Most hated cliches.

I was on espn.com when I saw the tag line: "Venus in it to win it."

In it to win it. How quaint...

I HATE that phrase!!!

I s'pose I should be greatful that they cleared that up. After all, I'd always assumed professional athletes merely competed for giggles. Winning is an afterthought...unless of course, they are in it to win it.

Ugh.

Another popular phrase right now is "Git R Done." I don't know who started this backwardass country bumpkin bullsh!t, but they should be taken into the woods, forced to squeal like a pig, and then shot on site.

"You know wot I'm sayin'?" This is particularily annoying when it's used after ever f'n sentence!

What are some of the phrases used in the modern vernacular that simply push your buttons? Do tell!

fergot... whasa XLR3?
    "All I have to say is..." followed by another 10 minutes of useless rhetoric with more "All I have to say"s interspersed sporadically. Drives me nutz and it's a short trip!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I always hated people who finish every sentence with "right?"...including the raised inflection as if they're trying to ask you if you believe them, makes me wonder if they believe themselves.
    Here in Canada, people really do place "eh" after an aweful lot of sentences...as in "how's it goin', eh?"
    Which surprisingly isn't that annoying...guess it's no different than someone from Brooklyn saying "eh, how's it goin?"
    My college bound little sister has a bad tendency to insert "like" 2.5 times into every sentence...which is really annoying, but not as bad as when I lived in Atlanta and my neighbour inserted "f'n" into a sentence 2.5 times...oh...wait, did I mention SHE was a DOCTOR!

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Another popular phrase right now is "Git R Done." I don't know who started this backwardass country bumpkin bullsh!t, but they should be taken into the woods, forced to squeal like a pig, and then shot on site.

"You know wot I'm sayin'?" This is particularily annoying when it's used after ever f'n sentence!
    The popularity of this phrase has emboldened and empowered rednecks to a dangerous level. Until now, they've stayed put here in the south. But fortunately for me and unfortunately for you the popularity of that phrase has encouraged them to pack up and invade metro areas with hopes and dreams that their ignorance is now marketable. I have no sympathy for you as I have had to put up with this ignorant bullsh*t all my life. I can't wait til you see that phrase emblazened across that narrow strip of tint at the top of the windshield of a beat up old pickup truck with smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Actually, that should be your clue as to how you can turn them away before they overtake your area. Most redneck vehicles cannot pass a state inspection. That's one thing you have in your favor. My state doesn't require vehicle inspections. And of course no one here knows what an "emission" is.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    The popularity of this phrase has emboldened and empowered rednecks to a dangerous level. Until now, they've stayed put here in the south. But fortunately for me and unfortunately for you the popularity of that phrase has encouraged them to pack up and invade metro areas with hopes and dreams that their ignorance is now marketable. I have no sympathy for you as I have had to put up with this ignorant bullsh*t all my life. I can't wait til you see that phrase emblazened across that narrow strip of tint at the top of the windshield of a beat up old pickup truck with smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Actually, that should be your clue as to how you can turn them away before they overtake your area. Most redneck vehicles cannot pass a state inspection. That's one thing you have in your favor. My state doesn't require vehicle inspections. And of course no one here knows what an "emission" is.
    ROFLMAO

This brings back some memories of rural Georgia...

not as funny

The saying that bothers me isn't as funny as the above. But, I hate when someone is telling a very long story that could have been told in 30 seconds. After 10 minutes of rambling they come out with, "to make a long story short,.." Well, it's too frickin' late for that buddy. Your story is already too long!
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

No way!

Check out this picture that a coworker just sent me.

[IMG]
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Talking Bwaahahahahaha!

STOP IT MAN! Yer killin' me! Heehee! Hooo!

Awww....dammit...

Now I gotta change my pants.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I always hated people who finish every sentence with "right?"...including the raised inflection as if they're trying to ask you if you believe them, makes me wonder if they believe themselves.
    Ah, but what if they're Brits? The English use this as much as canadians use...

Here in Canada, people really do place "eh" after an aweful lot of sentences...as in "how's it goin', eh?"
    Which surprisingly isn't that annoying...
    Clearly, your feelings stem from a deep seated respect for Bob and Doug McKenzie. Right hoser?

Ah, but what if they're Brits? The English use this as much as canadians use...
    Actually the "right" was more of a Georgian/Maine thing than a Canadian thing in my experience, wasn't awar the Brits do it too...they made the language, I guess they have first dibs on bad habbits..
    Clearly, your feelings stem from a deep seated respect for Bob and Doug McKenzie. Right hoser?
    Sorry topspeed, I haven't got a clue who Bob and Doug are...this compeletely went over my head, but now you have to explain it to me.
    And who are you callin' a hoser??? (and what is a hoser ?)

Forum Regular

Git er done

Is from the comedian known as LArry The Cable guy. He's always on Comedy Central with Ron White and that jackass who started "you might be a redneck if..." it's called the Blue Collar Comedy Tour.

I was on espn.com when I saw the tag line: "Venus in it to win it."

In it to win it. How quaint...

I HATE that phrase!!!

I s'pose I should be greatful that they cleared that up. After all, I'd always assumed professional athletes merely competed for giggles. Winning is an afterthought...unless of course, they are in it to win it.

Ugh.

What are some of the phrases used in the modern vernacular that simply push your buttons? Do tell!

Larry the cable guy.

Ever hear his take on current events? Check out some of his commentaries.

http://www.larrythecableguy.com/commentary/

Liberals don't like him but after all the shiite the dems and repubs have had to offer us lately, I'm 'bout ready to vote for him in '08
    Last edited by markw; 06-30-2005 at 02:04 PM. Reason: oops... forgot the link!

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Sorry topspeed, I haven't got a clue who Bob and Doug are...this compeletely went over my head, but now you have to explain it to me.
    And who are you callin' a hoser??? (and what is a hoser ?)
    Kex! You haven't seen Strange Brew, eh? How can you like beer and not know about Bob & Doug McKenzie, eh? You hoser!

They are kind of like a Canadian Blues Brothers. Just without the Blues.

Or the band.

Or the sunglasses.

Or Aretha.

OK, OK, they aren't anything like the Blues Brothers! They are comedy routine from SCTV but you would have to live under a rock to not have heard their "12 Days of Christmas" song which is almost as famous as Bing's version!

Here are some fun sound bites to give you a taste:
    http://www.wavsite.com/sounds/44134/strange05.wav
    http://www.wavsite.com/sounds/44134/strange09.wav

I googled and found this link:
    http://bobanddoug.com/old/bdmovies.html

Be forewarned, I don't know if it works and I take no responsibility for virus' or any other things that may be harmful to your computer. Just rent the movie, it's easier.
    Last edited by topspeed; 06-30-2005 at 03:19 PM.

I use to love SCTV, it still plays on some Canadian Comedy Network here as reruns...I think I'll have to rent this soon.
    I'm only 1/2 Canadian, the boys at the office rib me hard for not having seen "Slap Shot", the definitive hockey movie too...
    Guess I got my July 1st/4th extra-long weekend cut-out for me...

Thread Information