if I so desired.

And yes, .45 ammo is significantly more expensive. For mainly target shooting, it makes since to go the 9mm or .40 cal route.

Now for home protection? My Colt Delta Elite 10mm will do the trick. That is one hell of a gun. Got a "Dirty Harry" S&W 44 as well. I think it weighs about 10 pounds unloaded.

My son wanted me to buy these pistols-

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=

The one below fires 410 shot gun shells as well as .45's.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...crumbseries=41

But what you really need for protection is this .50 call Desert Eagle pistol.

http://www.deserteaglepro.com/item/6...EAGLE_50A.aspx
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended

My Taurus 9mm

A good, full size beginners gun. Great value for the money. For the record... I HATE Glocks. Ugly with not an ounce of style.

Very nice pistol Rich. Taurus makes some nice looking guns at good prices. Your Taurus looks pretty much the same as my M-9.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Thanks blackraven. Hogue grips that replaced the stock ones (you can see where I buggered up the screw there when I was changing them, which had me kicking myself) and I was fortunate enough to get this with the 12 round clip just before the law, IIRC was changed to no more than 8 rounds.

It's a PT 92 AFS, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Thanks blackraven. Hogue grips that replaced the stock ones (you can see where I buggered up the screw there when I was changing them, which had me kicking myself) and I was fortunate enough to get this with the 12 round clip just before the law, IIRC was changed to no more than 8 rounds.

It's a PT 92 AFS, BTW.
    We bought our pistol last year and it came with 2x15 round clips and we bought a 3rd.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Oh and shooting holes in stereotypes.
    Holy cow, talk about surprises...I never woulda believed Feanor owned a gun...
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    Holy cow, talk about surprises...I never woulda believed Feanor owned a gun...
    It shows to go ya ...

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    My son wanted me to buy these pistols-

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=

The one below fires 410 shot gun shells as well as .45's.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...crumbseries=41

But what you really need for protection is this .50 call Desert Eagle pistol.

http://www.deserteaglepro.com/item/6...EAGLE_50A.aspx

Actually had a Desert Eagle for a while back in the 90's. Beast of a gun. Shot it a few times and it actually handled pretty good for it's size. I ended up trading it for a Colt Gold Cup.

Seems like it was not made my Magnum Research back then? Could be wrong though.

JSE

A good, full size beginners gun. Great value for the money. For the record... I HATE Glocks. Ugly with not an ounce of style.
    That is one nice Taurus Rich. I like the wood grips. Gives it some class.

The PT 92 AFS is a direct copy/clone of the famous Beretta 92. I've shot several Taurus pistols over the years including the blue/black version of your gun. They are outstanding guns that do not give up any quality to Beretta.

Dude, we need to go shooting one day! Do you have your CHL?

Quote Originally Posted by JSE

Here are a few of my possible candidates. Probably like to stick with 9mm or .40 cal mainly because of the cheaper cost of ammo. .45 would be nice but I don't really need that much gun and the ammo is more expensive. So far Beretta is the front runner for me mainly due to past experience.

1. Berretta 92 (9mm) or 90two (.40cal) model. Owned the 92 before and it's a great gun.

2. Sig P226 - Never owned a Sig. (9mm or .40)

3. Walther P99 (9mm or .40) - Never owned a Walther but Bond carries one so it should be fine.

4. Glock 22 (.40 cal) - Never owned one but they seem to be well reviewed.

5. Glock 35 (.40 cal) - extended barrell that would be great for target shooting.

JSE
    Since you mention it, I must say I've long admire the SIG Sauer though I've never owned one either. I believe various US agencies use the SIG (though not the Army). Haha! I notice that Mulder and Scully carried SIGs on X Files.

(This is the P226 X-Five Competition)

The P226 comes in both 9mm and 40 Cal. Just the way I feel about it, but I'd prefer either of 45 ACP. Haven't checked it out, but I suppose the 9mm is more popular than the 40 Cal given military usage, nevertheless I understand the 40 is pretty popular with police forces. I guess a lot of people see the 40 Cal as good compromise between the 45 (stopping power) and 9mm (penetration).

I load my own ammo, (or used to: haven't done much shooting lately). Even so, 9mm or 40 is noticably cheaper to shoot than 45.

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Since you mention it, I must say I've long admire the SIG Sauer though I've never owned one either. I believe various US agencies use the SIG (though not the Army). Haha! I notice that Mulder and Scully carried SIGs on X Files.

(This is the P226 X-Five Competition)

The P226 comes in both 9mm and 40 Cal. Just the way I feel about it, but I'd prefer either of 45 ACP. Haven't checked it out, but I suppose the 9mm is more popular than the 40 Cal given military usage, nevertheless I understand the 40 is pretty popular with police forces. I guess a lot of people see the 40 Cal as good compromise between the 45 (stopping power) and 9mm (penetration).

I load my own ammo, (or used to: haven't done much shooting lately). Even so, 9mm or 40 is noticably cheaper to shoot than 45.
    That's one of the Sig's I was thinking about. If I don't go the Beretta route, I might go with a 5 inch barrel for target shooting.

Or, I could go funky and get this 5 inch Sig.....The Golden Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by JSE

Or, I could go funky and get this 5 inch Sig.....The Golden Dragon!

Not exactly intimidating -- people would think you bought it at Toys 'R Us.

Suspended
    So what happened to johnmichael's post where he talked about shooting holes in stereotypes, his roomates 40 cal Glock, guns in the Boyscouts? Oh and what was that about the NRA jm?

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman
    Dude, we need to go shooting one day! Do you have your CHL?
    Almost got my Concealed Carry a few years ago but never followed through. My pistol isn't really one that you'd consider concealable ya know. Nevertheless, I've got two boxes of bullets that I've needed to use up for a couple of years now. Let's meet halfway somewhere, sometime.

BTW 3LB, do you realize you quoted johnmichael's *struggle* but expressed surprise about the anti-American liberal's interest in guns?

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    BTW 3LB, do you realize you quoted johnmichael's *struggle* but expressed surprise about the anti-American liberal's interest in guns?
    its called a 'misdirect'...classic comedic devise
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Thread Information